24v or 12v reducer

do you plug your Sat nav/phone straight into the 24v socket?

eBay sellers 24v to 12v reducers for about 15 quid and I wondered if it would be worth investing in one, my phone nor Sat nav have neither melted or blown up, but I don’t know if it will have a long term effect and it would be cheaper to buy one than replace expensive electronics.

Hi even the chepo usb adaptors have a small bit of electronic gubbins inside to drop the 24v to 12v to run phone satnav i pod etc
i used to have an old roadstar t.v. which was 12v only and had to run a dropper as not to blow it up rather than straight into the 24v lighter socket but if in doubt do use a dropper it wont harm aything

Most lighter socket plugs for electronic devices are suitable for 12 or 24v. If you look on the plug it will tell you what the input voltage range is,

If it’s a USB connection then the output voltage is 5v.

If it’s an appliance that runs straight off the input voltage, like a kettle or inverter, then it needs to be plugged in the correct voltage.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Yes, you were right, the car charger does take 24 or 12v. I ordered one anyway, it would be nice to have the extra socket.

I bought a 24/12 voltage dropper a couple of months back as some of our later motors only have 24 volt sockets,most have 12 and 24.
This was to charge my phone which also has a very good sat nav on it, and a separate dash cam.
However, last week I bought an Aguri sat nav that will run on 12 or 24 volts. It says on the plug: input 12/24volts, output 5 volts.
Have tried it on the 12 volt but not yet on the 24 volt.