5 lane ends

Saturday night I came back from our little campsite near Doncaster (Top Band radio contest) I went down the A1 (out of curiosity) and the new road was open at Worksop. Probably got some tidying up left to do but…NICE!!

i went through it last wednesday, and was suprised to find the new section linked up and open

I came down it too last Monday. I didn’t know what was happening and I know I very nearly didn’t end up at Manton Wood :exclamation: :laughing:

went down yesterday in the car
how much better is that

who the hell decided not call it five lane end on the sign post

Good question, Holly. The Aplyhead Hotel (as it used to be called is just down the A614 about opposite Aplyhead Gate entrance to Clumber Park, but I saw about 5 years ago some bumf from the Ministry about this mod that called the junction “Five Lane Ends”.
I see Markham Moor is going to be similar. Idont know why they just diddnt fly the A1 over the roundabout, after all there was the embankment all ready on the south side. Oh well its only taxpayers money

someone said that blyth is 3 months behind :frowning: :frowning: , not good if its true.
also told there closing the right turn across the a1 into salvos factory at easton , so theyll have to go up the a1 to grantham ,turn round and come back, dont know if thats permanent or just while there doing colsterworth roundabout.
trying to weigh up first turnaround and was thinking come off on exit for melton [a607 ], whip down harlaxton road for a few hundred yards then back up onto a1.
:question:

It was only open southbound a week or so ago, is it both directions now?

What worries me is the likelihood of overturned trucks on the exit southbound for going to Ollerton and Sheffield/Worksop. The roundabout at the top of the slip is a funny camber and the truck ahead of me carried a bit more speed than necessary to make a gap in the flow from his right, and I shut my eyes for a moment, convinced he was going to launch his trailer 90 degrees off the kerb.

Still, nice shiny tarmac on the new section. Should be nice for accidents in the wet when some0one goes a bit too fast. That stone mastic is like greased pavement for the first few years…

Ady
The turnoff onto the High Dyke (The gap) will be shut on Monday. The future is a flyover ( East/West) to save the suicide run North to East.
highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/14954.aspx
Shouldnt be too long before Gonerby Moor is connected up.( I took a scoot around this afternoon)

There is already a flyover bridge at Colsterworth, is that going to be used for the flyover? From that link pics it looks like it. Not sure waht if anything uses the bridge now so might be used/upgraded etc.

Top Band radio contest

Equipment?

Ken 2E0SSQ.

G8YMW:
Saturday night I came back from our little campsite near Doncaster (Top Band radio contest) I went down the A1 (out of curiosity) and the new road was open at Worksop. Probably got some tidying up left to do but…NICE!!

just wait and see whats happpening at kincardine buddy :laughing: opens next august (thank god) :laughing: major forth bridge next /tunnel :question: :laughing:

Ken Quinny
Kenwood TS 570 to a 204ft doublet, 60ft of 300 ohm feeder (cobbled together from 2 G5RV’s) ATU is a “Made From Junk” 993 .
A band I like, not too many Germans ( Unlike 80 metres at night)
Imp
That bridge used to carry an old iron ore line (from that nasty bridge under the East Coast Mainline). It was a single track so would be too narrow for road use.
Salvo’s was originally a drift mine to the ironstone but was abandoned due to flooding.

G8YMW:
Ken Quinny
Kenwood TS 570 to a 204ft doublet, 60ft of 300 ohm feeder (cobbled together from 2 G5RV’s) ATU is a “Made From Junk” 993 .
A band I like, not too many Germans ( Unlike 80 metres at night)
Imp
That bridge used to carry an old iron ore line (from that nasty bridge under the East Coast Mainline). It was a single track so would be too narrow for road use.
Salvo’s was originally a drift mine to the ironstone but was abandoned due to flooding.

Oh right cheers always wondered what it was used for. May be coming down then to make way for new one.

I’ve never understood why Worksop roundabout is called 5-lane ends, as there are only 4 - A1N, A1S, Ollerton, Worksop :confused: :confused: :confused:

And one more. The B6420 joined the A1 a few yards south of the roundabout now tapped into the newly built roundabout on the East side of the A1

Paul Hoggard:
I’ve never understood why Worksop roundabout is called 5-lane ends, as there are only 4 - A1N, A1S, Ollerton, Worksop :confused: :confused: :confused:

I Always thought the next one down was 5 lanes end ,a1 a638 a57 and 2 smaller roads

mezzzz1211:

Paul Hoggard:

I Always thought the next one down was 5 lanes end ,a1 a638 a57 and 2 smaller roads

No, that’s Markham Moor :bulb: and unless the A638 has moved recently, that is nowhere near there. :confused:

I know this is an OOOLLLDDD thread and I only found this when I was looking at my old posts.
Paul Hoggard, the A638 is the OLD A1 which runs from Markham Moor through Retford and Bawtry to Doncaster