3rd parties enforcing speed limits

I was on the M62 last night travelling eastbound near Huddersfield. There is a small stretch of roadworks where they are doing drainage repairs. There is a 50mph speed limit sign up, and its all downhill. I had a full load on and my speed had crept up to 60mph before I noticed so i started dropping speed. As I was passing the roadworks i noticed two white transit vans with orange flashing lights on parked up by the central reservation in the roadworks. Im sure the back van had a speed camera ‘sign’ on the back of it, but it was a civilian van, not a police van or highways. Has anyone heard of a 3rd party company doing speed camera checks during roadworks? And if so, are they enforceable?

As far as I know…

They are all third party vans. The police don’t actually operate camera vans, they employ third parties to the work for them. The people in the vans aren’t police officers despite them doing their best to look the part.

youtube.com/watch?v=84cCq-bzVHs

You’ll know inside of two weeks if you’ve got a NIP or not.

I’ve seen these a couple of times. Your safe enough there there to enforce the 10mph site limit on the building sites. Health and saftety reasons and to stop the tipper drivers speeding though the roadworkers area

There was one of them at Darrington on the A1 S/B last summer

I’ve seen them before.

I would guess it’s enforceable on the basis of what would be the point in putting the money into the van and camera and a person to operate it if it wasn’t and only there as a deterrent. That’s my guess so could be wrong. I wouldn’t want to put it to the test.

They are there mainly for the safety of the road workers, as in recording all the time incase someone ploughs through the barrier and kills a worker, the footage would then be used as evidence, and as its a van with a fixed mounted camera my guess is they just put the sticker on the back as a further deterant for people speeding. There isnt anyone inside it operating the camera, is just records all the time, it also doubles up as the welfare unit too. Its more or less like a dash cam, just covers there backs if there was an accident where they happened to be working, they got footage.

Just keep it flat.
They position them selves to scare the be-jesus out of people, they have NO powers to enforce speed limits,or issue tickets, …

each time i pass a camera van with the hatch open i wonder [ if i was sat in the passenger seat] would it be possible to lob a housebrick thru the hatch ?

One of these pulled off the hard shoulder at the end of the M1 roadworks J13-J15 last week as I was approaching. When I passed it I noticed that the two ‘camera hatches’ in the back doors were just square pieces of black vinyl with camera signs stuck underneath. I suppose from a distance it looks and acts like a real camera van!

I despair sometimes. How did we, as a society, get into this state?

Just imagine how many people were involved in the commissioning and operation of these vehicles… Seemingly, not one had the courage to say no, this is a completely stupid thing to be doing - let’s all just grow up and bin this cringeworthy idea.

How long before?
“Entrapment!”
“I was going through the roadworks when I was flashed. We all know the vans are only dummies to scare us, but one actually flashed me. How much fine? How many points? What’s totting up?”
“Can I sue them for fooling me into speeding?”
“Everyone is wrong except me”

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk