4 on 2 off

Would you do it over a normal 5 day/night week?

Pros are
14 more days off a year.
Better money.

Cons are
Lots of weekends.
BH are to be worked if on your rota.

Need to make my mind up :confused:

The only way to work this out is to divide the pay by the hours worked and arrive at a mean average hourly rate.

When you know that figure you’ll know the answer.

It wants to be very well paid to be honest, 4 on 4 off, which is far better, is worth around ÂŁ32k for 4 x 10 hour average shifts at most decent places, plus if you want overtime you can do at least one every week and still have three days off each and every time.

I think I would prefer this sort of shift to the regular five on. Four on and four off is also pretty good.

I used to do 5 on 3 off, it was crap as most weeks I only got 4 days pay because of the 5 days rolling over into the next week then having 3 off before starting my 5 again, 4 days pay per week isn’t enough for me

I don’t understand why 24/7 operations aren’t run 3 on 3 off. You could then do 15s every shift instead of three 15s and a 13 on 4 on 4 off. You do the same amount of weekends but less weekends in a row.

If I was on agency it’d be what I’d be doing.

Terry T:
I don’t understand why 24/7 operations aren’t run 3 on 3 off. You could then do 15s every shift

Over 42 days/6 weeks doing a 15 each shift that would average 52.5 hours per week if my maths is ok

Depends on the job I suppose, we get loads of breaks in so wouldn’t go anywhere near 48 doing that. Others would obviously.

3 on 3 off doing 15 every shift and then deducting minimum driving breaks would probably average less than 48 hours working time each week

52.5 hours is duty time though Rog. With just one 45 a day you’re down to 50 hours.

My ideal shift is 4 on 3 off on more money…it’s free to dream right:lol:

4 on 2 off?..Stuff that…4 on 4 off was my last shift pattern but no tacho’s involved.Plenty money though working for the corrupt government.

I work it but I’m paid for 5 out of 7. Suits me, no split rests and only got to work 4.

Where I used to work offered us 4 on 2 off, but a) it’s a ■■■■ shift IMHO, and b) the money wasn’t good enough. When we were on 5 on 2 off we were on much more money than they were offering, I know you’re probably thinking “yeah, but you’re working 25% longer” but it meant every weekend off instead of working the majority of weekends.

4 on 4 off is infinitely better. 4 days holiday gives 12 days off work plus it allows you to get an odd day or two in as overtime or with an agency.