5 dead in M6 crash

Bluey Circles:
they seem to run a new fleet of trucks so It would be interesting to know if the truck had AEBS ? this seems the type of incident the system is designed for - I’m still curious if it works properly.

I’ve found it works really well and you’re right, could have possibly stopped this accident. Be very interesting to see what will happen in court if driver had turned it off, like many do.

Was the hgv driver to blame?
Do you know this switchlogic?

switchlogic:

Bluey Circles:
they seem to run a new fleet of trucks so It would be interesting to know if the truck had AEBS ? this seems the type of incident the system is designed for - I’m still curious if it works properly.

I’ve found it works really well and you’re right, could have possibly stopped this accident. Be very interesting to see what will happen in court if driver had turned it off, like many do.

It’s fitted to my truck…

But frequently shows a fault light on the dash saying it’s not working. I agree that drivers turn them off but why would they wanna do that? This situation is what AEBS is designed to stop or at least lessen the effects of an impact. There are situations where a fully functional system will still fail though.

yourhavingalarf:
It’s fitted to my truck…

Curious… Is this fitted as standard to all new vehicles now (like ABS and EBS) or is it a spec’d option?

I fear if it’s the latter then a lot of firms may not even bother speccing it to shave off some of the initial purchase price, and that will inevitably then bleed down into the second hand market too.

Can imagine some of the glory boys…

"Hmmm AEBS or a roof mounted Kelsa bar, hmmm tough choice… Bling it is then…

Its standard on Euro 6 DAFs

AEBS (the standard equipment) works differently to the £3k extra adaptive cruise control. The AEBS only works if the vehicle in front is slowing, i.e. heading for stationary traffic. It doesn’t slow the truck when approaching a slower vehicle that is maintaining a set speed. If the Micra was doing a constant 48mph for example, the truck could quite easily hit it at 56. Not a good system, but the no cost option is always going to be the most basic it can be

xichrisxi:
Was the hgv driver to blame?
Do you know this switchlogic?

That’s for police, CPS and courts to decide. I’m just pointing out sooner or later there will be a case where an accident has occurred and the driver had turned off these new safety features and that this may possibly be that case. It is an issue that needs clearing up so drivers know where they stand.

Reef:

yourhavingalarf:
It’s fitted to my truck…

Curious… Is this fitted as standard to all new vehicles now (like ABS and EBS) or is it a spec’d option?

I fear if it’s the latter then a lot of firms may not even bother speccing it to shave off some of the initial purchase price, and that will inevitably then bleed down into the second hand market too.

Can imagine some of the glory boys…

"Hmmm AEBS or a roof mounted Kelsa bar, hmmm tough choice… Bling it is then…

Its a legal requirement on all trucks built after a certain date

Pretty sure it’s standard after January 16

I turn mine off because it slaps the breaks on for no reason.
Correction
It’s the lane departure system I switch off because it’s ■■■■ aswell.

switchlogic:

Bluey Circles:

This exact scenario came up at my last dcpc course. Our trainer doesn’t advise that we turn these safety features off in our trucks. He reckons it’s a bit unclear as to how the courts may view a driver having an accident that could have been prevented if the AEB or LDW had been on. Only a matter of time before someone is made an example of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:

switchlogic:

Bluey Circles:

This exact scenario came up at my last dcpc course. Our trainer doesn’t advise that we turn these safety features off in our trucks. He reckons it’s a bit unclear as to how the courts may view a driver having an accident that could have been prevented if the AEB or LDW had been on. Only a matter of time before someone is made an example of.

The deciding factor would be if there was an element of recklessness, or if they could prove that switching it off was deliberately negligent.

Both of which could prove tricky.

the nodding donkey:

dieseldog999:

mattecube:
All the deceased were Romanian. RIP

no surprise there then…

How not? The occupants were Romanian? Most people in Britain are not.

The people who died on the accident were Romanian? Most people who die in accidents on Britain’s roads are not Romanian…

Go on. How was it not a surprise.

(Being a lovable Scots Irish rogue doesn’t make you a lovable Scots Irish racist…)

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: 6 in a micra…wouldnt exactly be an odds on favourite for basil and doris to be taking the darts team home…if it was open to a wager then id think the safe bet would be flipflops or non indigenous of some description if not students etc,but d think id put my money on non pink for 6 in micra down the m6…different in eire etc,they just bail in and get on with it as per normal when the pub comes out and you cant get a taxi…im quite comfortable with my genuine opinions though they havent changed a tad from the 70s…you like what you like :smiley:

Must admit,I said to my mate(as soon as I heard there was 6 in the car)…bet it was foreigners.

Mike_:
Its standard on Euro 6 DAFs

Not all of them it is’nt

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

commonrail:
Must admit,I said to my mate(as soon as I heard there was 6 in the car)…bet it was foreigners.

and of course.you bet right…bit of a no brainer… :smiley:

el_presidente:

damoq:

switchlogic:

Bluey Circles:

The deciding factor would be if there was an element of recklessness, or if they could prove that switching it off was deliberately negligent.

Both of which could prove tricky.

Interfering with safety equipment on machinery is a breach of health and safety at work act. Regardless if injury is sustained.

On that basis I expect it easy to prove driver fault. They don’t have to prove it would stop the accident, just that it might have. Driver has made the deliberate decision to disable equipment designed to assist preventing the accident.

I would expect an insurance company to try and wriggle out on that as well.

dieseldog999:

commonrail:

and of course.you bet right…bit of a no brainer… :smiley:

Strange, I had the same chat with my mate, though we did wonder about Students too.

Some might say that it is bad taste to speculate on such things, but there are stereotypical groups who just fit the bill. A stereotype is a stereotype because they do stereotypical things.

6 adults in a micra

Play with feathers prepare to have your arse tickled. Hope hgv drive is exonerated.

kcrussell25:

Interfering with safety equipment on machinery is a breach of health and safety at work act. Regardless if injury is sustained.

On that basis I expect it easy to prove driver fault. They don’t have to prove it would stop the accident, just that it might have. Driver has made the deliberate decision to disable equipment designed to assist preventing the accident.

I would expect an insurance company to try and wriggle out on that as well.
[/quote]
I would imagine that the H&S legislation surrounding interference of safety equipment is intended to prevent removal of machinery guards etc designed to protect machinery operators etc; I’d find it difficult to believe a prosecution surrounding selecting a ‘driver aid’ to the off position would be successful unless there was other evidence of recklessness or intent toward causing an accident etc.

If it were the case that drivers would be prosecuted then why have such a simple override in the cab? Plus operators will then need to start looking at their procedures and giving written instructions to drivers that the switch is not to be turned off etc…

No doubt you’re right about the insurance companies though…