4 on, 4 off?

i’m currently working 5 on 2 off and 6 on 1 off alternate weeks, but a friend of mine has been for an interview for a 4 on 4 off job, and they told him that pretty soon all driving jobs would have to go onto this pattern.
now it dosent bother me except that most of our customers (vac tanker work) only work a 5 or six day week so for those working over the weekend work will be slack or none existent.
so my question is could it ever be brought about where you have to do 4on 4off or would it result in still doing 5 or 6 days but with reduced hours?

Employers don’t have to anything with regard to 4 on 4 off it’s just that if you have an operation that can work 7 days per week then it suits them to have this shift pattern to be easily compliant with the working time directive. If the operation doesn’t suit 4 on 4 off, i.e. no work on Sunday, then they won’t be making you do this shift pattern.

4 on 4 off is great I used to do it but you will do less hours because if its based on 12 hr days then that’s an average of about 42 per week which is great if you can afford it as some weeks you will only work 3 days, but I can’t think it would suit a company who are not 24/7.

I would grab it with both hands if we were offered it at ASDA you could have the scope to do overtime on your days off if you wanted or have the occasional long weekend a win win as far as I see

The bit i liked most was take 4 days holls, and you have 12 off :sunglasses:

I do four on four off mate and have never been happier with a shift pattern. It does fall into weekends but that isnt the end of the world. You can book four days of leave off and have nearly two weeks at your disposal. :smiley:

I find am actually ready to get back to work when my four is up. You see when most are off for the normal two on a weekend everywhere is busy and you soon find it goes and you can get those “Monday Blues”. I find with this shift pattern that doesnt happen to me. Suppose it also depends on your personal circumstances, children, wife, partner etc. Suits me though.

P.S There is usually plenty of over time avaliable covering other shifts if you want to work the extra days. I did five days last week and I’m doing six nights this week. Aint a problem as I have four off to look forward too. :laughing:

i do 4 on 4 off and love it wouldent want to swap it for any other shift

I’m also on 4 on 4 off . 33 days leave this year :open_mouth: .
don’t know what to do with it all :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
just got to book it right and 120 days off and i only work half the year anyway :sunglasses:
just got to book my working shifts now :question: :question:

Best shift system going,
why do you think the Fire Brigade went on strike a few years ago to keep the 4on/4off :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Four on Four off is brilliant, but only if you operate seven days a week. We get paid for 42 hours a week based on an 8 week period which settles the 36/48 hours dilemma, another of our depots (different customer though) do the same but get paid 48 every week and owe 13 days a year to the company.

wood73:
a friend of mine has been for an interview for a 4 on 4 off job, and they told him that pretty soon all driving jobs would have to go onto this pattern.

Thats ■■■■■■■■.
What about the operations that only run 5 days a week?
We are a Mon-Fri operation, every now n then we get a Sat morning (1 every 6 week or so) to wash a wagon or take a car for a valet or if the following week is scheduled to be busy (new brew going out etc).

mattcollin:
I do four on four off mate and have never been happier with a shift pattern. It does fall into weekends but that isnt the end of the world. You can book four days of leave off and have nearly two weeks at your disposal. :smiley:

I find am actually ready to get back to work when my four is up. You see when most are off for the normal two on a weekend everywhere is busy and you soon find it goes and you can get those “Monday Blues”. I find with this shift pattern that doesnt happen to me. Suppose it also depends on your personal circumstances, children, wife, partner etc. Suits me though.

P.S There is usually plenty of over time avaliable covering other shifts if you want to work the extra days. I did five days last week and I’m doing six nights this week. Aint a problem as I have four off to look forward too. :laughing:

so your not doing 4 on & 4 off :smiley:

It doesn’t suit every operation, but where it does it’s great, especially the 12 days off for using only 4 days of your holiday entitlement. The only downside is having to work every Bank Holiday, but even this has its plus points. No sitting in traffic jams going to some awful theme park or other.
Yes, 4 on 4 off is great if you’re a miserable old sod like me. :laughing:

I was doing 4on/3off and was happy with it.
Have been the 3 Day hiking the Hadrian Wall many Times,Lake District,Forest of Dean.
Its ok with 48 Hour regulation.
We had 12 Hour Shift and got every Minute paid.
I needed Van to move and got them for free.
We also had a Bonus you got paid if you worked every Day of your Shift by not coming Late to it.
Why i left was as no Health and Accident/Pay-Protection Sheeme was in Place.
As we had to load and un-load a lot ourself was out of work after self-injurence highly possible,which would have resulted in staying at Home without Pay.
Other du 6on/2/off which is OK too,but you will run over the 60 Hours and stay at Home a few Weeks every Year

wood73:
so my question is could it ever be brought about where you have to do 4on 4off or would it result in still doing 5 or 6 days but with reduced hours?

I would say no it could not be brought in that you have to do 4on 4off but with some of the nonsense that’s come out of the EU in the past who knows … anything’s possible where the EU is concerned :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused:

But I think the person who told your mate this was talking rubbish :wink: