4 day week

Are there many haulage firms going on this 4 day week …?how will it be done ? 18 hour spread over maybe ?

fuse:
Are there many haulage firms going on this 4 day week …?how will it be done ? 18 hour spread over maybe ?

Lots do rolling 4 on-4 off already or do you mean 4 on-3 off as in the seven day week?

18 hour spreadover?

I was being sarcastic about 18 hours…It is haulage and one never knows what the nut jobs will come up with.What I have read is people will work 4 days but get paid for five,well that is just not fare for haulage because they are not going to get 5 days pay for 4 worked

It won’t apply to drivers, only really to people doing comfortable office jobs. Usually contracted to 37.5 hours a week, so five 8 hour days minus breaks will instead become four 10 hour days.
Personally I’d always prefer the longer shifts with fewer days in work, doesn’t really bother me how long I’m in work for once I’m there, the hard part is dragging my ■■■ there in the first place

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

4 on 4 off . 33k + nights out ot when I want it especially weekends ie 6 on 2 off bothe ot shifts weekend rates.
My current average is about 28hrs

fuse:

Unless your thinking about 4 on 4 off or 4-3 rota system a 4 day week is not likely to happen especially on general work,contract work maybe.
If your on say a 40 hr basic contract plus o/t then you should get paid for 40 the only thing you should miss out on is some o/t

If anything, there will be moves to get everyone working 6 days per week, and being paid for 4.! :open_mouth: :imp:

I prefer less shifts per week, as it saves on my commute, as I rarely get to work in the town I live in.

Dozy will probably confirm that this aspect of “no flexihours on full time contracts” however - should well-and-truly restore the differential between agency and full timer’s hourly rates. :bulb:

Where I work we have 4on4off and 4on3off. We all earn the same, plenty of overtime if you want it. Most of us average around 36hours/week but paid for 48. Best work life balance I’ve ever had.

I had a factory job back in the 70s, four ten hour shifts per week. I liked it then the manufacturing moved to the cheaper countries and I had to go back to six day working for less money.

I’ve started doing 4 on/4 off recently after a change in circumstances meant i’m not fussed about the weekends. It’s brilliant, best work/life balance I have ever had, loads of time to do everything I want to do out of work. I’d be loathed to go back to Mon-Fri driving now tbh, you can’t but a value on time.

Can’t see a standard 4 day working week coming into haulage though. Drivers already work daft hours to get the work done, I don’t think taking loads of trucks off the road for another day a week is viable. Haulage rates would have to go up for a kick off because trucks are less productive.

Surely this industry has had us working 55-60 hour weeks for 36-40 hours office wallers pay for some time now?
Or, five days work for 80% of what everyone else gets paid that isn’t a professional driver in this industry… :unamused:

I’ve often wondered why there is such opposition to all driving full time contracts being 4x12 hour shifts with fixed attendence patterns, rather than this “any five from seven” tosh that is worse than low pay imo.

Winseer:
Surely this industry has had us working 55-60 hour weeks for 36-40 hours office wallers pay for some time now?
Or, five days work for 80% of what everyone else gets paid that isn’t a professional driver in this industry… :unamused:

I’ve often wondered why there is such opposition to all driving full time contracts being 4x12 hour shifts with fixed attendence patterns, rather than this “any five from seven” tosh that is worse than low pay imo.

That’s exactly what I’m on, got to do a 40 minute commute to get it but the extra day off more than makes up for it.

Also most places I’ve worked the office wallers have earned significantly less than the drivers and usually do as many hours?