29% of lorry drivers have fallen asleep while driving

robroy:
You know when you become tired, it does not just come on instantly and you fall asleep just like that, it’s a gradual thing.

That’s how it used to work with me and that was scary enough. Then one night, without any noticeable warning, my eyes closed and I was asleep. Not for long, not sure how long but I was out of it. Another night I was knackered and planned to stop at Cherwell. I didn’t even see Cherwell. My truck was double shifted and it was the gaffer who drove it in the daytime. He was also a work mate due to us working for the same company until he put a truck on the road so it wasn’t quite the usual boss/worker relationship. I started having a kip when I needed it but of course that meant some days he was late starting his work. He pulled me on it and I explained he had the choice of being late some days or coming to recover the lorry from some ditch or whatever. A couple of weeks later I did what had to be done and put my notice in, no hard feelings. I just couldn’t do it anymore. I still drop in the yard for a chinwag and a brew if I’m passing by.

Night trunk on Swifts many years ago, I was returning from Wakefield to Northampton and had no memory of the journey between the M18 and Watford Gap ? I can only put it down to sleeping as I drove. I have often found myself dozing off and starting to wander as I drive, I stop at the very first available spot and get at least 15 minutes and take a chocolate energy square, they usually work.

I remember as a young lad in the 80s after doing a mega long ‘80s style’ shift (more like 2 shifts consecutively :unamused: ) braking up hard to avoid a guy walking across the M.way with a dog, saw him as clear as day, …although I didn’t, I was hallucinating. :open_mouth:
Different times, but NO excuses. :bulb:

After saying that, I’d be the first to condemn anybody who works like that today, and there are still some, but who should know better, it just aint acceptable in 2018.

Santa:
So says Unite news.motors.co.uk/statistics/mo … -to-unite/

Then, most learn from their mistakes and try not to get into that situation again. Including taking breaks and getting a good nights rest

Saratoga:

Santa:
So says Unite news.motors.co.uk/statistics/mo … -to-unite/

Then, most learn from their mistakes and try not to get into that situation again. Including taking breaks and getting a good nights rest

One of the points Unite are trying to make is that sleeping in a truck in a noisy MSA or a roadside layby being shaken by passing traffic, isnt conducive to a good nights rest.

Indeed. Or having 9 hours off with an hours commute each way, and no availability to sleep in the cab.

If drivers asleep that it is this does not mean who drivers tied .Some people can sleep at home or in truck 10-12 hours per day but he will asleep Asap.If this happened that this person have some sickness arteries problem,fat body as well no good,eating plenty of snack…Some people start watch TV at home and after 30 minute he ready asleep.

Franglais:
One of the points Unite are trying to make is that sleeping in a truck in a noisy MSA or a roadside layby being shaken by passing traffic, isnt conducive to a good nights rest.

It’s so much better going home after a long night shift living in an urban area just as the long term road works start for the day added to by all the other usual commotion going on outside the house.Don’t remember the union offering me another decent job when the choice was get on with it or leave without a job to go to and join the dole queue.

On that note I’d have much preferred the distance international trunking job with IPEC etc involving nights out and sleeping in the truck thanks.The unions really have lost the plot and are now just applying selective bollox to suit their own political agenda.In this case obviously another ploy to ■■■■■■■ the long haul road transport sector with day cabs.While also making sure to avoid raising any issues with the hours regime.Which would upset their EU cronies and the overall shift time needed for the type of short haul work which they want to lumber the UK road transport industry with.

Happened once to me in the first year of driving - woke up on the hard shoulder doing at least 60 and a car about 150 yards in front . Got it out and round it and gave myself one hell of a scare .
Every employer since has been told the same thing before I started working to them - if I’m tired I’ll ring and tell you that I’m not going to make the deadline / delivery and where I’ll be parked . Its either late or you send someone to take the trailer from me - your deadlines are not my responsibility if I haven’t been asked about them before hand . Ask me what time I’ll be there and I can tell you to within the hour . If you tell me what time I "have " to be there and I have no say or input into the matter you have no say or input if I decide I’m to tired to safely get the truck down the road .

Any decent boss will understand - if they don’t work elsewhere , and thats the reason there are certain companies I will not work for .

"Get that trailer to “where ever” its a secure load - no stopping on the way there "
“Are you paying for a new seat and change of clothes ?”
“No”
"Then if I have to stop for a toilet I will "

A maximum night duty time of considerably less than 15 hours with no opt out is long overdue and should be a priority for all transport organisations, unions, Health and Safety executive, trucking press maybe and anyone else you can think of.

Saratoga:
Indeed. Or having 9 hours off with an hours commute each way, and no availability to sleep in the cab.

An hour’s commute each way or not, you can say wtf you like (including the insomniac heroes :unamused: ) 9 hours off after and/or before a 15 hour shift is not enough nor condusive with road safety…end of.
Those 9 hours are not pure rest 9 times out of 10, but include meal, shower, unwind, and then you don’t sleep as soon as you hit the pillow, so could (and does) add up to as little as six hours proper kip…brilliant idea when controlling 44 tonnes for 9 or even 10 hours. :unamused:

robroy:

Saratoga:

An hour’s commute each way or not, you can say wtf you like (including the insomniac heroes :unamused: ) 9 hours off after and/or before a 15 hour shift is not enough nor condusive with road safety…end of.
Those 9 hours are not pure rest 9 times out of 10, but include meal, shower, unwind, and then you don’t sleep as soon as you hit the pillow, so could (and does) add up to as little as six hours proper kip…brilliant idea when controlling 44 tonnes for 9 or even 10 hours. :unamused:

Its really only maxing driving hrs we do Rob, theres no ‘other work’ as such on the regular route as its just drop/swop so the longest days are only 2x12hrs ie 2x4.5, 1x1hr + 2x45mins, the rest only 10hr days. 6-7hrs kip is all ill ever have, couldnt sleep any longer if i tried…

That’s fair enough Andrew, but I was referring more to the ‘‘Endurance Test’’ crew who see the job as something they have to milk every last second out of every day.
Driving on the limiter constantly, sat on somebdy’s arse, to the within 30 secs of their time.
Parking in the first unsuitable place they find before their time runs out, , only to take their minimum rest to start the whole stress out/■■■■ up process again for another 15 hours, …and keep on like that day after day until their inevitable heart attack. :unamused: …knobs. :smiling_imp:

They are in 2 camps, the ones who do it voluntary to be Hero no1 in their firm, or the ones who allow themselves to be pushed and hassled beyond belief.
These are the ones that are a danger to every ■■■■ else on the road …including themselves.

Carryfast:

Franglais:

It’s so much better going home after a long night shift living in an urban area just as the long term road works start for the day added to by all the other usual commotion going on outside the house.Don’t remember the union offering me another decent job when the choice was get on with it or leave without a job to go to and join the dole queue.

On that note I’d have much preferred the distance international trunking job with IPEC etc involving nights out and sleeping in the truck thanks.The unions really have lost the plot and are now just applying selective bollox to suit their own political agenda.In this case obviously another ploy to ■■■■■■■ the long haul road transport sector with day cabs.While also making sure to avoid raising any issues with the hours regime.Which would upset their EU cronies and the overall shift time needed for the type of short haul work which they want to lumber the UK road transport industry with.

I don’t think anyone is talking about day cabs only and banning sleeping in cabs. What is needed apart from a ban on long night shifts is proper parking facilities. Sleeping in a truck is fine if you’re in a parking area away from noisy through traffic. Industry, and logistics in the UK need trucks, but the infrastructure to support them isn’t there.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

It’s an alarming trait of being a pro driver these days - that to “Go Sick” for some reason that doesn’t affect driving, will likely end up with you not getting that sickness recognized.

Go sick for something more serious however - and you’re now risking your entire licence entitlement! :open_mouth:

Let’s say, you feel really dead beat all of a sudden, whilst driving down the M1 one night…
You pull into a service area, but it’s choc-a-block as usual. You have a look for some laybys, but they are all being hogged by foreign drivers.

So… As a Brit driver, you decide to do what you see all those other wagons doing - you park under a motorway bridge, behind the concrete wall…

Plod turns up, and you explain that you’ve stopped because you feel tired, rather than because you’re overnighting there.

What happens next?

Fined? Moved On? Reported to OHS? Reported to DVLA?

The RISKS these days for working drivers - have never been higher.

There is also this “Health and Safety” aspect in the works yard…
Do you report it when you’ve not been feeling well of late?
Chances are, you don’t make a fuss - because if you do, it’s either off sick with no pay, or reported in such a way that your licence entitlement might be at risk yet again. :unamused:
So… You soldier on. Perhaps it was just that bad pint you had yesterday. Or perhaps it’s the beginning of something more serious?

How many people end up snuffing it from things like Cancer, Brain Tumours, Heart Attacks etc. - that start out as little niggling pains that other than feeling a “bit unusual compared to regular aches and pains” - you decide to ignore?

Whilst Cancer is unlikely to drop a driver dead at the actual wheel of a 44t killing machine - the same cannot be said of a stroke, aneurysm, or even something like Sleep Apnoea or Hypoglycemia, bearing in mind that not every diabetic is that way their entire life upto that point where they get turned down for a licence to start with!

I suspect that I’m becoming less tolerant to sugar in my diet, for example - so I’m cutting down. I’m also getting regular blood tests done, to find out if there’s anything untoward going on, as I age further.
So far, the only recommendations have been to “change by glasses every two years”, as Eye Strain is responsible for a lot of other health spin-offs when it comes to Night Driving in particular.
I’ve now got “Anti Glare” glasses I drive with at night. :sunglasses:
Not quite looking like a poker millionaire as yet - but give it time. :blush: :grimacing:

Show me the published study rather than one persons interpretation of the study so I can form an opinion. Reports do not provide accurate information. It is likely that the study is biased by using too small a sample and also unrepresentative of the diverse range of jobs in the industry. They can start by telling me where their sample came from and the selection process then they can move on to their research design.

scanny77:
Show me the published study rather than one persons interpretation of the study so I can form an opinion. Reports do not provide accurate information. It is likely that the study is biased by using too small a sample and also unrepresentative of the diverse range of jobs in the industry. They can start by telling me where their sample came from and the selection process then they can move on to their research design.

The study will be biased to whatever result the person paying for it wants…

kcrussell25:

scanny77:

The study will be biased to whatever result the person paying for it wants…

That is why studies are supposed to be replicable. There will always be someone who wants to disprove your results so the design is provided to allow someone to copy it and present their own results. A hypothesis is only seen as supported and never proven

Maybe if you had to actually 'drive ’ the trucks nowadays instead of the fanny machines the manufacturers are turning them all into drivers would be exactly that, not morons that are present to turn the wheel, sorry but for me there was no better feeling than I was in charge of my truck at all times and doing a job I was proud of, those days seem apparently long gone and not to be repeated at the mo,lessons to be learnt maybe…

robroy:
That’s fair enough Andrew, but I was referring more to the ‘‘Endurance Test’’ crew who see the job as something they have to milk every last second out of every day.
Driving on the limiter constantly, sat on somebdy’s arse, to the within 30 secs of their time.
Parking in the first unsuitable place they find before their time runs out, , only to take their minimum rest to start the whole stress out/[zb] up process again for another 15 hours, …and keep on like that day after day until their inevitable heart attack. :unamused: …knobs. :smiling_imp:

They are in 2 camps, the ones who do it voluntary to be Hero no1 in their firm, or the ones who allow themselves to be pushed and hassled beyond belief.
These are the ones that are a danger to every [zb] else on the road …including themselves.

Regardless as to whether or not you do it voluntary or against your will doesn’t make you any less tired or make it any less dangerous. Those who do it are their own worst enemy. The types who think the ridiculous phrase of “keep her lit” is big and clever, those that think making a delivery come what may is the all important factor over safety, they are all in the same camp in my opinion. I am surprised that your union hasn’t stamped this out all together rob?