3 weeks in...

Just finished my first 3 weeks as a professional driver. Talk about a steep learning curve!! Been to loads of different places with anything from a 4x2 unit and a 10m tandem trailer to a 6x2 unit and a 13m tri axle. Been in some easy access service yards to some nightmare blind sides reverses in pedestrianised areas. Must say I’m quite impressed with myself, I’ve quite enjoyed the challenges! Can be tricky finding new places and working out which entrance I can use (service road as opposed to public) but a bit of common sense goes a long way. I’m off to bed now 'cos I’m knackered, just thought I’d share that with you all :grimacing:

Well done young man,this is only the start.
Good luck,you’re at the start of your career,whilst I’m nearing the end of mine,BUT I’M STILL LEARNING!

Nice one mate, good effort.

Yeh, well done mate. I’m just preparing to get back in the driving seat again… got my medical today, assuming that all goes well… am doing a cpc asap. Been doing a bit of shunting in a nearby yard… funny how quick you get your eye back in… like swimming - once learned etc. But I take my hat off to new drivers, lots of hoops to jump through, not sure I’d have the heart for all those hoops if I had to start now - so top marks! And as besbooties said… always something to learn.

Well done fella!
It seems we have Tarrman at the start of his career,Bestbooties at the end of his and me parked up at Harthill somewhere in the middle…Reckon I could learn off both of you,what with young un’s enthusiasm and owd un’s :grimacing: experience.

Dunno where you stand Mick?
Good luck with you Dave too!

Oh,at a slight tangent…cant seem to get your link working Ian,maybe because I’m on an Ipad?

ShropsBri:
Oh,at a slight tangent…cant seem to get your link working Ian,maybe because I’m on an Ipad?

Keep trying mate,it’s becoming an historical document I think!

Nice one,the only way to learn in at the deep end :laughing:

Well done! Ah, the blind side reverse. What a joy that can be!

Not sure that I’d describe driving as a ‘career’ though as one poster suggested. At least, not in the normal sense of the word, although it’s etymology is very apt!

More a vocation perhaps?

Well done that man, it’s always good to get a couple of weeks under your belt.

bestbooties:
Well done young man,this is only the start.
Good luck,you’re at the start of your career,whilst I’m nearing the end of mine,BUT I’M STILL LEARNING!

My sentiments entirely. The only thing I would add is that you never really stop learning, and the most dangerous bloke you’ll meet on the road is the one who feels he has nothing left to learn, and doesn’t care too much about who hears it, something bad’s waiting round the corner for him, just give that type a wide berth. :grimacing:

Truckulent:
Well done! Ah, the blind side reverse. What a joy that can be!

Not sure that I’d describe driving as a ‘career’ though as one poster suggested. At least, not in the normal sense of the word, although it’s etymology is very apt!

More a vocation perhaps?

Oh,you mean the DREADED blind side reverse.
Did one this morning,can I get a job on EST now ?

I am just like you Tarrman. I’ve been with this firm now for 2 months and been all over the uk in a rigid. I’ve had night outs the lot and living the dream :smiley:

mickyblue:
I am just like you Tarrman. I’ve been with this firm now for 2 months and been all over the uk in a rigid. I’ve had night outs the lot and living the dream :smiley:

Good to hear! :sunglasses:

Ahh, them were the days, excitement round every corner!

The end game is always zero damage.