40 ft flat with twistlocks

i am looking with interest for a 40 ft flat with twistlocks seen 45 fts with them but not sure how you would go on with them with a 40ft box think they sit to far back for the weight when loaded or they dont sit flush with the back end of the trailer for loading anyone use one for containers ? with the 40fts would i struggle to get one running on air not seen that many of them probably gone for export in the economy range that i am looking at its only going to be used as a spare trailer any help appreciated

you want a 45ft lee, much more useful and no probs at all with 40/45 containers, with a 40" the box just sits back from the headboard and more or less flush with the back of the trailer, we use a couple for steel/container work combined without any issues

didnt think 40ft boxes sat right on 45 ft trailers thought the weight was sat to far back with a fully loaded box and they werent flush with back so couldnt get a loading ramp / bay/dock on them its even better if i could use a 45ft instead thanks for that

Hens teeth. I was looking for a tidy one for best part of a year. They were either double what they ought to be or dodgy, home made cut downs.

Finally bought an “old” Vanhool from a mate in Braintree for £3k. It’s a 41’ with 8 locks…

Suppose it depends what your box to flat ratio is likely to be in terms of the best spec.

I haven’t yet lost out on a flat load due to the trailer being to short. You can always double stack! :wink:
Another thing in favour of the 40’ is, imho, a lot of flat work seems to go to building sites or old factories/mills where, more often than not a shorter trailer is a bonus.

A mate of mine has, amongst other trailers a 2 yr old oil spec Montracon. 45’, 16 (i think) twistlocks which allows you to carry a 40’ in the middle or at the back.
Obviously it’ll ride better in the middle, if, say you lifted one on as a back load to get home and lift off at a port or yard.
Tbh though there aren’t many bargains about as the Africans are buying anything that comes up for sale. :frowning:

i didnt say you would get a cheap one though :wink: :smiley:

2 on flea bay right now
one a 45 one a 40 ft the 45 is tested as well
moose