315 tyres

Does anybody run 315 22.5 on normal rims ? Iv gone up from 295 80 standard rim to 385 65 super singles on the front axle, I like the look of both and with the super singles the slight shake i had has gone, Due to 2mm play in king pin. But i think the standard rims suit the truck better,daf xf 6x2 If i change to 315s on the front do i need the same on the lift axle and drive axle ■■?
Thanks
Paul

pjldaf:
Does anybody run 315 22.5 on normal rims ? Iv gone up from 295 80 standard rim to 385 65 super singles on the front axle, I like the look of both and with the super singles the slight shake i had has gone, Due to 2mm play in king pin. But i think the standard rims suit the truck better,daf xf 6x2 If i change to 315s on the front do i need the same on the lift axle and drive axle ■■?
Thanks
Paul

no, you ok to run on the 315 on the front axle without changing the drive or lift axle tyres

Thanks markwill, top man :slight_smile:

I had 315’s on my Eurostar on both steer axles, iirc they were standard rims.

The volvo had 295’s to start with, on the d/a but i upped them to 315’s when i needed a new set and was advised to use the proper rims on the drives.

Goaty:
I had 315’s on my Eurostar on both steer axles, iirc they were standard rims.

The volvo had 295’s to start with, on the d/a but i upped them to 315’s when i needed a new set and was advised to use the proper rims on the drives.

How did you find the 315’s ? I just think the super singles are a bit bulky, if i decide not to use the tyres on a trailer i might put them on the Daf SSC think they would look better on that than the Space cab. Or sell them rims are new tyres have 14mm on them.

In truth the Iveco came with 315’s on, front 2 axles and 295’s on the drives, so i can’t really compare them. Always looked like the cab springs were ■■■■■■!!

Ain’t 315’s a fair whack more expensive than 295’s or am I mistaken?

whats a normal rim?, 315 rims are wider tham 295s for a start, not that 315s wont go on 295 wheels but it will be a bodge job and they wont look/wear right.
also the tyres will be more expensive

i have 2 315//80 bridgestone steers for sale, less than 1000km on them, on wheels, of a 61 plate scania ( i run 385/65 on front), i want £600 cash all in, pm me if any use…

Lrm

Bargain.

LRM:
i have 2 315//80 bridgestone steers for sale, less than 1000km on them, on wheels, of a 61 plate scania ( i run 385/65 on front), i want £600 cash all in, pm me if any use…

Lrm

I`m interested in these. Where are you located Please?
Can you provide a receipt/vat invoice?

Thanks

hi,

im away till the end of next week, the original poster says he is interested in them so gonna give him first shout, if he doesnt want them i will pm you, but it would be cash only, my wife wants a fancy telly for the conservatory!

Lrm

I dont know if this of any use but i have a 61 reg Daf 85 CF Spacecab and it came with 315s on the steer axle and on the drive axle the mid lift is 17.5.It has the small lip on the wheel arches as usually fitted with super singles.

A slightly dirsturbing thread this one :open_mouth:

Now I’m not going to say that none of you have a clue, but it does appear that very few people realise the importance of tyres, statements like ‘they look nice’ or ‘might use them on a trailer’ really emphasise the lack of knowledge.

Unless you’re up to your bottom step in mud all day, rolling resistance is (or should be) the number one factor in tyre choice, an artic with something like Michelin XZA/XDA/XTA Energy tyres all around will get up to a full mpg better on fuel than an artic on tyres with high rolling resistance.

I bet that your fuel costs outweigh your tyre costs by a significant margin, with that in mind even though Michelin are expensive, the fuel savings will mean that you could buy two complete sets of them rather than one set of cheap tyres and still save money.

If you don’t believe me, think of it this way, try riding (or remember when you could :laughing: ) a pushbike with spongy tyres, then pump them right up until they’re almost bursting, a lot more effort is required with the spongy tyres just to ride on the level, with high pressure in them you fly along and could coast along on the level. Translate to a lorry and the extra effort needed to overcome tyres with poor rolling resistance comes staright out of the diesel tank :bulb:

This is not opinion, it’s physics :wink:

Warning: Look at your office copy of the plating certificate for tyre size. To run with incorrect tyres will get your driver a fine - for each tyre - and you a likely PG9. Change tyre sizes then you will need to replate.

silverbullet:
Warning: Look at your office copy of the plating certificate for tyre size. To run with incorrect tyres will get your driver a fine - for each tyre - and you a likely PG9. Change tyre sizes then you will need to replate.

And don’t forget you’ll need the tacho recalibrating too :wink:

silverbullet:
Change tyre sizes then you will need to replate.

well i better go and tell me mr vosa he doesnt know his arse from his elbow then, i changed from 295 to 315 and i have the same plate, i went into the test station and he told me that as long as the axle weights werent being reduced by changing tyre size then i didnt need to change the plate

If you go up in tyre size & loading your ok, whats on the plate will be the minimum requirement so VOSA won’t care but as Mr Newmercman says take your 295/80’s off the drive & swap them out for 315/80’s & you should by law have your tacho recalibrated, unless that is you want to overtake everyone else apart from The Irish :smiley: & probably use a smidge less squirt…

fly sheet:
If you go up in tyre size & loading your ok, whats on the plate will be the minimum requirement so VOSA won’t care but as Mr Newmercman says take your 295/80’s off the drive & swap them out for 315/80’s & you should by law have your tacho recalibrated, unless that is you want to overtake everyone else apart from The Irish :smiley: & probably use a smidge less squirt…

yeah mine does 58 now which comes in handy now and again :smiley:

chaversdad:

fly sheet:

yeah mine does 58 now which comes in handy now and again :smiley:

Happy days every little helps…