24 Years old, Newly Quailfied

Ladies and gents,
new to this forum so bare with me, I am taking a full HGV package which will take me from my current CAT B licence all the way up to a Class 1. start next month and should be done by November, Just in time for the silly season of Christmas!, all well and good, only problem being is that im 24, (25 in June 17). Will this be detrimental to finding any work, newly qualified and under 25! will many companies take on someone in my situation. Hoping the timing around Christmas time might work in my favour?
Thank you for the time, and loving this website, got some great hints and tips :smiley:

weaven1:
I am taking a full HGV package which will take me from my current CAT B licence all the way up to a Class 1

Is that through a broker or direct with a trainer :question:

Direct, on resettlement with the army so there going to be footing the bill.

Doesn’t get much better than that; all the best with it.

There may be a little resistance in some quarters, mainly because of lack of experience rather than age. But, come the “silly season” , if you’ve got a licence and a pulse, you’ll work!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
If you’ve got a licence and a pulse, you’ll work!

That pretty much sums me up! :open_mouth:

Yes you will get work pal, but do remember that you need to earn your stripes in this game and work your way up…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Ex Army + HGV licence = employment. I wouldn’t have thought you’d have much to worry about. All the very best mucka.

Where are you based? I’m sure one of us can point you in the right direction work wise and good luck

Chers gents,
Ye hoping it shouldn’t be to difficult, just abit worried as most of the job vacancies I’m seeing keeps mentioning experience essential, and the agencies I have contacted already have said a lot of the insurance companies are “■■■■ heads” when it comes to under 25s.

I’m in Salisbury until around February time, then when I’m discharged from the Army moving back to Eastbourne, East Sussex, I would welcome any companies that come to mind around Eastbourne way, I think I have contacted most of them already and have had some positive replies, just want to make sure I leave no stone unturned!
Thanks again.

weaven1:

Why not just send you to DST in leccy, would be a lot cheaper, and have your class one within 2 weeks

tommymanc:

weaven1:

Why not just send you to DST in leccy, would be a lot cheaper, and have your class one within 2 weeks

One thing i always tried to get in my short 7 years, seemed to always be at the wrong place and the wrong time!

I’m 24 and have had a few class 2 agency jobs. full time driving a 7.5t atm. Easy to drive but the multi drop is stressful. If you can land a class 1 job straight off the bat, go for it. You do not want to be doing multi drop in London. its ■■■■■■ :blush: :imp:

Don’t worry about job adverts just apply anyway,
There will always be something on the list you don’t have ,
Job I’m in said 2 years experience essential but I was a new pass and still got the job,
My nephew is 23 been passed 4 years and he’s always got work
Cheers