5+ years of 50mph & narrow lanes on M62?

highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/ … -motorway/

This makes grim reading. Means narrow lanes & 50mph average speed checks up Windy Hill and over the tops from early 2023, finish times anywhere between 2025 & 2030 :open_mouth:

What could possibly go wrong?

rob22888:
M62 junction 20 to 25 smart motorway - National Highways

This makes grim reading. Means narrow lanes & 50mph average speed checks up Windy Hill and over the tops from early 2023, finish times anywhere between 2025 & 2030 :open_mouth:

What could possibly go wrong?

They may actually finish on time :laughing: :laughing:

I thought all new “smart motorway” construction had been put on hold,due to various enquires.

As if the M62 wasn’t bad enough already!

We have had a fair amount of experience of this on the M20 between Ashford and Maidstone so yes you do get some hold ups for disabled vehicles and muppets who can’t drive without hitting the vehicle in front, but since I have to pay for the fuel I use, I found that being retricted to 50 mph was cheaper and in the end more relaxing than the continual overtakes, change lanes and wondering if someone is going to pull out in front of me. The time difference over some 14 miles? around 3 minutes; that won’t make News at Ten.

There only just finished doing the m62 to M60 stretch and. The m60 from Trafford centre to Rochdale.
I live in South Manchester work in Trafford park.
And all these upgrades have done nothing the congestion is still as bad is ever.
If anything I’d say it’s made it worse on the anticlockwise M60
Where it goes down to 2 lanes for m62 liverpool. 2 lanes m60. .always ques there no matter what time.of the day it is.

And just to add to the woes plans have been proposed to make the m60 m66 junction into a catthorpe type of junction so don’t have to que and go round the roundabout

edd1974:
There only just finished doing the m62 to M60 stretch and. The m60 from Trafford centre to Rochdale.
And all these upgrades have done nothing the congestion is still as bad is ever.
Where it goes down to 2 lanes for m62 liverpool. 2 lanes m60. .always ques there no matter what time.of the day it is.

And just to add to the woes plans have been proposed to make the m60 m66 junction into a catthorpe type of junction so don’t have to que and go round the roundabout

Binning J13 would solve all the congestion issues there. Put new slip roads in from both sides of the E Lancs at J14 on and off of the M60 southbound and problem solved.

cav551:
We have had a fair amount of experience of this on the M20 between Ashford and Maidstone so yes you do get some hold ups for disabled vehicles and muppets who can’t drive without hitting the vehicle in front, but since I have to pay for the fuel I use, I found that being retricted to 50 mph was cheaper and in the end more relaxing than the continual overtakes, change lanes and wondering if someone is going to pull out in front of me. The time difference over some 14 miles? around 3 minutes; that won’t make News at Ten.

Which sort of defeats the object of all that cash spent on multi lane ‘motorways’ you know on which every lane except lane 1 is for overtaking all the traffic in every lane to the left of it.

DCPCFML:

edd1974:

Binning J13 would solve all the congestion issues there. Put new slip roads in from both sides of the E Lancs at J14 on and off of the M60 southbound and problem solved.

This ^^^^^ 100%
M60 onto M62 jucntion 14 queue are caused by traffic from junction 15 entering M60 whilst at the same time and the same space traffic for M62 is moving over to exit. Its a shambles

It is already running 4 lanes going up windy hill, so why do we need 5?

Ken.

Benefits:
Support economic growth and job creation?

Can someone explain how?

Ken.

Quinny:
It is already running 4 lanes going up windy hill, so why do we need 5?

Ken.

I’ll call it right now : you know how they put an advisory “40 - STRONG WINDS - SLOW DOWN” on the matrix boards between 21 and 25 when the wind is only a light breeze? That will become a near permanent feature, enforced by speed cameras every couple of gantries, so get used to doing the entire 20 miles of motorway at around 35mph. When it’s not wind, it’ll be “40 - SURFACE WATER - SLOW DOWN”.

Guaranteed. :bulb:

Quinny:
Support economic growth and job creation?.

Same way HS2 is supposed to, by making it easier for rich PLC company bosses to live in the nice bits of the country and commute slightly faster to London. How did that help, it makes the train bosses bigger bonuses, obviously. :open_mouth:

It’s the same crap argument they always use just like councillors often say “helps economic growth” for stupid projects. It won’t help, except pay our taxes to rich investors in the Middle East or China.

As for the roadworks - honestly its enough for me to wanna give up for an office job.

DCPCFML:
I’ll call it right now : you know how they put an advisory “40 - STRONG WINDS - SLOW DOWN”

Oh ye of little faith…its called Windy Hill so some bright spark manager will set it at 40 for no wind, 30 for breeze and 20 for above 15mph wind. Of course the people on the ground will have no override. :wink:

Remember, civil servant managers are often extra stupid! :smiley:

trevHCS:

DCPCFML:
I’ll call it right now : you know how they put an advisory “40 - STRONG WINDS - SLOW DOWN”

Oh ye of little faith…its called Windy Hill so some bright spark manager will set it at 40 for no wind, 30 for breeze and 20 for above 15mph wind. Of course the people on the ground will have no override. :wink:

Remember, civil servant managers are often extra stupid! :smiley:

20 - SPEED LIMIT FOR AIR QUALITY.

!!!

Mind you, they’d have good reason to warn us of the air quality danger when the wind is blowing from the west. :smiley: