50 mph

did accident rate go up after the introduction of 50 limit…I thought it would but I have not read anything or heard so all must be ok

No it didn’t. I reckon they put it up due to how many were doing 50MPH anyway.

What we on about here…■■?

The single carriageway 40 to 50…?

Thought Scotland would have followed suit by now… :unamused:

Oh, hang on…

It’s because it’s all about the money…

Most of us could have told the powers that be decades ago that 50 was a better speed, due to it stopping so many of the suicidal overtakes from car and van drivers who understandably became frustrated at 40 or less on the open road.
Yes people still overtake, but when a car speedo is showing around 55 or so on a single carriage road it alleviates frustration from the incompetent, the competent will always be able to overtake safely, win win.

Similarly we could have told them that running the road down into a single lane at M6/A14 junction would end up in the death and maiming of innocents, as it did.

We could tell them that live lane hard shoulder running on unlit motorways would result in death and destruction too, it has and it will continue to do so.

Unfortunately no bugger with any say in these matters and worth the time of day is listening, it’s always been a British issue that people who have done the job, any job, man and boy for decades are never listened to, wrong class usually.

well said judian

It never ceases to amaze me when university professors go on the t.v. and say that they have researched and discovered things that our grand parents thought was just common sense. They discovered that old footballers had brain injuries from heading the old leather footballs. We have been calling them heid the baw and baw heid for years. Translation head the ball and ball head.

Juddian:
Most of us could have told the powers that be decades ago that 50 was a better speed, due to it stopping so many of the suicidal overtakes from car and van drivers who understandably became frustrated at 40 or less on the open road.
Yes people still overtake, but when a car speedo is showing around 55 or so on a single carriage road it alleviates frustration from the incompetent, the competent will always be able to overtake safely, win win.

Similarly we could have told them that running the road down into a single lane at M6/A14 junction would end up in the death and maiming of innocents, as it did.

We could tell them that live lane hard shoulder running on unlit motorways would result in death and destruction too, it has and it will continue to do so.

Unfortunately no bugger with any say in these matters and worth the time of day is listening, it’s always been a British issue that people who have done the job, any job, man and boy for decades are never listened to, wrong class usually.

Ain’t that a fact. :wink: