48 hrs & salaried question

We’re salaried at 48 hours a week which is ok as obviously i know exactly how much is going in the bank every month but we’ve just moved next door to a larger depot and we are being pushed more on our hours now so i feel there’s going to be a scrap soon between them and us.
Anyone else out there who is salaried and has a constant battle with the boss wanting more and you wanting less ?
Any tips gratefully received and no i never book POA.

bald bloke:
We’re salaried at 48 hours a week which is ok as obviously i know exactly how much is going in the bank every month but we’ve just moved next door to a larger depot and we are being pushed more on our hours now so i feel there’s going to be a scrap soon between them and us.
Anyone else out there who is salaried and has a constant battle with the boss wanting more and you wanting less ?

That’s why I binned my Corby contract for esl t+c,I was on a salary of 55 garper week,soon as the anti Christ took over they were throwing ever hour at usthey could :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: 15,15,15,13,13,13 etc etc,I just gave up in the end and went on there contract,at least if I do 70 hrs I now get paid 70 hrs,not do 70 hrs and get paid 55 hrs,
I know there was talk of putting us back on a salary,knowing there ideas I guess it would be 40 hrs p.w and we’d be doing 7/80 hrs p.w,think the only thing you can do is look for another job to be honest .

dozy:
think the only thing you can do is look for another job to be honest .

No no it’s not going to get that far hopefully but was just wondering how others coped that’s all.

What does your contract say?

DrivingMissDaisy:

Like most I guess,your guaranteed 50 hrs p.w and that’s about it,you hope your company are decent and keep you round your guaranteed hrs ,even if it is a long day,short day etc,but there is plenty who pay 10 hrs per day and want 15 hrs for it,or £100 per day and want 15 hrs for that,hopefully bald bloke works for a decent company and the can come to a compromise that’s acceptable to both,but I know plenty of lads who have had to walk over this one.

There’s an easy answer ! … Do 48 hours and stop every week, your employers will soon get the message.

Has anyone out there got the balls to pull the plug each week after 3x15 hour shifts? (ie the 4th would take you over 48, so you stop at 45…)

CONTRACTS nowdays are CRAP like Umbrella, and those agencies that peddle umbrella.

For a Salary, I’m wanting to tell the employer how many hours I want to work and what start times - not vice-versa.
I’d like a 40-48 hour week starting mid-afternoon, complete with night premiums and overtime shifts available to cover leave absence. Too much to ask for?
Fine. I’ll stay “casual” until I get it then. :imp:

Sign up to a contract that’ll have you killing bystanders sooner or later - and you aid and abet that contrived and pre-meditated crime. This, of course would make it murder.
NO ONE should be FORCED to work stupid hours on stupid shifts out of fear of “not being offered a contract otherwise”. :angry:

Beware of newbie full-timers who still have the smegma dripping off their tongues… They clearly didn’t get the job by being arsey like me, so ask yourselves what got licked to get their foot in the door? :smiling_imp:

Paid for 55, it’s always around 60. It has been over 60 recently. Consequently I’m always looking for another job.

DrivingMissDaisy:

I’m salaried and get payed for 48 hrs a week.

WTD states that you can only work 48 hrs per week as an average over 17 week. that is 818 hrs in total in that 17 week period . You can work to a maximum of 60hr in any week but you must be able to pay the 12 hrs back in that 17 week period . That is your statutory right. Vosa now are enforcing this legislation.

Winseer:
Has anyone out there got the balls to pull the plug each week after 3x15 hour shifts? (ie the 4th would take you over 48, so you stop at 45…)

CONTRACTS nowdays are CRAP like Umbrella, and those agencies that peddle umbrella.

For a Salary, I’m wanting to tell the employer how many hours I want to work and what start times - not vice-versa.
I’d like a 40-48 hour week starting mid-afternoon, complete with night premiums and overtime shifts available to cover leave absence. Too much to ask for?

Sign up to a contract that’ll have you killing bystanders sooner or later - and you aid and abet that contrived and pre-meditated crime. This, of course would make it murder.
NO ONE should be FORCED to work stupid hours on stupid shifts out of fear of “not being offered a contract otherwise”. :angry:

Beware of newbie full-timers who still have the smegma dripping off their tongues… They clearly didn’t get the job by being arsey like me, so ask yourselves what got licked to get their foot in the door? :smiling_imp:

Why would you do that if your hourly paid :confused: Your just chucking away money,this is all about a driver who is on a salary of 48 hrs p.w and there from my reading of the situation being asked to do x amount of hours more than that,so you can understand him being a bit miffed( as long as he’s not doing 40 hrs one week and getting paid 48 hrs,then moaning when he does 50 hrs and gets paid 48 hrs,which I doubt is the case.)
I get paid for every hour I do so if I do 80 hrs they pay me 80 hrs(less breaks) so why would I want to stop at 45 hrs,I’d just be chucking away 100,s of £,s

bald bloke:

I was speaking to two of your colleagues in Iceland last week and they were saying much the same, if it is anything like Stafford they bullied the drivers into getting what they wanted.

The only thing I can suggest is using the RTD to reduce the hours worked by only using the other work mode unless having to take a legally required break

bald bloke:

DrivingMissDaisy:

I’m salaried and get payed for 48 hrs a week.

Contact your union.

I don’t think your firm will be too arsey about it OP as they do bang on about being measurably the best. Just get the union rep to have a word or if you’re not unionised just get a decent chap to have a word with management voicing your concerns.

bald bloke:

LAW …Working time directive. 48 hr max averaged over 17 weeks, unless you signed to opt out. And if you did opt back (takes up to 3months) .

The law is on your side here…start reading , then speak to management in a meeting taking notes and someone with you . Become Smart rather than ■■■■■■■■ here or you will lose out.

You can’t opt out

dozy:

Winseer:

Why would you do that if your hourly paid :confused: Your just chucking away money,this is all about a driver who is on a salary of 48 hrs p.w and there from my reading of the situation being asked to do x amount of hours more than that,so you can understand him being a bit miffed( as long as he’s not doing 40 hrs one week and getting paid 48 hrs,then moaning when he does 50 hrs and gets paid 48 hrs,which I doubt is the case.)
I get paid for every hour I do so if I do 80 hrs they pay me 80 hrs(less breaks) so why would I want to stop at 45 hrs,I’d just be chucking away 100,s of £,s

If you’re salaried, you don’t want to be working more than 48 hours - ever. Even doing it on odd weeks when the firm are unlikely to “give it back” as time off on top of your stat leave means over time you’ll push that 17 or 26 week average beyond 48, and eventually fall foul of VOSA anyway.

If you’re hourly paid (which as you point out, I am) then sure, you could be a greedy bugger and work 84 hours and get paid 84 - but my argument was about being half asleep at the wheel all the time. If you have an accident and it turns out that you CHOSE to work silly hours, then it’s not going to look good in court is it? - It’s bad enough when you’re “forced” to work for some chickencrap outfit that’ll salary everyone for 48, but work them 84 by abusing POA…
Besides, a low hourly rate compounds the losses the more hours you do.
I bet there’s no one out there working 84 paid hours per week on £18 per hour - which I know some of you are getting as self-employed contractors!
If you did, you could retire at 45, just as the hours start getting to you - so where are all these “Gods of Olympus” drivers?

stevieboy308:
You can’t opt out

Driving hours no you cant, but “other work” means you can in theory do more but must pay it back in the following week …or am I wrong .
Not working due to medical problems means I have forgotten far to much !

Ted Hilly:
WTD states that you can only work 48 hrs per week as an average over 17 week.

Excluding PoA which many drivers would be paid for and breaks, some of which drivers would be paid for, others that they wouldn’t.