3 Point Turn

Don’t know if this has been posted before , but worth a look if anyone struggling with reversing .

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -edge.html

£10 says it’s the logger video.

stagedriver:
£10 says it’s the logger video.

Yer you’ve won the £10 , the link didn’t work so tried again ( the tenner is in the post ) or if you prefer I’ll put it in your Nigerian bank account ha ha

thomasb9295:
…the link didn’t work

You can say that again.

Contraflow:

thomasb9295:
…the link didn’t work

You can say that again.

The link didnt work

I just hate to disappoint people :laughing: :laughing:

Daily Fail strike again. 200 tons…

Tarrman:
Daily Fail strike again. 200 tons…

Well that’s a figure plucked from thin air, I couldn’t really imagine what would happen exactly with 200t on board. I’ll be honest I’ve never had an axle weight of 67t before so I couldn’t really say… :open_mouth:

200 ton just on the wagon! Must be very dense wood. Or a dense reporter.

The original video a few years ago featured an A frame drawbar.

Different ball game to a tandem trailer.

Just saying like :wink:

Inselaffe:

I am not sad that A frames are fast vanishing from the world…while they corner nicely I’m sure that reversing them is 75% luck! My 2nd day into a parcel van job (years ago) the boss said “Show me what you can do, back up that trailer into that bay!”. 10 hilarious minutes later he came over and said “it’s almost impossible isn’t it”, disconnected the truck, drove off and came back with a farm tractor and nosed it in with that.
If there is a trick to backing them up no one has ever shared it with me! Once the dolly is off-straight anything can and usually does happen…

th2013:

Inselaffe:

I am not sad that A frames are fast vanishing from the world…while they corner nicely I’m sure that reversing them is 75% luck! My 2nd day into a parcel van job (years ago) the boss said “Show me what you can do, back up that trailer into that bay!”. 10 hilarious minutes later he came over and said “it’s almost impossible isn’t it”, disconnected the truck, drove off and came back with a farm tractor and nosed it in with that.
If there is a trick to backing them up no one has ever shared it with me! Once the dolly is off-straight anything can and usually does happen…

Try 20+ drops in the centre of London, that’s how I learnt to reverse one, the old school way in at the deep end :laughing: :laughing:

I actually miss the A frame, once mastered it was a useful tool on the job it was on.

th2013:

Inselaffe:

The secret is in the length of the Aframe.Under 2m & you will struggle. The Thais have a short Aframe but also have a switch in the cab to lock the turntable so its like reversing an artic.

th2013:

Inselaffe:

Most of our trucks pull A-frame four axle trailers. Due to axle weight restrictions using a semi for carting bricks just isn’t worth it. Our last remaining semi with six twin axles can barely take 24 packs, my six wheeler and four axle trailer takes up to forty two.
With regards to reversing around corners, everyone gets three attempts, any more and you’re a numpty! Yes, I too, have been a numpty countless times. I usually stuff up when ppl are watching.

How long is the A frame on that outfit? The Swiss rigs that I drove generally had a 6m bed on the truck,2m Aframe & 8m bed on the trailer. The truck was usually 2 axle & 8t load max. The trailer was normally 3 axle & you could put on as much as was legal & more,but usually 12t.

harry:
How long is the A frame on that outfit? The Swiss rigs that I drove generally had a 6m bed on the truck,2m Aframe & 8m bed on the trailer. The truck was usually 2 axle & 8t load max. The trailer was normally 3 axle & you could put on as much as was legal & more,but usually 12t.

About two metres. Three years ago the legislation was changed and all A-frame trailers in WA had to be lengthened to increase axle spacing between drive and dolly. Apparently to better protect the road surface from getting churned up during tight turns. A nice side effect was that, as you describe, a longer A-frame makes for easier reversing.
Overall length now is 19.75 metres.

robbiminator:

harry:

About two metres. Three years ago the legislation was changed and all A-frame trailers in WA had to be lengthened to increase axle spacing between drive and dolly. Apparently to better protect the road surface from getting churned up during tight turns. A nice side effect was that, as you describe, a longer A-frame makes for easier reversing.
Overall length now is 19.75 metres.

Its 18.75 in Swiss for road trains.