4 on 4 off!

was thinking of giving 4 on 4 off a try day work tramping,anyone give any good or bad advice on how they find em,cheers :slight_smile:

I find 3 on 4 off better and more then enough for me.

I’ve just changed from tramping 4/5 nights out every week to 4 on 4 off day shift.
Much better for me have got back to what could be considered a normal life.
If you value your weekends then it’s not for you as you’ll work all or part of them most of the time.
You’ll have to deal with sharing a motor. Not bad if the other guy likes to keep it clean but could be an issue if you get a mucky bugger.

You only work for half a year every year (that’s assuming you don’t take any holidays or do any extra shifts)

Talking of holidays if you take four of your holiday days covering one complete shift block you’ll actually have 12 days off!

2 weeks will involve no weekends worked, 2 will involve one of either weekend days worked and 3 will involve both weekend days worked and then the cycle repeats again, (assuming starting on a Monday it would be 2 No W/E, 1 half W/E, 3 Full W/E, 1 half W/E) I recommend getting the ‘shift planner’ app (it’s available for android but not sure about iPhone you’d need to check) as with that you can see at a glance your shift pattern, you can even search a date and it will tell you instantly if you’re going to be working on that date or not (handy for planning holiday days for important events).

Wages will obviously be less than a 5 on 2 off standard shift pattern and with some companies can result in short weeks if their wage structure is rigid but the following week would then compensate if that makes sense.

As I’m salaried my firm offer a higher rate for any extra full day and also an overtime hours rate if any of my standard shifts exceed 12 hrs, So I could actually work a 6 on 2 off with 2 shifts being at the overtime shift rate which would increase even further if those extra two shifts were 15 hrs each (6 hours at the higher hourly rate).

I will agree with the previous poster that sharing with a dirty pig or a smoker (if you are a non smoker) can be quite severe negatives, when I was at NR Evans my oppo had severe swamp â– â– â–  and the drivers seat used to reek once it warmed up, I solved this with a bin liner and a towel as a physical impermeable barrier between myself and the seat, also stock up on and never forget your anti-bac wipes for everything that the oppo might have touched! (You will be disgustingly amazed at the colour of the wipes when you clean the steering wheel, trust me!)

All of the above, I’m loving it.
I thought I would miss my weekends but I’ve found I don’t mind driving weekends as it’s easier (in the winter at least).
and four days, three nights out, with five nights at home. Suits me sir :sunglasses:

I used to love my 4 on 4 off but I’d be careful about going back to it purely because how I was paid back then may not be how I may get paid now.

Reef touched on it and he sounds like he had something I had - salary which is made up of all hours including weekend rates etc added up and divided by 52 giving you a weekly wage which is the same regardless of if you’re in you’re three day 'pay week" or four day ‘pay week’ with overtime on top.

What puts me off is working somewhere where you get paid three days. Too much fluctuation in take home pay for me as I like to have roughly the same coming in each week.

I’m paid monthly, if my end of week is near the dead line date we can what’s app a picture of our time sheet in and get that shift in the month.
no worries on three and four day weeks, plus hourly pay.

Some companies pay near enough the same for 4 on 4 off as they do for 5 days weeks.

Should do too, you might be working less days, but you will work at least one weekend day for 5 weeks out of an 8 week (from memory) period, you will work lots of bank hols too, so what you gain in less hours and days you lose (or gain if its suits you to do so) by working more premium hours.

You can make some good money on it by working a couple of extra shifts a month, turning it into a 4/4 5/3 alternate weeks pattern, always assuming the rate is worth it.

Thanks for replies gents :smiley: