24v Kettle

Can anyone recommend me a kettle for my cab.
Dont want one that needs an adaptor or anything like that, just one I can plug right in to the 24v ■■■ lighter.

Cheers.

What is the socket in your truck rated at? Most of the 24 volt kettles are around the 300 watt mark so will be drawing 12 - 13 amps, at least, while cigarette light sockets are usually 5 - 10 amps.

You can get kettles with a lower wattage but they will take an age to boil.

Coffeeholic:
What is the socket in your truck rated at? Most of the 24 volt kettles are around the 300 watt mark so will be drawing 12 - 13 amps, at least, while cigarette light sockets are usually 5 - 10 amps.

Not sure, it’s an Axor if that helps.

I will apologise in the first instance, please dont think im hijacking your thread!!! :blush: :blush: I wasnt sure whether or not to ask this similar question on this thread or a new thread :blush: I was wondering the same thing but on a smaller scale, have just got me a very small kettle ( 400ml , rated voltage 115/230v,rated frequency 50/60Hz, & was wondering how to get it to work off the ■■■ lighter so it can be used in a recently aquired 3.5 tonne van , thinking maybe I will go touring in it when I have time off work ( my new project in my spare time) :confused: , it would be easier & cheaper for me ( saving accomodation fees etc) , any constructive ideas greatly appreciated, :wi nk: :smiley:

redbob:

Coffeeholic:

Not sure, it’s an Axor if that helps.

I can’t remember what the 24 socket in an Axor is, but there are 2 or 3, one you can switch between 12/24 volts, and I think one of these is at least is 15 amps.

Get a little gas stove burner and refillable bottles. A small saucepan and boiled water in seconds.
All those kettles are rubbish.

bigvern1:
Get a little gas stove burner and refillable bottles. A small saucepan and boiled water in seconds.

I would agree with that, although some firms do not allow the use of gas appliances in the cab.

Harry Monk:

bigvern1:

I would agree with that, although some firms do not allow the use of gas appliances in the cab.

+1

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

bigvern1:

+1

+2, takes 5 mins at most, another tip is to buy a flask and fill it up with hot water at the begining of the day, saves spending 5mins every hour or so to boil up some water for a cuppa.

if you use a gas stove in the cab make sure it aint bloody leaking, mine was and when I fired it up I had two footwells full of flames. Very frightening and hot :exclamation:

raymundo:
if you use a gas stove in the cab make sure it aint bloody leaking, mine was and when I fired it up I had two footwells full of flames. Very frightening and hot :exclamation:

I got gassed out the one day, had to stop on the m4 hard shoulder to sort it out, I kept a spare canister in the overhead locker, no lid on it and it managed to get squashed between my grub box and the side of the locker :laughing: , driving along thinking whats that smell, it got stronger and stronger, i turned down the radio and heard the hissing :open_mouth: :laughing:

Camping kettles are £2.50 in tescos and you can buy the attachment that fits on top of those little round gas canisters for £1.50 don’t know how much the gas is cos they didn’t have any instore. I have just bought 1 today.
If you have a b&m near you they are selling twin burner gas stoves off for £12 but you need a large gas bottle for this type iv just robbed mine off the BBQ until I get a microwave.
I was going to wait until I got a microwave but I saw in one of the lads I work withs truck and he’s got a gas hob like what you have in your kitchen and an even bigger gas bottle than I have and he says he’s had no problems but I don’t like the idea Ov driving with a big bottle of gas at the side Ov me. That’s why I’m going to get a microwave and stick with the little bottles of gas

Mine was the type with the little canisters of gas, cheaply bought imitation Camping Gaz variety of stove, but dodgy sealing ‘O’ ring. Also did not hear it leaking either cos of the radio. Mine went on the Saturday and I couldn’t get a replacement until the Monday so no hot food or drink. 24v electric kettle had died on me also the same day !! For the rest of the week did my cooking outside the cab. TIP… do not place a hot frying pan onto a plastic battery cover, it melts it and stick the two together :blush:

Campin Gaz stove :- €25.00
Gas refills :- € 4.99
24V Kettle :- €17.00
Expensive but when needs must…

raymundo:
Mine was the type with the little canisters of gas, cheaply bought imitation Camping Gaz variety, but dodgy sealing ‘O’ ring. Also did not hear it leaking either cos of the radio. Mine went on the Saturday and I couldn’t get a replacement until the Monday so no hot food or drink. 24v electric kettle had died on me also the same day !! For the rest of the week did my cooking outside the cab. TIP… do not place a hot frying pan onto a plastic battery cover, it melts it and stick the two together :blush:

Campin Gaz stove :- €25.00
Gas refills :- € 4.99
24V Kettle :- €17.00
Expensive but when needs must…

lol, i pay a pound for a refill canister, lasts about 2 weeks.

I never had a choice, I was stuck at the exhibition centre in Friedrichshafen for a week and the nearest shopping area was a walk of normally ten minutes or so but a bit longer when you have a ruptured achilles tendon (but didnt know, thought it was a sprain or summit similar)
Going to go all electric eventually.

Big vern has it right I bought a 24v kettle takes ages and blows the trips all the time. Buy a small gas stove and a pan they boil in thirty seconds, job done. Ive no regrets since taking my gas stove, in fact I drink more tea now as its less faff

raymundo:

:open_mouth: , I had a calor gas heater do that once at home, it nearly set both me & the kitchen alight :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: always been a lot more cauious since :neutral_face: , I have a small camping gas stove somewhere, so I think I will go along with that suggestion, I have tried a flask of boiling water but this tends to go cold as you use it,& if Iam off the beaten tr

bigvern1:

ack i will need more than a flask or two :wink: :smiley:
It seemed like a good idea at the time :bulb: , being just big enough for a quick cuppa before I start out in the early hours, & hopefully without hammering the battery, …though on reading everyones posts , I’ve decieded i’m going to use the little gas stove :wink: :sunglasses: :smiley:

Kettles are a waste of money and battery life! Camping gas canisters etc are the way to go so a friend told me! :wink:
Always remove the gas from the cooker when finished using it! And store away safely with lids in place! :laughing:

Morrisons had a deal earlier this year on the gas bottles for your stove not sure if it’s still on,but your best bet is go into a Range store as they are cheap enough in there too.

Always used a 24v travel kettle in my employed, self-employed and agency days which covered the vast majority of different make truck and models. Water was boiling after 5 mins or so and never once had any bother with it. A stove might be alright if you have your own truck, but when you’re using different trucks every day you can’t easily cart one about with you. The kettle will easily fit in your bag and still leave room for all your other tackle.