30 or 45 min break when in 3.5t van for one day?

Hi, just can’t seem to find the difinitive answer on this one, driving a van for one day, in the truck for the rest of the week, should the break still be 45 mins, or 30 as under GB rules? Will do manual entry when back in the wagon.

Actually, here’s another one, are old style analogue tacho envelopes still a legal format for recording activity when not in the truck, or does it have to be on the back of a print out, or the dreaded attestation form?

Cheers.

To be clear:
You normally drive an over 3.5T truck under GB Domestic rules, and for one day you will be driving a van under 3.5T?
Or
Do you mean you are normally truck driving under EU rules and wonder if driving a van puts you under GB rules for one day?

Yes sorry I didn’t make myself clear I normally drive a truck under EU rules so for one day will be driving a 3.5 tonne van.

OK, that`s what I thought but just checking.:grinning:

I thought if you spent any time in the week under eu rules the whole week had to be under the eu rules.

However you decide to record the time in the van just put a 45 in there to clear your driving time if you think you did more than 4.5 hours driving. No one is going to know the difference

So, I guess you are top of most of this but,
One day in a week under EU rules and you`re under EU rules all week regarding breaks and daily rest…
Driving the van (under 3.5T for van and any trailer) the drive time counts as duty time, not driving time.
So breaks need to obey the 6 hr rules, and you can forget about 45min after 4,5hr drive etc. you are not driving regards LGV rules.
You are a LGV driver at work so need to have your records with you. You can mark the back of a tacho disc or the back of a print out roll during your time in the van. That will show the end of daily rest, duty and breaks, but no driving.
All the rules are here
Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles - 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours - Guidance - GOV.UK

Ok thanks for that. I drive for one of the express parcel carriers so follow the six hour rule every day anyway as I never drive for anywhere near 4 1/2 hours.

It’s just that they are putting some truck drivers in vans at the moment as they are running out of trucks, believe it or not.

So will do a manual entry the following day, showing other work and at least a 45-minute break.

Regarding the other part of my question, are tacho envelopes a legal way of keeping a manual record or do you have to do it on the back of a printout or a tacho disk?

Cheers.

"When a tachograph is not available to record data in real time, the only permitted methods for drivers to make a manual entry are to:

• make a manual entry on an analogue tachograph record sheet
  • make a manual entry on digital printout paper
  • retrospectively use the manual input facility on a digital tachograph when the card is next inserted.

Analogue records must show the start and end times for each period of activity, as well as the driver’s name. Digital printout paper records must include the driver’s name, driver card number or driving licence number.

The regulations do not permit any other forms of manual records, such as diaries or timesheets. However, the European Commission has confirmed that Commission Decision C(2009) 9895 continues to apply until it is repealed. This means that until the EU establishes a new way to record other activities, EU member states will continue to accept attestation forms for journeys through them. DVSA will, by limited exception, accept attestation forms that are completed and signed by the operator and then signed by the driver."

So, it is very clear that the back of a disc or back of tacho roll is good. I wouldn`t use anything else.

What is a tacho envelope?

Used to keep your analogue tacho discs in and record your weekly drive/other work/poa etc.

So does this means that the written records should look something like this…

“Out of Scope
Duty time 06.00am to 17.30
Break taken 10.00am to 10.15am
Break taken 12.00p to 13.00”

Along with all the fields on the back of the printout paper filled in with drivers name, Licence number, start and end location, date and signature??

I think not.
The OP is not “Out Of Scope”

He is still working within Eu rules. It is just that he does not have access to a tachograph.

Out Of Scope covers driving HGVs etc but outside of Tacho rules. For Mechanics etc.
The OP is within tacho rules, but is not actually in a truck with a tacho.

Tacho rolls and wax discs have a graph on the rear. Use a pen to trace rest, duty, break, duty, rest, against the time scale. No need for driving as driving under 3.5T is not (within the LGV regs) driving.

This shows how to use the back of the tacho roll. It is however talking of a broken tacho. In the OP`s case he is not driving an LGV nor Bus, so will probably use only Rest, Duty, and Break, not Driving. https://youtu.be/SkfJ6o72hkU?si=M766XliEW5kD8XSd
Since he is not in any LGV/Bus no need for reg number nor mileage either.

1 Like