4 dead M5 after lorry crashed through central red

Carryfast:

Dr Damon:
For once I quite agree with most of your post.Please though can you point out where I said I could control a blow out■■?
All I said was that tyre technology has vastly improved and that out of control blow outs are less likely these days then you went off on one as you frequently seem to do.

To be fair you clearly stated that a steer axle blow out is ‘‘very unlikely to send you through the central reservation’’.To which I replied with numerous examples of video evidence which prove the opposite,in being at least as likely,if not more,as not.In addition to describing/explaining the physics that causes the problem.That video evidence and description of the physics involved being as relevant today as 1950.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149755&start=30#p2371338

To be really fair and honest fella please show me where I said a blowout is unlikely to send you through the central reservation?
I did not say that at all.
Clear your mind of all the garbage and learn to read and understand what you see.

Olog Hai:

Dr Damon:
Because I know more about trucks and transport than you and a few others on here.

Shall we have a little competition?

Don’t bother with the “little competition,” fella. It’s not needed because you’ve embarrassed yourself enough already. I would wager that you don’t actually know as much as you think you do, because when you were challenged on your great experience and huge amount of knowledge about automated trucks, you never came back with anything to prove it.

Forgive me if I doubt you, but I believe that you are a bumbling fool who knows only what it printed in Commical Motor and Trucking magazines.

Believe what you want fella but you are totally wrong.

As I said I came on here willing to be helpful about the future of trucks but was met with a lot of abuse and negativity.
That’s the reason I have said no more on the subject.

muckles:
I’ve worked for several race teams over the years and the 5 year mark seems to be right for sidewalks looking a bit shabby, I normally get them changed at that point

Yes I would agree with that, the one that blew on me was over 5 and it is “ahem” quite easy to overload the front axle on that vehicle, although it was not loaded that day, and of course it would never be me that overloaded it :unamused:

(edited because for some reason I put over 6, when it should have said 5, sometimes not so good with numbers :unamused: )

Drove southbound past the scene earlier.
Police markings indicate lorry was in lane 1 then very violently swerved across 2 and 3, through the barrier.
I was shocked at how sharp the turn was, must have been 70 degrees or so, it wasn’t a shallow turn but a very sharp veer off.

Considering the road is going uphill at that point, Its very shocking how the truck ended up on the other side of the road in the ditch after not only hitting the barrier, but hitting several vehicles almong the way. Must have been a hell of a lot of momentum behind it.

109LWB:
Drove southbound past the scene earlier.
Police markings indicate lorry was in lane 1 then very violently swerved across 2 and 3, through the barrier.
I was shocked at how sharp the turn was, must have been 70 degrees or so, it wasn’t a shallow turn but a very sharp veer off.

Considering the road is going uphill at that point, Its very shocking how the truck ended up on the other side of the road in the ditch after not only hitting the barrier, but hitting several vehicles almong the way. Must have been a hell of a lot of momentum behind it.

I couldn’t believe how tight the turn was either.

51.6080792,-2.469057

goo.gl/maps/eoYwA6qXMvH2

Manski’s view is correct. In all my many years of driving only once have I experienced a Front wheel b/o. A mighty bang under your seat, the steering hardens, the cab judders, for 3-4 seconds your brain goes into total confusion figuring out what has happened.

With an empty container on an empty Aus freeway, fortunately, nothing was in the outer lane which I half entered or dire result.
Both sweaty hands on the wheel, don’t touch the brake, glide as best you can to a stop. It is a scary event and every one is different.

Dr Damon:

Carryfast:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149755&start=30#p2371338

To be really fair and honest fella please show me where I said a blowout is unlikely to send you through the central reservation?
I did not say that at all.
Clear your mind of all the garbage and learn to read and understand what you see.

You actually said ‘‘very unlikely’’ in your reply to Conor and the post is there in that link.

To which my reply was numerous ‘real world’ videos proving the opposite.Not surprising being that the resulting massive instantaneous change in rolling resistance,caused by the rim clamping what’s left of the deflated tyre to the road,has effectively applied an asymetric braking force to one side of the steer axle.In which case,as I said,it’s now being steered very much like a tracked vehicle or a tractor off road.Which will ‘very likely’ over come any conventional directional steering correction attempt made with the remaining inflated tyre on the other side.Assuming the driver even has any time to react with any such correction at all. :unamused:

Norfolkinclue1:

AndrewG:

Dr Damon:
I will answer your first question.

Because I know more about trucks and transport than you and a few others on here.

Youre NOT a truck driver and have absolutely no idea re trucks OR transport. Would imagine the very little knowledge you may have comes from google… :stuck_out_tongue:

This. A milllion times over.

His/the account holders posts after AndrewG’s post say so much as usual, toys out the pram, like his reaction to Eagers popcorn post response to his first post when he first crawled out even after claiming to have been reading the forum for a while.
Sorry petal, but if you had actually been reading this forum for a while you should expect Mr Beaver to post a picture rather than losing your [zb] straight away and then flouncing off when no one wanted to tickle your balls and ask you how come you’re so brilliant.
Completely agree. Never been a driver, no way.
Insults any and all when they challenge,tries to appear intellectually superior but comes off as ignorant and petulant.
Plenty of posters on here agree and disagree on many things but get on.
I utterly disagree with Robs view on unions in the modern era however I have great respect for his views and opinions as it’s clear it comes from honesty and experience, he and others give as much as they take. I’m sure he thinks I’m a ■■■■ most of the time when it comes to unions.
I struggle with carryfast, however he’s never really that rude so fair play. Same with AndrewG, who I utterly agree with this time, his view point in things at times is different to mine but he is clearly experienced so just read his views and respect them.
Same goes for many others, once you’ve visited here for a while, or posted for a while you get to grips with how people are, except for Dipper, you never want to get to grips with Dipper unless you have a tanker full of lube…
This Dr Damon muppet stands out as a pathetic troll for the usual reasons, all claims with no evidence, insults the industry and all who work in it and all the time trying to appear intellectual. Never posted anything other than pathetic little incendiary leading comments designed to provoke.
Taking on fatherhood in his fifties must be making him tired and emotional, to be fair I’m guessing at that, but he’s been driving trucks since the mid sixties and has a 19 year old hgv driving daughter.
My guess is the same as AndrewG, google is his friend and only friend, well, apart from the alter ego acccounts that will be along to support him at the last minute…
Always makes me laugh when posters come on to this forum shouting how great they are at everything without realising that due to the very nature of this being a truckers forum someone somewhere will have actually done whatever it is you are bullshittin. about…

Wrong on many accounts fella. You really seem to have a problem thinking I have never driven trucks.Why do you not want to believe me because I can assure you it is very true and I reckon I first drove a truck when you were in nappies and I also know I was reading this forum long before you appeared.

Dr Damon:

Norfolkinclue1:

AndrewG:

Dr Damon:
I will answer your first question.

Youre NOT a truck driver and have absolutely no idea re trucks OR transport. Would imagine the very little knowledge you may have comes from google… :stuck_out_tongue:

This. A milllion times over.

His/the account holders posts after AndrewG’s post say so much as usual, toys out the pram, like his reaction to Eagers popcorn post response to his first post when he first crawled out even after claiming to have been reading the forum for a while.
Sorry petal, but if you had actually been reading this forum for a while you should expect Mr Beaver to post a picture rather than losing your [zb] straight away and then flouncing off when no one wanted to tickle your balls and ask you how come you’re so brilliant.
Completely agree. Never been a driver, no way.
Insults any and all when they challenge,tries to appear intellectually superior but comes off as ignorant and petulant.
Plenty of posters on here agree and disagree on many things but get on.
I utterly disagree with Robs view on unions in the modern era however I have great respect for his views and opinions as it’s clear it comes from honesty and experience, he and others give as much as they take. I’m sure he thinks I’m a ■■■■ most of the time when it comes to unions.
I struggle with carryfast, however he’s never really that rude so fair play. Same with AndrewG, who I utterly agree with this time, his view point in things at times is different to mine but he is clearly experienced so just read his views and respect them.
Same goes for many others, once you’ve visited here for a while, or posted for a while you get to grips with how people are, except for Dipper, you never want to get to grips with Dipper unless you have a tanker full of lube…
This Dr Damon muppet stands out as a pathetic troll for the usual reasons, all claims with no evidence, insults the industry and all who work in it and all the time trying to appear intellectual. Never posted anything other than pathetic little incendiary leading comments designed to provoke.
Taking on fatherhood in his fifties must be making him tired and emotional, to be fair I’m guessing at that, but he’s been driving trucks since the mid sixties and has a 19 year old hgv driving daughter.
My guess is the same as AndrewG, google is his friend and only friend, well, apart from the alter ego acccounts that will be along to support him at the last minute…
Always makes me laugh when posters come on to this forum shouting how great they are at everything without realising that due to the very nature of this being a truckers forum someone somewhere will have actually done whatever it is you are bullshittin. about…

Wrong on many accounts fella. You really seem to have a problem thinking I have never driven trucks.Why do you not want to believe me because I can assure you it is very true and I reckon I first drove a truck when you were in nappies and I also know I was reading this forum long before you appeared.

Come on then Dr Damon,Please share this knowledge/advice that you have instead of keep repeating that you have been driving years and been reading this forum longer than the poster above

muckles:

good_friend:

Socketset:
I think the truck was a racecar transporter - I’ve seen some pics which clearly show tools of some sort and a mechanics roll-cab in a side door.

Thank you

I did say before that it didn’t look like a horsebox to me but some people just like writing about stuff they know nothing about…

I may know SFA about driving but I know far too much about blinking horseboxes :smiley:

The first angle I saw I thought it might be a horsebox, seen plenty of home built ones using old box vans as a starting point, I did one myself 20+ years on a Merc 814 chassis with box body, it was the tail lift the made think it wasn’t a horsebox, but plenty of horseboxes and racecar transporters can look similar from certain angles, after all they all carry horses, got about 1400 on mine today. :laughing:

I agree about the tail lift. No self-respecting horse would walk up a tail lift that short to that height and then you would have to get the thing out of there the other side. Not a chance in hell I am thinking

Also there’s no windows so the heat if you had horses on board would be horrendous.

I had a front axle blow-out on the A15 s/b before Caenby Corner. I had an eleven car load of BMW cars (four on the unit) and had there been oncoming traffic I would have hit something.

I used to have a saying when I worked in palliative care, you are not training to pass a test you are training for the day she you are the only thing between a patient and the grave , training and attention to detail can prevent most accidents apart from freak cataclysmic events

Judehamish:
I had a front axle blow-out on the A15 s/b before Caenby Corner. I had an eleven car load of BMW cars (four on the unit) and had there been oncoming traffic I would have hit something.

Looks very much like the trailer tyre i had to change last week near Madrid, the carcase was still wrapped around the wheel but the whole tread structure had come away…

Judehamish:

Nasty, well done for keeping it upright :sunglasses:

I’ve never had a front wheel blow out and i’ll be happy if i can see me time out like that ta very much, had a rapid deflation roughly 20 seconds and luckily empty so it was quite interesting to feel the rapid increase in pull to the left without it being a sudden.

I’ve had front tyres blow out twice but luckily I was driving eight leggers and no damage was done apart from the front wing disintegrating. Far too many rear blowouts to list though, two on one journey! :unamused:

Pete.

How many of us have sufficient eyesight to steer the slight amount needed to avoid driving over nuts, bolts, and other bits of debris metal on the carriageway I wonder?

Winseer:
How many of us have sufficient eyesight to steer the slight amount needed to avoid driving over nuts, bolts, and other bits of debris metal on the carriageway I wonder?

how many loadingstraps and rathcets do you see lying in the carriageway they have to potential to cause sudden catastrophic damage to tyres

Winseer:

Not me, that’s for sure. I’m only partially sighted.

have there been any official announcements as to the cause or anything, there hasn’t been the usual “driver has been arrested” head lines, which to be fair I wouldn’t expect as its been widely reported as being a blown tyre,so the for the poor soul driving, not a great thing to have to live with if it was just bad luck, but I did go down to avonmouth myself on Monday and saw the aftermath, and like a few others have said, was very surprised by the sudden sharp turn from lane one to through the Armco!