50ft containers?!?

Saw one of these on the A34 on a new longer trailer of Malcolms.

Are anyone else using these or just Malcolms?

Still behind the US though who have just started using 58ft trailers

Presumably, these 50 footers all have a steered rear axle design? Lehmans run a few, and i suspect theyre catching on elsewhere.

Can`t really compare us to the states though - they have a LOT more available space to move around in. Generally, wider roads/highways and urban sprawl - not a million tiny villages/market towns that we have to negotiate.

Bigger trailers = less wagons = less drivers.

remember a few years ago when a few firms where looking at road trains two artic trailers think is was stan robinson ? we don’t have the roads or parking for such things imagine trying to park up at a motor way service with one of them things :smiley:

Drift:

Doesn’t work like that though does it? It might sound like that what will happen but it won’t

You’ll find a lot of manufacturers limit production to what they can store/transport, bigger trailers means more goods can be moved and less has to be stored. An extra 10ft is not going to break the backs of anything, It’ll take a massive drop in productivity before you need to worry about the industry needing less drivers

crannman:
remember a few years ago when a few firms where looking at road trains two artic trailers think is was stan robinson ? we don’t have the roads or parking for such things imagine trying to park up at a motor way service with one of them things :smiley:

I never understood why they didn’t go with some kind of set up like in Norway/Sweden, Large rigid with an artic trailer on a dolly, seems more logical than a double 40ft setup

crannman:

If the Dutch can make running LZV’s work, in a country as small and congested as the Netherlands, there is absolutely no excuse for this island not to pull it’s finger out of it’s arse.

crannman:

Sure it was debens (don’t quote me tho)

mr_terriers:

crannman:

Sure it was debens (don’t quote me tho)

I won’t quote you? :laughing: As I’m pretty sure it was Denby’s who were making a big fuss over pulling 2 trailers, and also as said Stan Robinson.
But they had different set ups. I believe Denby’s were a standard trailer piggy backing of a modified trailer with a 5th wheel and Stan Robinson had a draw bar type design.

But I don’t think there is any government that would risk the backlash from road safety group and Daily Mail readers to allow these on UK roads, so instead they’ve allowed a 10 years trail of the longer trailers.

Denbys_June2012_025-620x353.jpg

denbytransport.co.uk/special … nk_trailer

I think Denby did actually take his out on the road and got about 50 yards before the police collared him.

It came at around the time of his very unfortunate use of a certain woodpile-related phrase when live on Radio 2 which had Vine(?) flapping, if I recall… :laughing:

Drift:

its same with deckers pal…

seth 70:

Drift:

its same with deckers pal…

Yup I suppose your both right :wink: