4 on 4 off

right chaps and chapesses

this is for those who do shift work as I need some advice

had a meeting at work last night and was told that from next month the generator contract is going over to 4 on / 4 off shift pattern rather than me on 12 hour nights and the other fella doing 12 hour days and then having to cover 1 shift at a weekend every other week

anyway whats the advantages of 4 on / 4 off against days and nights and should there be a shift alllowance for the nights??

I was told aswell that i could could come in for overtime on any 2 of the days when im off, as it would still give me the right amount of break ■■?

I work that shift but not nights and love it benifits are 4 days off and if its a rolling week you can get extra days never get anywhere near driving limits as the weekley rest requirements are not on a fixed week but between shifts

i have been on 4 on 4 off rolling week and rolling shifts, for me it worked a treat. came off european away all the time to loads of time at home, lots more can be done during weekdays off, family time was brilliant although being around all the time was hard for the misses at first as they learn to cope with all things without you, and a social life as well. miss the big truck and mates though.

ive done it and it was brilliant, like magnum said you get loads more done in the week than at weekends, plus 4 DAYS OFF :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: its up to you if you work the extra 2 days a week although if i did i would want enhanced overtime rate for it otherwise just do a couple of days on the agency.

cheers chaps :slight_smile:

think ill be looking forward to my new shift pattern and just in time for a bit of agency work for crimbo aswell :slight_smile:

Yep completely agree. Been doing 4 on 4 off for a few years and would find it very difficult to leave it.
One thing to note however is that our lot don’t allow you to drive for anybody else so agency work on days off is a No No. You might wanna check that the same doesn’t apply to you.

The one Company we worked 4On/4Off and night Shift had £100.- more a week

Andydisco:
right chaps and chapesses

this is for those who do shift work as I need some advice

had a meeting at work last night and was told that from next month the generator contract is going over to 4 on / 4 off shift pattern rather than me on 12 hour nights and the other fella doing 12 hour days and then having to cover 1 shift at a weekend every other week

anyway whats the advantages of 4 on / 4 off against days and nights and should there be a shift alllowance for the nights??

I was told aswell that i could could come in for overtime on any 2 of the days when im off, as it would still give me the right amount of break ■■?

if they didnt pay extra for working NIGHTS over DAYS i wouldnt work them

I recently had the chance of doing 4 on 4 off. I didn’t think the increased amount of weekend work was anywhere near adequately compensated which is usually the case with this shift pattern.

i work 5 on 3 off and like magnum came off a big truck doing euro work,

best thing ive done by far mate. lots of time at home spent with my daughter and g/f. and actually earning more than i did in last job

im more relaxed now too :smiley:

If you have at least 90 hours off and it includes sunday midnight then that can be used as two back to back full weekly rests - one for the week previous and one for the week ahead

Hi i do 4 on 4 off nights but would prefer the day shift version .the perks i find is it more relaxed and grar holidays as you use less days

I used to do 4on/off and loved it.
So nice having 4 days off.

Same as, I have done 4 on/4 off and it is a totally different world, you discover this bizarre thing called “a life” :stuck_out_tongue:

best shift pattern ever, I absolutely love it.

cheers fellas

last night on nights tonight then dont come into work till wednesday morning :slight_smile: thats what i call a cracking start to the new shift pattern

If you are paid weekly you will have a month of getting 4 days pay a week then a month of 3 days pay in a week.

I would find it hard going back to working a 5 day week now.

You need to be careful working agency on days off for another reason and that is the dreaded tax man! By working and doing agency you are getting double the amount of tax free income each week/month and so could end up with a tax bill at the end of the year which if you have gone onto higher rate because of the income can be 40% of what you have earned :open_mouth:

Alcpone:
If you are paid weekly you will have a month of getting 4 days pay a week then a month of 3 days pay in a week.

I would find it hard going back to working a 5 day week now.

Over an eight week period it works out at 42 per week, which is what we get paid. Working weekends is sucky but its great when you are off fri-mon then sat-tue the week after.

I’ve done that shift pattern for about 6 n half years, 12 hour’s, always nights. works great for me as usually on my 4 off im always up at nights partying with mates and sleep day time anyway, :smiley: . good when you just have take only 4 days off also and what with your normal 4 off before and after works out a nice 12 day break…ding…dong