24v Kettle?

Hi guys - just wondering if any of you can recommend a good 24v Kettle?
Getting longer runs now and need to boil some water and want to get something decent.
I drive a new Merc 18t rigid with a couple of 24v and 15amp appliance sockets.
We can’t have gas at all so that isn’t an option.

Thanks

Dave

davidj247:
Getting longer runs now and need to boil some water and want to get something decent.

Thanks

Dave

I use a travel kettle and an inverter, the reason for this is flexibility.

But, yeah, there’s loads of 12v / 24v kettles around, but you’d heat the water as quick by blowing on it lol

Maybe you get what you pay for?

I have an All ride one - never had a problem
most of our drivers use a ‘Big Red’ kettle
i do suggest you use anderson connections instead of ■■■ lighter ones - mine melted due to the current lol
regards
Steve

Just be careful, a lot of the 24 volt kettles draw 15 amps or more and will melt your socket, the wiring or simply set fire to the truck. There are some that draw around 12 or 13 amps but you would be quicker holding a lighter under a pot of water. :smiley:

I have had a few 24 volt kettles, they all seem about the same, last for maybe a year to 18 months, the one thing they all have in common is the plug that comes with them isn’t up to the job and will melt within days, I always cut them off and fit one of these

you can pick them up from most truck supply outlets, this one looks reasonably priced.
I had this Kettlefor a while and it worked quite well, but the switch only lasted about a year, again I had to change the plug when I first got the thing

waynedl:

davidj247:

Thanks

Dave

But, yeah, there’s loads of 12v / 24v kettles around, but you’d heat the water as quick by blowing on it lol

What size inverter have you got? Sounds like a good idea!

Hi that is a copy of a Hella Plug - and it melts the same as a ■■■ lighter one
if you want to use the genuine stuff its alot better

like i said use one of these

cheers
steve

davidj247:

waynedl:

davidj247:

Thanks

Dave

What size inverter have you got? Sounds like a good idea!

If you’re keeping the same truck, then a 600w constant / 1200w max will do, but you can get more power for not much more money. More power though requires wiring direct to batteries, you can’t run that much power through a ciggy lighter / hella

Our trucks all have inverters, but I also carry a 300w constant / 600w max anyway which will just about power the kettle, sometimes ■■■■■■■ a bit, but gets the job done.

Ive just bought this one today, worth a try at that price.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … K:MEWNX:IT

Alcpone:

That’s going to be drawing close to 15 amps so check the rating of your socket.

Alcpone:

12 volt kettles take for ever to boil, also the buttons on the top of those ones don’t last very long

Oh great, I will see how I get on with it.

They are cack! I have one that shows the light is on, but doesn’t heat water at all. Third one I’ve had…Never again.

I’ve got a Waeco 24v kettle from RoadKing, OK it was £35 or so but it will boil 2 good mug fulls of water in about 10 mins. It also has a mounting plate so that it locks in place and doesn’t slide about everywhere. I tend to fill mine half way and flick it on before arriving on site, I’m quite good at stopping just as the light goes out.

I’m on my second, the first lasted 3 years with plenty of use and only expired because of the switch. If I’d use it when stopped the water wouldn’t have got into the switch and corroded it as quick. I looked at the ceaper ones but decided that it would probably be a false economy and not many have the mount.

I’ve just bought a Waeco kettle myself. I’ve had the cheaper ones but seems like the Waeco is built to last. Had to swap a couple of circuit breakers as the current drain on a Waeco is 16 amps.

I have one of these with a camping kettle. Very handy for cooking a meal on too. The cartridges are cheap and last ages.

towsure.com/product/2102-Por … idge_Stove

Sorry just noticed you can’t have gas! :blush:

Still a good little tool though!

paulfromwire:
I’ve just bought a Waeco kettle myself. I’ve had the cheaper ones but seems like the Waeco is built to last. Had to swap a couple of circuit breakers as the current drain on a Waeco is 16 amps.

You have got one of these haven’t you? :wink:

Much easier to get a lad in. unless you are doing one hits to Siberia and cannot use a drivers canteen

Hi

I have a 24v 15amp kettle could i just cut the leed and fit a 15amp fuse and then join it then cut the end off and put a anderson connector on it and maybe a on and off switch and run this safe off the 175amp anderson connector ? with out killing myself