24v or 12v ?

Hi all, I’ve just started using a 06 Scania P230. Is the cigrette lighter 24v or 12v?
I went to use my new kettle through a 24v - 12v dropper but this just blew the 5amp fuse in the dropper! i was then thinking of putting my kettle straight to the lighter… i run my Sat Nav and phone charger straight to it.
I have looked through the Scania handbook that comes with the truck, but no imformation…

Anyone know?

Cheers.

Most truck cigarette lighters are 24v, but I couldn’t swear to it.

A kettle would draw quite a bit more than 5 amps I would have thought.

I would have though it was marked.

I think the cigarette lighter is 12v and then lower down further to the passenger side facing the passenger is 1x 12v and 1x 24v Hella sockets. These are marked with maximum wattages. Think it’s about 10amp a piece so 120W or 240W.

Get a Hella adaptor wotsit if you want to plug the kettle in.

*Disclaimer, don’t shoot me if it blows up! :smiley:

Simon:
Most truck cigarette lighters are 24v, but I couldn’t swear to it…

Assume its 24v as most are.

With Scanias for some unknown reason the newer they are the lower wattage they take > Scania for you :unamused:

I have got a 54 plate scania, and they are without a doubt 24volt, as mine wasnt working when i got the lorry, so when scania fitted the new one i asked them to check the output on all the plugs just to make sure nobody had messed around with the wiring. :slight_smile:

it will be 24 volts almost certain of that - ive actually never heard of a 12 volts supply threw the cig lighter on a unit before, you should have a hella socket somewere on your dash which you can get a 12 volt supply off as it has a switch you can drop the voltage by yourself - i cant say for sure as i have not had a shot of your particular model - but they dropper things are pish i use everthing threw the hella plug.

daleyboy:
I have got a 54 plate scania, and they are without a doubt 24volt, as mine wasnt working when i got the lorry, so when scania fitted the new one i asked them to check the output on all the plugs just to make sure nobody had messed around with the wiring. :slight_smile:

I agree…I just rented a 54 plate Scanny rigid this weekend and it’s definitely 24V…how do I know? Nearly blew up my 12V fridge with it!

Shrek:

daleyboy:

I agree…I just rented a 54 plate Scanny rigid this weekend and it’s definitely 24V…how do I know? Nearly blew up my 12V fridge with it!

How come my satnav runs off cigi lighter does that mean its 12 or 24 v confused here

thecoder0:
How come my satnav runs off cigi lighter does that mean its 12 or 24 v confused here

Because almost all power leads for sat Navs are dual volatge 12/24 volt. None of them pass the full volts through to the device, it is usually dropped to something like 5 volts within the plug. The same applies to mobile phone and PDA charger leads, every one I have ever used is dual voltage.

cig lighter socket is 24 volt but dnt plug your kettle into it you will burn the socket out they are not designed to take that amount of amps change the end for a hella and use the sockets at the left hand side of the dash. i found that out when i used mine!! the boss was ■■■■■■ right off when scania had to replace the wiring loom as well because it had all melted :confused: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: