28 days or not

i had an asessment drive yesturday which i passed,but they say that for me to drive for them i must have my 28days worth of tachos,well ive only been able to drive comercially for 9 days,

how can i get around this as i know its a legal requirement,is there any paper work i need to complete etc cheers in advance

There is nothing to get round,either they haven’t explained themselves very well or you have misunderstood,the requirement is that you keep the previous 28 days charts with you at all times.You may well be asked to hand charts in weekly but they would always be for the week, five weeks ago.If you haven’t been working ,there is no need to pretend otherwise.Should you have had previous charts,ultimately they would need to be returned to whoever you were driving for at the time.
It would be unlikely that a condition of employment would be that you must have been driving for the previous 28 days before an assessment,that is why I think that this is a misunderstanding.

benny947mud:
i had an asessment drive yesturday which i passed,but they say that for me to drive for them i must have my 28days worth of tachos,well ive only been able to drive comercially for 9 days,

how can i get around this as i know its a legal requirement,is there any paper work i need to complete etc cheers in advance

Do they know that you’ve only been able to drive HGVs for 9 days ?
Seems strange for an assessor to say you need the 28 days of records if they know you haven’t been driving for 28 days :confused:

As Deathstar said there’s nothing to get round, you need to carry the charts used in the previous 28 days regardless of how many that amounts to.

After reading this post something occured to me…does anyone print off thier digi tacho readout’s at the end of the day for future records? I don’t see any reason for doing it for digi cards as the information can be uploaded to a computer in seconds.

If I use paper tacho’s, I save them all and keep them in a folder. I’ll probably keep them until I retire and pass on to the grandkids as a birthday present.

MikeDBristol:
If I use paper tacho’s, I save them all and keep them in a folder. I’ll probably keep them until I retire and pass on to the grandkids as a birthday present.

By paper tachos do you mean printouts or analogue cards ■■

What about . . . . .

RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DRIVER

Article 15 of Regulation 3821/85 lays down the requirements for drivers in relation to the tachograph and tachograph charts. Each driver must:

• keep completed tachograph sheets for the current day, plus the preceding 28 calendar days. If there are problems in meeting this requirement (for example, the driver has just started working for a new employer), a “letter of attestation” should be carried to explain why. The letter should be produced by the employer in the languages of the countries the driver is likely to visit.

If the company is concerned that you wouldn’t have 29 days worth of records to produce if stopped by VOSA/Police, then the above system should work, let a lone the fact that the date on your licence would corroborate this explanation.

Maybe it’s just their way of getting out of taking on a ‘newbie’ driver . . . . . . . . :unamused: