4 long years later

4 years ago I posted that we were going to restore a series IIa land rover - we thought it would take 6 months- 4 years on , and after a lot of blood sweat and tears Bertha (as she is called) today took her first road trip-to the MOT station

and she passed … almost everything one her has been rebuilt from the chassis upwards, but only with age related parts-for this girl she has the same 2.2 1967 diesel she originally had, from the chassis to the wiring loom everything has been replaced with brand new like for like every single componenet has been refurbished or replaced with a like for like - there is still some fettling to do as she isn’t perfect yet but here is what she looks like today

Good result for your hard work. What is your next project ?

I think that’s still got the ( much ) better non synchro on first and second type box in it than the all synchro type in the later ones.But the old 6 cylinder petrol engined ones with that old type box were the best of the earlier types to drive until the V8 petrol was introduced.

yes its non synchro on 1 and 2- it did have a 2.25 petrol when we bought it - but she came out of the factory with the 2 litre diesel- so we have sourced a 1967 diesel and rebuilt it and put it in- the only things non factory spec is the fairly overdrive and the Anderson heater although both are age related- just not out of factory spec

A donkey is cheaper, more reliable, more friendly and gets you there and back faster. It is more comfortable, keeps your gonads warm, and has the Bible connection that pulls virgins. You can get a ride from Blackpool to Brighton and for your few pence, get photographed with a pretend cowboy hat on. And - And it is a big AND - you Don’t hold traffic up or get to your destination feeling other than you have got there by donkey.
I promise you RIKKI I know. Landrover started a curse. Leave it to rest. I have a Massey ferguson 135 - It is the same thing without pretensions and cuts 12 acres of grass. Buy a Massey instead . Jim

Lovely. I had a 1970 2a for a bit and did quite a lot of work on it. I replaced the 2.25 petrol with the (original) 2.25 diesel, fitted an overdrive and a new wiring loom and various other (expensive!) jobs. Then I had to sell it at a huge loss. But it was fun to own. Yours looks great, enjoy!

Rikki-UK:
yes its non synchro on 1 and 2- it did have a 2.25 petrol when we bought it - but she came out of the factory with the 2 litre diesel- so we have sourced a 1967 diesel and rebuilt it and put it in- the only things non factory spec is the fairly overdrive and the Anderson heater although both are age related- just not out of factory spec

I’ve found one of the now rare 2.6 6 cylinder petrol ones on youtube.Just as I remember them it sounds great with just a bit of transmission noise when it’s running on the flat.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6DGHSlGXc