4x2 vs 6x2

Hi bit of a Noob to the trucking world passed my Class 2’s and going for Class 1’s (Well a retest) I’ve a question regarding chassis/truck lengths. I originally learnt to drive Class 1 in a Scania R440 (4x2) but due to having to change instructor I’ll be learning in a MAN TGA26 440 (6x2). Would I be right in assuming that the overall length of the tractor unit would be longer in the MAN. Apologies if this is not the right place to ask this question

Never discuss your length on a truckers forum. There is a chap on here who will be on you like a tramp on chips…

I only run 4 x2 as the general extra length of 6 x 2 doesn’t always help on the reversing exercise.

6 x 2’s are run on training because they’re readily available and often cheaper. This is possibily yet another case of a trainer using equipment that isn’t particularly well suited to the job.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

From what I’ve seen, there isn’t that much difference between the two. If anything, a trainer with a 6x2 will be running with the midlift up anyway. Why waste rubber when its not needed?

The biggest difference between the two will be how the handle. Each truck is unique, some much respond better that others.

The issue with a 6 x 2 , unless it’s a tag, is that the wheelbase is considerably longer than a typical 4 x 2. This means that, on the reversing exercise, the rear axle of the unit is getting closer to the yellow line a lot sooner than with a 4 x 2.

This is, without question, an issue for novice drivers.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: