4 on, 4 off

How many of you guys work ‘4 on 4 off’? Sounds like a dream rota to me. How does it work out in reality?

DAF_MAN

I do 3 on 3 off (not driving) its not to bad, biggest problem i find It feels like I’m constantly working at the weekends. On the plus side I take 3 days holiday & have a nice 9 days off.

There’s several threads on here about it. If you try a search you will find most people like or even love that shift pattern.

hi mine is mon tue off then sat sun mod tue three weeks 2200 one week 2300

Money must be crap though?

have worked 4 on 4 off shunting for 3 years now, plenty of time off, sometimes can be a pain working weekends if the kids are doing something, and very happy with what I get paid and holiday entitlement.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Yes but it depends on how big your mortgage is and other personal circumstances, personally i’ll love our company to adopt it as i’m more for time off in my old age.

I start a 4 on 4 off shift tomorrow again for the second time round. It’s the best shift to be on for holidays and it’s the best shift to be on for overtime especially when you aren’t a driver. When you book 4 off you get 12 off and if you don’t mind working weekends you’ll find you spend less money so it works out better overall.

Some people hate it, some people love it. I used to hate it, and then I went back to monday to friday and I started to realize why 4 on 4 off was so good. But I will say it’s not for everyone.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Not really. It should work out the same as someone doing a 5 day Mon-Fri to take into account the fact you work on a Saturday, a Sunday or both which are usually premium rate days. Bonus is you only work about 150 odd days for the same money as someone who has to work 232 days (Mon-Fri less annual holiday entitlement). Plus you can bang in an extra day overtime, still have a long 3 day break which feels like a bank holiday weekend and you never have to worry about reduced weekly rests.

Other than having to give up so many Saturdays, so many Sundays and so many full weekends on a 7 week rotating basis there’s no downsides. I honestly don’t know why the whole country doesn’t move onto it.

I have never felt more relaxed, fresh and wide awake in this job as when I worked 4 on 4 off. No rushing about on the 1 or 2 days you get off to try and fit in seeing the family, your friends and doing what you want. No waking up at silly o’clock on a Monday not feeling like you’ve not had a break.

I was on 4 on 4 off until recently, I now work 5 on 3 off, the reason for the shift change was due to where I work, the pay week is Mon-Sun. So when it came round to working Fri-Mon, you would only get 3 days day the following week(the monday being paid the following week). You could still earn reasonable money, however I find the new shift pattern more agreeable!

Fileep:
I was on 4 on 4 off until recently, I now work 5 on 3 off, the reason for the shift change was due to where I work, the pay week is Mon-Sun. So when it came round to working Fri-Mon, you would only get 3 days day the following week(the monday being paid the following week). You could still earn reasonable money, however I find the new shift pattern more agreeable!

Been there with this once before
If you are doing 5/3 and 12 hrs you are over the eu legal maximum working hours directive for workers, you can opt out, but if one persons says no or wants to do less the company will have to accomodate them…and then its chaos. But if it works for you go for it .

As usual it’s different stokes etc. I did it for a couple of years and found it to be good for me at the time. One thing to note is that over an eight week rota you will be working all or part of the weekend for six of them. If you don’t like working weekends don’t do it.

Regular weekend working is the only downer i can think off but thats obviously dependant on your own personal circumstances.

DAF_MAN:
How many of you guys work ‘4 on 4 off’? Sounds like a dream rota to me. How does it work out in reality?

DAF_MAN

IT IS A BRILLIANT SHIFT ONLY PROBLEM IS IT COVERS WEEKENDS AS WELL but in theory you are only working around 6 months of the year if you book 4 days holiday you get twelve days off,4 days off, 4 days holiday, and then your next 4 days off,absolutely brilliant wish i could do that kind of shift again i actually felt guilty taking my holidays