5 Year licence renewal query

Hi, I have just renewed my licence due to my turning 50 mid June, and the new licence has been sent to me, but showing a new expiry date of the beginning of May 2018. I thought that the entitlement should have gone to my 55th birthday, and not on the anniversary of my having my medical this year. This now means that if I have the medical next time allowing plenty of time, my renewal will eventually probably be 6 months before my actual birthday working on the same principle. Is this the norm, or should I query it? Thanks in advance.

topdog1606:
Hi, I have just renewed my licence due to my turning 50 mid June, and the new licence has been sent to me, but showing a new expiry date of the beginning of May 2018. I thought that the entitlement should have gone to my 55th birthday, and not on the anniversary of my having my medical this year. This now means that if I have the medical next time allowing plenty of time, my renewal will eventually probably be 6 months before my actual birthday working on the same principle. Is this the norm, or should I query it? Thanks in advance.

The 5 year date is taken from when the licence is ISSUED at DVLA

I only found this out recently as I was previously informed some years ago that it was 5 years from the current expiry date which is not the case

Many thanks Rog.