3663 Scotland.

Was up in Scotland on holiday when I saw a 3663 wag and drag. I’ve never ever seen one before, just the artic and rigid ones. Do they use them up there as more manoeuvrable around twisty roads ?

We do all of their place nationwide and I regularly see the drags parked in their yards. I imagine they just use them for certain drops and not on a regular basis.

They use the prime mover on the multi drop and usually use the drag at nights when trunking if they don’t have an artic…we’ve got one at ours, it’s parked all day and runs to Paddock Wood at night on the trunk. Most are well passed their sell by date now as they were mainly used on the MOD contract. They’d empty the drag and park it up and collect it later. Some depots that use the PM on multi drop have had new tugs/trailers to replace the relics and they get used in Scotland on the driver training for those taking their class 1…they learn in those (auto box, pretty much empty) and then get let loose (as the 2 did at my depot a few years ago) in a Scania 3 over 3 6x2 artic with 24 pallets of water on and then wonder why the clutch lasts a week or 2 as they were never shown/told to use low range when pulling away. One has nearly got the hang of it, uses low range but still pulls away in 3rd high!

Why dont they have the wits to pay a bit more and get a Pro. driver.?

Theres more pros on here than in amsterdam

Our newest ‘drivers’ were taken off the warehouse after showing an interest in how easy our job is compared to their manual labour…they got sent to Scotland for a month, came back with the class 1 ticket…the Polish lad on the drag is of a reasonable standard as he’s driving what he was taught in…the other goon though drives the truck (Scania P cab) like he drives his car…it’s not ‘if’ he has an accident (ignoring all the damage he’s done to the unit/trailers etc over the past 2 years) but ‘when’. If I had a say in his employment, I’d have ■■■■■■ him off long ago, when he was followed to another depot by a car driver after carving him (and others) up on the M3/A34 split after deciding to rejoin the M3 when he was heading up the exit slip to A34 and swerved across the chevrons at the last minute because there was a bit of a queue at the top…I won’t tell you how many sets of lines have needed replacing because of his haste to get the job done and I won’t mention both occasions he’s dropped a loaded trailer on its rollocks…EEEK…I just did! :laughing:

The wagon and drag are used mainly for overnight runs. Artics are unsuitable for a large portion of the customers that 3663 deliver to. The drag gives the driver extra capacity which he can then refill from once empty.