4x2 unit for 44t work

Just wondering if you can get a tractor unit that can pull 44t.

Just been thinking as the new daf xf seems to only be available in 4x2 but has a stronger rear axle

daf.com/SiteCollectionDocume … sis-EN.pdf

Maximum weight allowed on 5 axles is 40 tonne

assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/d … -guide.pdf

stringy:
Maximum weight allowed on 5 axles is 40 tonne

assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/d … -guide.pdf

thought it was 41t or 42t■■? :confused: :confused: :slight_smile:

Yes you can,let’s see the Volvo F88 that used to run well at 44 tonne but the one really on top of the job was Scania’s Greatest the Mighty 141…44 tonne, hell! on
occasions running fish that was a light load…the good old day’s but back to today the French are increasing weight to 44 tonne and this will be allowed on 5 axles.
but as stated here in the UK 44 tonne on 6 axles.

So presuming the daf xf 2013 will be available in UK at a 6x2. Knowing daf it will be that little axle.

The French are only letting it happen as a stop gap until so company’s can sort them selves out no rushing in france

Yes a 4x2 can pull 44t on 5 axles but is serverly restricted to rail head duties i think the radius is about 1-2 miles from memory

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

The French are only letting it happen because this year they are introducing an ’ environmental charge’ on their National roads,which means that using ALL routes
in France will now cost.Going to be an expensive place to take a lorry.

Armagedon:
Yes you can,let’s see the Volvo F88 that used to run well at 44 tonne but the one really on top of the job was Scania’s Greatest the Mighty 141…44 tonne, hell! on
occasions running fish that was a light load…the good old day’s but back to today the French are increasing weight to 44 tonne and this will be allowed on 5 axles.
but as stated here in the UK 44 tonne on 6 axles.

sorry mate but the 140 was out well before the the 141, the only diff was a change of upholstery in the cab,same engine, same horse power dont think there’s ever been a f88 plated at 44t or a f89 for that matter, when these wagons were running about the max weights were 32t gross, where do you get your crap info from?

What about the UniPower 4x2 tractor units, 85 ton train weight ■■?

Green 456 why don’t you try reading what is written.

That bird in the ad has got a nice smile.

dentonkarl:
So presuming the daf xf 2013 will be available in UK at a 6x2. Knowing daf it will be that little axle.

Makes good sense to me, them little axles.
You can run 44t on 2 axles, so why fit a 7 ton midlift to run an extra 4 ton gross?

My pals Daf has a dinky axle, reckons its 0.5ton lighter than a full sized 7 ton axle.

Belgium is 44 ton on 5 axles
Holland is 50 ton on 5 axles
France will be following Belgium.
At this moment you can already run 44 tons on 5 axles in Germany, France and many more countries, but only railhead transport max 100 km if i mind correctly.

So constuction wise nothing exited, most rear drive axles a 13 ton on the continent.
So 7 front
13 drive
And 10 per trailer axle.

This is why a continental trailer can have a much shorter wheelbase.

caledoniandream:
So constuction wise nothing exited, most rear drive axles a 13 ton on the continent.
So 7 front
13 drive
And 10 per trailer axle.

isn’t a regular front axle 7.5t? and 8 with 385 tyres. 13t drive only in france afaik and a with a single tyre assembly, a trailer axle is 8 tons only. anyways, you see many 4x2 units pulling 56 tons on seven axles in scandinavia without a problem

caledoniandream:
Belgium is 44 ton on 5 axles
Holland is 50 ton on 5 axles
France will be following Belgium.
At this moment you can already run 44 tons on 5 axles in Germany, France and many more countries, but only railhead transport max 100 km if i mind correctly.

So 7 front
13 drive
And 10 per trailer axle.

The consideration at the moment is for 6 axles at 46 tonnes in France

I’ve heard of one outfit in the uk running 6x2s @ 40t, what’s the point…!?

Pimpdaddy:
I’ve heard of one outfit in the uk running 6x2s @ 40t, what’s the point…!?

Are you sure they’re not running at 38 tonnes, as the VED rate goes from £1200 to £650 or £700 to £280 with a RPC.
It would go back up to £1200 with a 2 axle unit and the re-sale market of a RHD 6x2 is going to be far better than a 4x2.

If you’re not running full weight why pay the extra tax?

Or run a 4x2 which might be cheaper to run & maintain which offsets tax cost savings etc…!? I don’t know anything hence me asking…

Going back a few years there was Belgian or Dutch crowd used to pull ECS boxes out of dartford. Red DAFs with 4x2 units and 4 axle 40ft skelly trailers. Don’t know how true it is but an English driver on for them told me they were ok to run this 2 plus 4 setup at 44t but they had to ensure that they met the regs regarding axle weights.

This kind of made sense to me because they were on 6 Axles and he said it was all full loads so no risk of overloading the drive axle as the weight came off the rear. He did say they used a couple of UK hauliers with 3 axe units to cover the stuff they couldn’t haul.

Cheers
Neilf