4months in..

my job as class 2 driver and if anyone is thinking of doing it id advise you too !
Absolutely love it now
Maybe I got lucky getting a job in a firm without experience but shows you they will some places !

Nice one mate, just passed my test a couple of weeks ago. Been waiting absolutely ages to do my CPC now though. About a month just to do my CPC theory rest. Which I’ve now passed. Then I gotta do my Mod 4 CPC, they sent me an email yesterday saying they phoned me for a place on the 20th November even though I received no phone call? So now gotta wait even longer, such a joke.

What kinda hours you doing? Days or nights? Also what kinda work you doing? Agency?

A lot of questions haha, looking forward to starting myself.

6 months in and my initial love has waned a bit due to regular 60-70 hr weeks / 4.30 - 5am starts but then I am on foodservice and money is ok. Just. Class 2.

Will start putting the feelers out new year for sumat with a more sociable start time in new year.

I got a job driving artics after not sitting in one for 27 months after passing my test, was really nervous about reversing one in the real world, and was relatively happy in my old job, as I was getting some class 2 experience in (I’d only had that four months more than my class 1) then I got made up to being the only other full time class 2 drivers (a few lads shared the other one) but then the goal posts moved and instead of doing cushy tail-lift runs, I was handballing two or three times as much off my motor than the 7.5 lads, and not getting much more money for the privilege. So I decided to move on. Local firm had started giving newbies a chance, ten minutes from my front door, previous place was about three. Now I drive a well-specced truck, don’t get any hassle, cab phone very rarely rings, maybe once or twice a week. I was given pretty much unlimited access to the driver trainer until I was happy enough with my reversing to venture out on the road. My breaks and POA most days are on a par with my driving and other work, and I get paid the lot. Maybe at one in ten drops I have to open my curtains, instead of just my back doors, and I think I’ve had to restack 2 or possibly 3 pallets in almost 12 months (which I could have just let them refuse, but I’m not that sort of bloke) I do put a good few hours in, but I’m a tramper, so I’m going to be in the motor anyway, so I may as well be earning.

And I’m earning over a grand a month more after tax than I was before, but not chasing my tail and living on the limiter just to try and get back to base. Even people that I’ve bumped into from my old place can’t believe how much healthier and happier I look. Usually start at 6am, could have been anything from 2am at the last place, and even though I come from a management background, I think I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in a job. Me and my tunes, seeing a bit of the country (in daylight for a change) and not delivering drops of anything up to 3 tonnes with a bloody sack truck that was so lame we didn’t even sell them to our customers!!! And no more spending half of my life in the centre of London. Which is fine if you’re a tourist or a Londoner, but not someone trying to park and make a delivery.

I just kick myself for not giving it a whirl as soon as I passed my class 1.

After I’d started this job, I did a few sums in my head, at my last place I had my class 2 for about 30 months and the extra money I got for driving them in that time, didn’t even cover the cost of my training, after switching jobs, I had paid for my class 2 and 1 in the first 2 months.

PaulNowak:
I just kick myself for not giving it a whirl as soon as I passed my class 1.

There’s a queue mate! :smiley:

And I agree that class 2 is probably noting more than a stepping stone for most. Or at least those that don’t want to break their balls everyday… I’m on quite a cushy class 2 gig compared to most (I think) and even that’s knackering when you walk out the door at 6:15am and down’t walk back in it until 7 or 8pm Monday to Friday.

Yes it’s an enjoyable job and I love doing it, but that love can and will suffer if you can’t handle the hours and donkey work of class 2.
You will be on the go non stop throughout your shift, and not taking POA and breaks that equal your driving and other work hours, as Paul describes above…

But I would recommend it as a right of passage and to improve your chances in passing class 1.
I just know that 3 months is enough for me! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I didn’t find that driving class 2 prepared me in any way, shape or form for driving class 1. I was driving 7.5s in some crappy places, but some may beg to differ. I guess it’s hard to manage, but perhaps the class 2 step could be removed for 7.5 drivers (as I said hard to manage, because there will be loads of people entitled to drive 7.5s that have never been near one) I just think that the expense of class 2 should only have to be footed by those that only want to drive rigids. I did mine back when you had to use a manual gearbox, so I suppose I had the bonus of not having to learn a 4 over 4 as well as bendiness but these days, that doesn’t even matter anymore. Technically a person could pass their class 2 in a vehicle identically sized to a 7.5 anyway, just plated-up to class 2.

The 12 tonners where I used to work were only about 3 ft longer, 2 inches higher and maybe 4 inches wider than the 7.5s anyway.

PaulNowak:
I didn’t find that driving class 2 prepared me in any way, shape or form for driving class 1. I was driving 7.5s in some crappy places, but some may beg to differ. I guess it’s hard to manage, but perhaps the class 2 step could be removed for 7.5 drivers (as I said hard to manage, because there will be loads of people entitled to drive 7.5s that have never been near one) I just think that the expense of class 2 should only have to be footed by those that only want to drive rigids. I did mine back when you had to use a manual gearbox, so I suppose I had the bonus of not having to learn a 4 over 4 as well as bendiness but these days, that doesn’t even matter anymore. Technically a person could pass their class 2 in a vehicle identically sized to a 7.5 anyway, just plated-up to class 2.

The 12 tonners where I used to work were only about 3 ft longer, 2 inches higher and maybe 4 inches wider than the 7.5s anyway.

We’ll find out in less than 2 weeks pal! :grimacing:

I currently disagree mate, as my 26t VAN is a lot bigger than a 7.5t, and I think for a number of reasons I’ll be a lot less intimidated by the scale of things. Yes the driving angles may differ & reversing is on another planet, but the width and general road positioning I’d assume to be similar…

I’ll find out soon… :smiley: