34 and Seriously considering a change into LGV Haulage

Dear Forum,

I’ve spent a fair bit of time reading on here reading some of the stories.

I live in Mid/West Suffolk - about 30 miles from Felixstowe. I have always enjoyed driving and have driven most of the country as a design engineer.

I’ve been in touch with some of the bigger ‘training providers’ however i’m more convinced that they are probably a waste of time middle-men. I will find a trainer with there own vehicles. Promises of guaranteed work ect ect.

However what should I expect? Being made redundant at the end of this week and after the holidays I am going to start the process and hope to be qualified for C+E within 12 weeks.

What is the reality of finding a 1/2 decent job out of Felixstowe? Also does anyone know any Essex/Suffolk/Cambs based training school.

I think the thread that really put me off was the Guy in the navy who asked if he should leave and go driving… That was a tad negative lol!

Thanks,

Sethie.

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Sethie_D :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

I think the thread that really put me off was the Guy in the navy who asked if he should leave and go driving… That was a tad negative lol!

In his case I would say that his particular options were better to stay where he was but that would not apply across the board.
Consider your own options and your passions. If you want to do LGV driving, then go for it - it is not ‘just a job’ - it is a way of life.

Find a test centre in the most isolated place in the Uk ( Maybe Shetland islands )

Take a test there no roundabouts no traffic lights and hardly any traffic.

I can see a few laughing at this post but it is a fact i am sure anyone would rather a test in a quiet area rather than a major city ? As the test is the same standard where ever you take it in the UK.

MAYBE THE SHETLAND ISLES IS EXTREME BUT THERE ARE MANY TEST CENTRES IN RURAL AREAS ?

Humour is always good

Thanks Rog :smiley:

More reading!

I hope some folks look at my worries on actually finding a driving job lol.

Apparently there are 85,459,456,565,743 outstanding LGV Jobs* :stuck_out_tongue:

Sethie

• so ok I might have exaggerated

Also does anyone know any Essex/Suffolk/Cambs based training school.

TRY THIS

Welcome Sethie D.

Apparently there are 85,459,456,565,743 outstanding LGV Jobs* :stuck_out_tongue:

I have heard this and it does make one wonder. Well it makes me wonder who worked it out and on what principle.
As for a good training providor it epends where exactly you are in Suffolk.

I have PM’d you

Mothertrucker:
Welcome Sethie D.

I have heard this and it does make one wonder. Well it makes me wonder who worked it out and on what principle.
As for a good training providor it epends where exactly you are in Suffolk.

I have PM’d you

Thanks MotherT :smiley:

No PM though - however my username is “Sethie_D” with an underscore. Not sure if that is visible on the posts.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Sethie_D

No PM though - however my username is “Sethie_D” with an underscore. Not sure if that is visible on the posts.

Don’t have to write in the username to send a PM - just click the username and then the PM box - the username is automatically put as the recipient.

Click on your ’ you have no new messages’ at the top of the page again - it might be there

Got it and Replied!

Thanks Mother and Rog :smiley:

Sethie

As a follow up to Rog’s link to my DTT Essex post …

I recently went for training with DTT Essex, I found them to be good organisation. I got on fine with my instructor and talked with the other 2 instructors who both seemed OK too.

The franchisee also runs the DTT at Standon nr Bury St.Eds, they’ve got newer kit but I got the impression there may have been some bad feeling between the two. I can certainly recommend the Colchester lot.

I tested in Ipswich and spent all of my training time in that area, although the test is the same from centre to centre there are some quite big differences in pass rates. Ipswich is about 20% higher than Chelmsford for example. Best one I found was Rookley on the IOW with a HGV pass rate of about 80%although that’s probably more down to the number of tests than anything.

I did a diary of my training which can be found here on my blog.

8wheels:
I did a diary of my training which can be found here on my blog.

link fixed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

iv just completed a week worth of training with ACE hgv training in sawbridgeworth and enjoyed it a great deal the company were honest and upfront with me and the instructors were great i can speak from experince as i did a course last year with another training provider and it was awful!

I didnt pass this time but it wasnt down to them had a car pull out in front of me and i couldnt go anywhere so i failed on hindering other road users grrr going to try again in 2 weeks time.

Remember driving is a way of life not just a job .

hope this helps.
Adam