26 tonne rigid

New driver to heavy loads and long rigids, am I overweight because I think I am and the loaders say yeah no probs. I’m used to driving armoured little class 2’s in my last job and didn’t have to worry about weight.

Go easy eh?
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Does that say axle 2 11500 on the ministry plate?

It does yeah

What is the weight of the load, if its palletised per pallet and how is it loaded on the vehicle? If you’re not sure of the weight what is it you’re carrying and what quantities as many of us have a fair idea of what stuff weighs.

13 bulk bags, he said they’re around a tonne each, but could be more.

And it’s powdered cement etc

Bogey weight seems ok to me, going by the dash and the plate.

Front axle weights could catch you out mind.

It’s ■■■■ close on back axles.

Where’s the odd bag been loaded? Assuming 2 across for the other 12

If it’s at the back then your very likely overweight at front

Most bulks are around the 1t. What does paperwork say?

Don’t they have a weighbridge in/out to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m guessing the back axle has built in scales on it if. it is then your half a tone under the max weight on them axles

Am I missing something here, not used to modern tech giving me axle weight on the dash, but your vehicle is saying the weight of the loads at 18.5 ton? Or is that your total gross? If so id be shocked if your unladen vehicle weighs just 7.5 tonne, my 26tonner has a payload of 16t. It wouldn’t get off its ■■■ at 18.5 tonne laden.

Also hopefully you’ve not loaded from the headboard 2 abreast as I’m pretty sure that will overload your front end.

To be honest I haven’t got a clue lads

I think op you need to establish 3 marks on your body by trial and error method by loading a uniform semetrical load and weighing the front axle ,the marks represent the furthest back,the furthest forward and the centre of a semetrical uniform load ,looking at what you’ve put above if the lorry is a standard 26 tonner /10 ish empty then I’d say your steering will be very light .

My lorry has the same axle weights as yours but weighs 15600 empty as I’ve 3 tonne of hook gear and a 3 tonne crane behind the cab ,I can load a semitracal load of 10 tonne with the centre of the load exactly between the rear axles and it leaves the front steer about 7500 .

The truck weighs 11.5 empty so that gives 14.5 to play with, most of the time when I’m loading at my depot I’m on the weighbridge which comes out just under, it was just the collection today from Tarmac, I questioned the weight and the loader said you’ll be fine but after it was loaded the back of the truck was touching the rear wheels, that never happens when I load at depot, even with a full 14 tonne load. It did level out when I put the engine on.

I think next time I’ll take what I think and leave ■■■■ behind, even though I’m on probation.

If it was me I’d be loading the whole lot 2 ft further forward then when you weigh out drop the front axle just off the bridge and take away that weight from you gross weight to check the front axle .

As I think has been mentioned, but to sum up, your rear axles look to be within weight; but your front axle may well be over. The body touching the wheels; that’s just the air bag on the axles have emptied - when you switch the engine on again the should re set to travelling height. There should also be controls in the cab so you can raise/lower the rear air suspension.

Next time you load to max weight, just run the front axle on the weighbridge so the truck is half way on - this should give a pretty accurate reading of how much weight is being carried on the front axle.

There is a maths calculation you can do too, but I can’t recall the formula.

el_presidente:
As I think has been mentioned, but to sum up, your rear axles look to be within weight; but your front axle may well be over. The body touching the wheels; that’s just the air bag on the axles have emptied - when you switch the engine on again the should re set to travelling height. There should also be controls in the cab so you can raise/lower the rear air suspension.

Next time you load to max weight, just run the front axle on the weighbridge so the truck is half way on - this should give a pretty accurate reading of how much weight is being carried on the front axle.

The formula works best on a 2 axle but you need to know the unladen axle weights ,

On a manual control air ride height unless it’s it’s set to normal it takes away the rear brake pressure .not sure about modern lorrys with electric buttons though :blush:

Not sure why you would think the front axle be over weight ,If the back 2 axles are 18.5 ,the Tare is 11500 with 13 tonne on then I get the front steer to be 6 tonne ?

Punchy Dan:

el_presidente:

The formula works best on a 2 axle but you need to know the unladen axle weights ,

On a manual control air ride height unless it’s it’s set to normal it takes away the rear brake pressure .not sure about modern lorrys with electric buttons though :blush:

Not sure why you would think the front axle be over weight ,If the back 2 axles are 18.5 ,the Tare is 11500 with 13 tonne on then I get the front steer to be 6 tonne ?

Found it:

roadfleetforte.co.uk/vehicle-overloading/

Payload weight x distance from centre of load to rear axle (ignore the lift axle) divided by wheelbase = weight over front axle.

It’s not perfect but a useful indicator.

The reason I think the front axle is likely to be overloaded is from experience of carrying similar back in my rigid days (no pun intended). You can’t compensate for the weight by putting the heavy stuff in the middle and tapering out the light stuff front and back as it’s all the same weight.

Just going to stick my two penn’orth in on this - if you want to check the front axle weight on a vehicle, make sure the weighbridge is either flush mounted or has flat ramps at either end. If the vehicle is on any sort of incline you’ll get the wrong answer.

Assuming there is a flat area before the weighbridge, drive the front axle on as far as you can without getting any of the rear bogie axles on the plate. That will give you a reasonably accurate front axle weight.

The DVSA axle weighbridges have software that sum individual bogie axles and unless there is a serious overload on any one axle, usually indicating a fault with the suspension, then they would only take action against an overloaded bogie.