44 ton

I am now driving a truck plated at 44 ton (3 axle unit and trailer) now the question I should know.

If its plated at 44 ton is that the maximim wieght of the truck plus the load.
So if the unit and trailer are say 14 ton then I can carry 30 ton. Think I know the answer to this myself.

Wayne.

Wayne:
If its plated at 44 ton is that the maximim wieght of the truck plus the load

Tare weight of unit + trailer = 14 tonnes
Plated weight of unit + trailer (max operating weight)= 44 tonnes
44 tonnes - 14 tonnes = 30 tonnes payload

As above :laughing:

just to add to this.
that depends on the trailer.

dave:
just to add to this.
that depends on the trailer.

Meaning?

wether it has air suspension or not.

we have a couple of older triaxle trailers in the fleet and we cannot take them over40/ 41 ton. im not 100 % sure but it maybe down to this or the axle weights on the trailer.

all im saying is that not all 3 by 3 outfits can run at 44 ton.
it also can be a lower limit due to tax reasons (i think).
on the older tax discs it used to state what configuration but not now.

dave:
wether it has air suspension or not.

we have a couple of older triaxle trailers in the fleet and we cannot take them over40/ 41 ton. im not 100 % sure but it maybe down to this or the axle weights on the trailer.

all im saying is that not all 3 by 3 outfits can run at 44 ton.
it also can be a lower limit due to tax reasons (i think).
on the older tax discs it used to state what configuration but not now.

Thanks for explaining that Dave.

Wayne.

Trailers must be air suspension for 44t running.

also, the tractive unit must be euro 2 or above.

paul

I didn’t think the engine type had anything to do with it :question: :question:

I thought it had to be “road friendly suspension” i.e. rubber or air but not multi-leaf springs.

Colingl:
I didn’t think the engine type had anything to do with it :question: :question:

Yep, like Paul says engine has to be Euro 2 or above, and the complete outfit has to run on road friendly suspension (air, or the less-common road friendly steel). There are also regulations regarding the turning circle (distance between trailer pin and centre of rearmost axle must be at least 8metres i believe)
When 44 tonners were first allowed on our roads regardless of whether they were intermodal or not there was a website detailing all this information called 44-tonnes.com, but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore, but i’ve found this via.gov.uk/vehicle_testing/h … lating.htm which seems to cover most things.
To add my ten-penneth to the original question, it means total weight of vehicle on road must not exceed 44 tonnes (not tons, as i believe these are different!). Obviously this includes oil, DERV, driver, sleeping bag, ■■■■, dinner tin, maps etc etc etc.

Too pull 44T in this country

1. 6 axle artic fited with a euro 2 engine (or better) road friendly suspension on both the tractor unit and drive axles and the axles on the semi trailer.

2. 6 axle rigid/drawbar combinations with a euro2 or better engine, road friendly suspension on both the vehicle drive axles and the axles on the trailer. 3 m minimum distance between vehicle and trailer.

A Ton is 20 cwt

A Tonne is 1000kg

They are different

Like the american truckers weigh things in pounds

you can also run at 44 tonnes if no axle exceeds 8/9 tonnes I cant remember which.

so a low loader with 4 axles and steel suspension with a 3 axle unit could but just being theoretical now

The maximum weights and lengths for all LGVs in UK are given here;

www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pagelaw/law1 … ticsweight

Thecritic:
Too pull 44T in this country

1. 6 axle artic fited with a euro 2 engine (or better) road friendly suspension on both the tractor unit and drive axles and the axles on the semi trailer.

2. 6 axle rigid/drawbar combinations with a euro2 or better engine, road friendly suspension on both the vehicle drive axles and the axles on the trailer. 3 m minimum distance between vehicle and trailer.

Just to complicate things more you, can run at 44 tonnes on five axles.(3 unit + 2 trailer) but the trailer axles must be 1.5 metres apart, on air with twin tyres.
the road tax is £1850