50mph limit

Having driven from the Midlands to Furness NW Scotland for hols with the old wobbly box behind it was very noticeable how much difference the new 50mph speed limit is making. I thought it was in the truck but you never know if it’s just road conditions.

Someone got something right at last

It’s still 40mph in Scotland isn’t it? The increase was for England & Wales.

I drove over to Dumfries the other week & the signs still said its 40 for trucks.

midlifetrucker:
Having driven from the Midlands to Furness NW Scotland for hols with the old wobbly box behind it.

Someone got something right at last

Unless he uses his truck to pull his caravan I think we can assume correctly that he means driving his car, and that with the new hgv limit it’s a better drive.
What’s happened with all this “carnage” promised by BRAKE and other pointless groups?

I have to admit driving is more pleasurable now we have the 50mph target, sure cars will still go for the daft overtake but I find myself more helpfull now and even dare I say using the old left indicator flick to signal a clear passing opportunity. Need to be very careful with this for obvious reasons.

By and large we tend to be behaving ourselves, theres still some nutters about in trucks but these tend to be the usual suspects, add to the mix the fact we are no longer watching the speedo to closely and are basing speed on conditions with more attention paid to the road ahead whilst watchin a film on the tablet its working quite well.

Dipper_Dave:
I have to admit driving is more pleasurable now we have the 50mph target, sure cars will still go for the daft overtake but I find myself more helpfull now and even dare I say using the old left indicator flick to signal a clear passing opportunity. Need to be very careful with this for obvious reasons.

By and large we tend to be behaving ourselves, theres still some nutters about in trucks but these tend to be the usual suspects, add to the mix the fact we are no longer watching the speedo to closely and are basing speed on conditions with more attention paid to the road ahead whilst watchin a film on the tablet its working quite well.

Usual suspects being people like McBurneys? Seen No end of speeding offences and using outside lane of a motorway by that lot.

But yes, for the most part it’s working well. I’ll use the left indicator flick if it’s safe to do so. But there are still some people driving trucks who seem to think that 50mph means I can just sit on the limiter and it’ll be fine because what’s an extra 6mph going to do.

Some parts of Scotland are 50mph. The A9 all the way to Inverness is 50mph average speed for trucks and cars. You’ll see signs with a picture of a truck and 7.5T and above 50mph or something along those lines. Why they can’t just keep up with the rest of the UK on it I don’t know.

rob22888:
It’s still 40mph in Scotland isn’t it? The increase was for England & Wales.

I drove over to Dumfries the other week & the signs still said its 40 for trucks.

A9 is under trial and to be honest that pretty much is Scotland

I noticed the difference a few weeks ago when I travelled on Bank Holiday friday in my car from Derbyshire to Castle Combe race circuit to collect a trailer, most ‘heavies’ on the Fosse Way were doing a steady 50 so didn’t hold traffic up at all. Of course there were a few cars/vans who just had to get past but generally the traffic moved along nicely.

Pete.