4 over 4 gearbox

Can anyone help me here. I am a relatively new driver (class2) rigid, with limited experience. I trained in a large 26ton rigid with a straight 6 box with overdrive with a splitter.

I do occasional driving at weekends and the company I am working for have a few lorries with a 4 over 4 box. I could do with a refresher lesson or two with this kind of box. Do you know anyone who can show me the ropes on this?

I am more than happy to pay. The alternative is to hire a lorry for a day and get on with it - the trouble is finding one.

Muppett:
I am more than happy to pay. The alternative is to hire a lorry for a day and get on with it - the trouble is finding one.

To hell with that. Just get out of earshot of the yard and ‘play’ :open_mouth:

A range change can be pre-selected. It only takes effect when the gear lever passes through neutral. Typically start off in 2nd, then 4th, Range change switch up, then select 5th. Or,

Select 3rd, and even before you move off, move the range change to high, and then when you do change gear, go straight to 5th.

Remember,
Range change = Move gear lever through neutral.
Splitter = Dip Clutch.

Hope that helps.

Goes…

1,2,3,4 then flick switch then change gear back to 1st position which is now 5th gear then continue.

Just a thought but…with a gate change ( 4 beside 4.)
8 gears are created by knocking the gear lever over to the right when you change up to 5th & this is not a preselector range change.
Also don’t forget there’s nothing wrong with inexsperience unless you don’t ask when you need to.

Firstly, Muppet, welcome to TrucknetUK.

I hope these two posts answer your question, between them. Looks OK to me, but I know what they mean. If you still think you’ll be having a problem, let us know and we’ll try again. Honestly though, you should’nt have any problem, 4 over 4 is no more difficult to operate than a splitter, it’ll just take a little while to become used to it. Before long you’ll jump out of a wagon with a splitter, into one with a range-change and drive it with no problems at all.

I have just started driving a 4 over 4 and dont worry about it mate, i soon got used to it after a couple off days.
Just take your time and you will do it.

Just reading these posts…

I done my class2 training in a lorry that pulled away in 3rd, straight back to 4th… then into neutral, bang over to right, which selected high range, then back to where 3rd was for 5th…

Is this a 4 over 4, or a 4 beside 4■■?

Thought it was a 4 over 4…

Cheers
AndyM

Technical name would be side by side H pattern but most guys will just call it “slap over” box.

as andy says it all depends on what weight your carrying or what kind of gradient your on.

mine will pull away in 3 then flick the switch and straight up to5(where1 is)scanny

my advice is don’t rush it(gets embarassing sitting on a roundabout because you tryed to ■■■■■■ a gear :blush: :blush:

jon