2nd job

hi there. i am a full time hgv driver mon -fri and i was wondering if im allowed to have a second job on sundays? i know that theres this 48h average working week rule but you can opt out from it as far as im aware. or would that still clash with my tacho rules? ive got a big family holiday next year so i need to get some monies in before im away for a month or so. the job would be 0900-1700 and i usually start at about 4 or 5am on mondays very rarely go over 13h so no reduced rests. no need to have a go at me times are hard and extra money wouldn’t go a miss :grimacing:

Trucker8oy:
hi there. i am a full time hgv driver mon -fri and i was wondering if im allowed to have a second job on sundays? i know that theres this 48h average working week rule but you can opt out from it as far as im aware. or would that still clash with my tacho rules? ive got a big family holiday next year so i need to get some monies in before im away for a month or so. the job would be 0900-1700 and i usually start at about 4 or 5am on mondays very rarely go over 13h so no reduced rests. no need to have a go at me times are hard and extra money wouldn’t go a miss :grimacing:

if you already work full time mon to fri then you can only do every other sunday I’m afraid…

as the EU driver rules (NOT WTD which you mention you opted out of) state that you must take a 'regular weekly rest period of at least 45 hours

you can take a ‘reduced’ weekly rest period (of minimum 24 hours), however you have to make up the short-fall by the end of the third week…so if you take 24 hours then you have to take the 21 hours less by the end of the 3rd week ‘on top’ of the 45 hours

this is the case ‘regardless’ of what work you do and in what profession, even self-employed jobs

see here for full details:
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

as you start work at 4 or 5am you would need the 45 hours rest from say 5pm on a friday (if you finish at 5pm), so that means you need to not do any other work until 2pm on a Monday, or if you take the ‘reduced’ rest then you need to make it up by end of 3rd week somehow…which is not possible unless you take a holiday…from either full time job or the sunday job (as you’d need 45 hours PLUS the hours needed to make up for the lost rest in your reduced period), hope that makes sense

Trucker8oy:

I know you said “no need to have a go at me” but if you’re doing 5 days a work and rarely going over 13 hrs so I’m guessing you’re doing 11 and 12 hr days then obviously you’re living way above your means, you’ll end up going pop if you keep pushing yourself like you want to.

I think you’ll also need to keep records of all times working for your 2nd employer. I believe this should be done as a manual entry on your digital tacho (Assuming digi) on Mon morning for work done the day before?. Assuming again your employers analyses your records, how will a second job sit with them?
Of course, you may opt not to record anything, but you’re asking what the rules are. I’ll stand correction on anything I’ve written not an expert.

Edit. I’m assuming it’s a non driving job on the Sunday? If driving and assuming all digital tacho then your hours wiill be obvious both employers.

TB doesn’t seem to make it clear what the 2nd job is

If the second job isnt using your tacho card or involves driving anything larger than a transit then crack on. No records on your card so you can do every sunday if you want. Technically you can only do every 2nd sunday and need to be careful re your working time and three(?) week average but if neither job knows about the other then thats your business and nobody elses if you want to work every sunday
The problems arise however if you have an RTA during your mon - fri job and it comes to light your moonlighting with an extra days work. Even if its irrelevant to the actual incident theyll still hang you out to dry

Instead of working 2 jobs to get more money try finding a job that gives a decent rate of pay

If second job is not under EU regs then it comes under the normal WTD which can be fully opted out of so does not get added the average 48 drivers WTD

As said already - your legal responsibility is to adhere to the EU tacho weekly rest rules

9.00 - 17.00 = 8hrs, Got to ask yourself will it be worth it keeping in mind your second Employer will take out Tax and NI at the going rate same as as your full time Boss does.
Suggest you either look for another better paid job or live within your means,as your already doing about 60 hrs a week

sorry forgot to mention its not a driving job its just a job down a local store for 8h every sunday. i see what you guys are saying i might just tighten my belt and stay in one job

Trucker8oy:
sorry forgot to mention its not a driving job its just a job down a local store for 8h every sunday. i see what you guys are saying i might just tighten my belt and stay in one job

It is good advice but if you should choose to ignore it who’ll know if you don’t tell? :wink:

It is good advice but if you should choose to ignore it who’ll know if you don’t tell? :wink:

shhhhhhh!!! :smiling_imp:

Trucker8oy:

Had you asked me privately then my advice would have been to go for it, but not to have told the whole of the internet about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you not get a days overtime once a fortnight? Surely that’s going to pay far more than whatever the other job might be?!