45hr Weekly rest, not to be taken in cab

Radar19:
How the devil do you enforce something like this? Not far from me is a layby that plays host to our friends from the continent having their 45. Are the police going to move these fellas to a nearby hotel?

No hotel receipt at a vosa or police check get fined not that hard to enforce

JIMBO47:
“in their cabs” whats to stop 2 trucks parking up and the drivers swapping units to have a 45hr break in each others unit? IM not being funny , its all in the way its worded.

This is the way it’s worded from the original EU REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006,
It doesn’t mention “their vehicle” but “a vehicle”

1. Where a driver chooses to do this, daily rest periods and
    reduced weekly rest periods away from base may be taken in a
    vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities for each
    driver and the vehicle is stationary.

So as the law is interpreted, that because a full weekly rest isn’t mentioned in this paragraph, a full weekly rest period cannot be taken in a vehicle.

Harry Monk:
Article says “The European Transport Workers’ Federation (ETF), which lobbied for the law regarding weekly rest to be clarified by the EU, has called for future working time regulations to specify the conditions that operators should provide for their drivers to take their 45-hour weekly rest, such as a hotel with individual sanitary facilities and access to hot meals” and the final eight words would cover that, although I imagine Waberers etc would just build bunkhouses in places where they tend to congregate their trucks, Calais for example.

It would probably be cheaper and easier to plan runs so that drivers get back to base for their 45 + requirement.Which maybe the intention of what the ETF are trying to enforce. :bulb:

kr79:
It’s one way of putting up an obstacle towards eastern euro firms under cutting firms.

There’s probably not much that they are doing now which couldn’t be done on a 45 + at base/reduced weekly/45+ at base/etc/etc rolling basis.

Radar19:
How the devil do you enforce something like this? Not far from me is a layby that plays host to our friends from the continent having their 45. Are the police going to move these fellas to a nearby hotel?

You’ll probably find it won’t be policed heavily in the UK, but I’m pretty sure the French and Belgium authorities will be policing it as they started this ball rolling a couple of years ago.

When you read the rules it says “a reduced(but not a regular)weekly rest taken away from the drivers normal base can be taken in the vehicle provided that it is fitted with suitable sleeping facilities and is stationary”. So reading that it is not legal anyway, is this just a announcement that they are going to enforce it and clarify the wording??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing is for sure, if this does get heavily enforced then the price of everything is going to shoot up due to the extra cost of transporting everything the general public buys. No doubt all the budget hotels will suddenly jump their prices up as well. It’d be a monumental cost for the haulage industry.

Our boss raised this point recently at a meeting with the people from TDI who we use to monitor our taco’s. They said its unlikely to be a hard enforcement here, it’ll mainly be aimed at people taking 45’s in places with no facilities such as lay-bys, but motorway services/truck stops would be deemed suitable as they have food, toilets and showers available.

It’d be a nice earner for DVSA if they do decide to enforce it though, and i think thats what worries me most about it.

muckles:

Radar19:

You’ll probably find it won’t be policed heavily in the UK, but I’m pretty sure the French and Belgium authorities will be policing it as they started this ball rolling a couple of years ago.

I think the dvsa would be mad not to police it. With fines worth around £25k, and them being a private enterprise, one trip to Ashford Truckstop will pay a few months wages

OVLOV JAY:

muckles:

Radar19:

I think the dvsa would be mad not to police it. With fines worth around £25k, and them being a private enterprise, one trip to Ashford Truckstop will pay a few months wages

2017’s Christmas party will be a rather extravagant one.

OVLOV JAY:

muckles:

Radar19:

You’re right there. The companies have a choice of treating/paying their drivers better or risking a big fine. What’s not to like.
I wonder what the definition of suitable bunks are for normal daily rest periods? (Overnight stops). Do Renault Premiums really count as big enough for 2 drivers? Do those DeRooy units with sloping roofs qualify? Should they?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Hammy747:
One thing is for sure, if this does get heavily enforced then the price of everything is going to shoot up due to the extra cost of transporting everything the general public buys. No doubt all the budget hotels will suddenly jump their prices up as well. It’d be a monumental cost for the haulage industry.

Our boss raised this point recently at a meeting with the people from TDI who we use to monitor our taco’s. They said its unlikely to be a hard enforcement here, it’ll mainly be aimed at people taking 45’s in places with no facilities such as lay-bys, but motorway services/truck stops would be deemed suitable as they have food, toilets and showers available.

Stayed in the Ibis at Crick prices from £40 a night (and Ibis isn’t the lowest budget hotel) and some of the cheap chain hotels in France are dirt cheap and normally on industrial areas so parking nearby,
so lets say 2 nights in a hotels every 2 weeks that’s £80, spread over an average 3000kms week,
I work it out at just over an extra 1p/km or about £30 for a load from Spain to Kent, how many oranges on in a truck? so I doubt it would shoot prices up.
The big problem will be capacity although many of these budget hotels rely on business trade during the week, that’s why they often have lower rates at weekends.
And I’m sure the likes of Warberers will find other ways, like Harry said buy building their own bunk houses at their regular parking haunts.

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

muckles:

Radar19:

You’re right there. The companies have a choice of treating/paying their drivers better or risking a big fine. What’s not to like.
I wonder what the definition of suitable bunks are for normal daily rest periods? (Overnight stops). Do Renault Premiums really count as big enough for 2 drivers? Do those DeRooy units with sloping roofs qualify? Should they?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The big fine is a French thing, no details on how much the DVSA will fine a company or driver for breaking the regs.

Carryfast:

kr79:
It’s one way of putting up an obstacle towards eastern euro firms under cutting firms.

There’s probably not much that they are doing now which couldn’t be done on a 45 + at base/reduced weekly/45+ at base/etc/etc rolling basis.

Apart from the thousands roaming round Western Europe for months on end never going near home.
The right hand drive wrecks running out of ports on ferry trailers on ro and bg plates and for scum like heratige that look like they would struggle to make Dover let alone Sofia

kr79:

Carryfast:

kr79:

Apart from the thousands roaming round Western Europe for months on end never going near home.
The right hand drive wrecks running out of ports on ferry trailers on ro and bg plates and for scum like heratige that look like they would struggle to make Dover let alone Sofia

As much as anything, the way eastern European drivers are expected to work in nothing short of modern slavery. I transshipped a load from a Lithuanian at Dover Western Docks a couple of years ago, he had been given an immediate prohibition for three serious defects, one of which was that over half of one trailer wheel was completely missing, the wheel was held on with four wheel nuts.

I said “How long have you been away from home?” and he said “Three months”. I said “When will you get home again?” and he just shrugged his shoulders. I said “How do you feel about doing this?” and he said “I miss my wife, I miss my children, I miss my home”.

This practice of eastern European trucks relentlessly running around western Europe has to be stopped, for all sorts of reasons.

Totally agree it’s the system that stinks it’s not Tomaz or bogdan behind the wheels fault

Harry Monk:

kr79:

Carryfast:

kr79:

As much as anything, the way eastern European drivers are expected to work in nothing short of modern slavery. I transshipped a load from a Lithuanian at Dover Western Docks a couple of years ago, he had been given an immediate prohibition for three serious defects, one of which was that over half of one trailer wheel was completely missing, the wheel was held on with four wheel nuts.

I said “How long have you been away from home?” and he said “Three months”. I said “When will you get home again?” and he just shrugged his shoulders. I said “How do you feel about doing this?” and he said “I miss my wife, I miss my children, I miss my home”.

This practice of eastern European trucks relentlessly running around western Europe has to be stopped, for all sorts of reasons.

kr79:
Totally agree it’s the system that stinks it’s not Tomaz or bogdan behind the wheels fault

Agreed, the East European countries weren’t allowed to enter the EU to benefit the worker, but to benefit the owners and shareholders of multi-national companies, many with head offices in Western Europe.

bald bloke:
And at over £21,000 it’s a proper fine too, that’s probably a years wage for many GB drivers.

And that’s the truth!

TiredAndEmotional:

bald bloke:
And at over £21,000 it’s a proper fine too, that’s probably a years wage for many GB drivers.

And that’s the truth!

Have I read it wrong , or HAVE YOU ■■ That fine is for the operator :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

pierrot 14:

TiredAndEmotional:

bald bloke:

And that’s the truth!

Have I read it wrong , or HAVE YOU ■■ That fine is for the operator :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Yeah, you’re not quite getting my point…have another look at the original post I’ve quoted here. :wink:

So what will happen at MSA’s and truck stops etc (places with the proper facilities)?

Will they run out of capacity more often, thus forcing drivers to then park in laybys etc, and break the now clarified law…?