2nd Career

So after 22 years in the Army it is time to go. Pretty frightening I can tell you. After sitting down and thinking about what I want to do with the rest of my life I thought that getting a C+E licence and driving big trucks around the UK and Europe would be a good idea. Alot better than driving a desk, which is basically what I have been doing. But before I commit I thought I would try and get some advice from people who have been there and done it. What is the work like? How difficult is the theory and driving test? What is the pay like(pretty important that one!!). Any good training establishments in or around Central Scotland? Hope you don’t mind a noob asking such inane questions :unamused:

What’s the work like??
Varied. Big difference between tramping across Europe and Multi Drops in Leeds. The job is whatever you wasnt it to be.
How Difficult is the theory and Driving test??
How clued up on rules and regs are you and how good a driver are you??You may find it easy you may find it difficult.
What is the pay like?
Depends on what you are doing and who you are doing it for.

Asking inane questions■■?
Well you can ask - but there are no answers. It is like asking someone to read the future.
If you want to do it then you have to give it a go - like the rest of us did.

Have you done your resetelment course if not and you can do the following take your driveing tests forC:E; ALSO IF YOU can take part in these courses
forklift,hiab, adr/haz all groups packages & tanks, also once you have passed your test try to get a training course with a local firm whilist still being in the
Forces, This will give you a look at how life is in civvy street as belive me
after being away from the human race it will be a shock to your system
You will be starting all over again and at the bottom what ever you do LOOK
LEARN AND ASK no matter how idiotic it may seem ,as only by asking can one learn, SOME PEOPLE WILL SAY THE TEST IS DIFFICULT WHILE OTHERS WILL STATE ;NO ITS EASY;ONLY BY PARTICIPATING YOURSELF CAN YOU GET A PROPER ANSWER;wages it depends on what type of work you can get and where abouts in SCOTLAND you will be liveing,look on here at all posts to do with driveing schools,you will need patience, and a strong
will as jobs at the begining will not be so good,until you have gained experience , take a look at the useful posts site here and pick out those points that you belivemay help you.take a look at the VOSA SITE AND READ SO THAT you learn about the rules and regs which are used to enforce
the law,as regards driveing,hours,working time etc etc

right some one elses turn to post something now.

Mothertrucker:
how good a driver are you??

Well he’s ex army, so he’ll know it all and there’ll be nothing he hasn’t done. I think he’d get on very well with members like airhorn98, for example.

Well he’s ex army, so he’ll know it all and there’ll be nothing he hasn’t done. I think he’d get on very well with members like airhorn98, for example.

Meeeow!! Here Kitty Kitty!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

i was in the army for 3 years & it was a shock coming back to civvy street.

Rob K:

Mothertrucker:
how good a driver are you??

That hurt my feelings :cry: