24 hour rule

Started at 0800 24/04/2014 finished shift at 1600 24/04/2014 so am I right in saying earliest I can start next shift is 0500 25/04/2014 sure im right just can’t get my head round this 24 hour day thing.

Minimum daily rest 9 hr so earliest you can start 0100 25/4/14(that’s if you have a 9 left) if not 11 hr rest start at 0300
Jim

Work and rest must fit in to the 24 hours.
If you do a 15 hour duty ,that becomes a reduced rest of 9 hours.
To get 11 hours off,you can only work 13 hours.
I think the 24 hour rule should be scrapped.
For example,if you could work 15 hours everday,even though the limit is 3 times a week,and every night you 12 or more hours off,the law says it is 9 off.

scally2:
Started at 0800 24/04/2014 finished shift at 1600 24/04/2014 so am I right in saying earliest I can start next shift is 0500 25/04/2014 sure im right just can’t get my head round this 24 hour day thing.

If you started the daily rest period at 16:00 you can start the next shift at 01:00 if you have a reduced daily rest available, or 03:00 if you haven’t.

Thanks lads it was just that I was on a cpc course the trainer said you have to go by thetime you start not the time you finish so the only way I could get my head round it was if I did 12hours finished at 2000 with 12off that would be 0800 correct now if I reduced to 9 hours off that would be 0500 therefore your regardless of what time I finished my reduced daily rest would b 0500 or have I got it completely wrong I used to work it out as you lot do needs simplifying.

scally2:
Thanks lads it was just that I was on a cpc course the trainer said you have to go by thetime you start not the time you finish so the only way I could get my head round it was if I did 12hours finished at 2000 with 12off that would be 0800 correct now if I reduced to 9 hours off that would be 0500 therefore your regardless of what time I finished my reduced daily rest would b 0500 or have I got it completely wrong I used to work it out as you lot do needs simplifying.

It is confusing isn’t it, but fair play for asking. If (and only if) you finish at 8pm, a normal daily rest would take you to 7am (11 hours normal daily rest). A reduced rest period (9 hours) would take you to 5am (as you said). But if the time you finish changes, obviously the time you can start again changes too, so it won’t always be 0500 as I think you said.

A quick summary:
Measure your daily driving limit (9 hours, 10 twice a week) and breaks from the time you start driving.
Measure your daily rest (11 hours, or 9 hours up to three times a week) from when you stop working.
It might be this next one which confused you - A weekly rest becomes due no later than 6 x 24 hour periods from the time you stopped the last one (the time you started work for the week). So if for example I started work 9am on Monday, I must have stopped working for a weekly rest no later than 9am on Sunday.

Hope I haven’t confused you more. My favorite summary is on these two pages:

scally2:

You need to consider both the start time and the finish time when calculating how much daily rest you’ve had.

A daily rest period must be completed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

If you start work at 08:00 Monday you must finish work no later than 21:00 so that you can complete an 11 hour rest period by 08:00 Tuesday (24 hours from the start of the shift).
If you have a reduced daily rest period available you would need to finish no later than 23:00 (23:00 to 08:00 leaves a 9 hour reduced daily rest).

Lets say you start work at 08:00 and finish at 22:00 and then have an 11 hour rest period, only the rest period that fits into the 24 hour period from the start of the shift will count towards the daily rest period, from 22:00 (finish time) to 08:00 (24 hours from the start of shift) is 10 hours, so although you’ve had 11 hours rest only 10 of them fit into the 24 hour period and will count towards the daily rest so it’s a reduced daily rest period of 10 hours.

Some people prefer to think of it as a 13 or 15 hour shift (though personally I don’t think it’s the best way to think of it), if you need a regular daily rest period of 11 hours you can only do a 13 hour shift, this is because a 13 hour shift and an 11 hour rest period equals the 24 hour period from the start of the shift (13 + 11 = 24).
If the shift is over 13 hours you’re having a reduced daily rest period because you won’t be able to complete an 11 hour rest period within the 24 hours from the start of the shift.

1. A daily rest period must be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.
    (Only the part of the rest period that fits into the 24 hours from the start of shift counts towards the daily rest period)
  2. A regular daily rest period is 11 hours rest.
  3. A reduced daily rest period is 9 or more hours but less than 11 hours rest.
  4. A rest period of less than 11 hours is a reduced daily rest period, even if it’s only one minute under the 11 hours.

You need to consider both the start and finish times because:

• The daily rest period must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift.
  • The daily rest period must be at-least 11/9 consecutive hours from the end of the shift.

th2013:

scally2:

It is confusing isn’t it, but fair play for asking. If (and only if) you finish at 8pm, a normal daily rest would take you to 7am (11 hours normal daily rest). A reduced rest period (9 hours) would take you to 5am (as you said). But if the time you finish changes, obviously the time you can start again changes too, so it won’t always be 0500 as I think you said.

A quick summary:
Measure your daily driving limit (9 hours, 10 twice a week) and breaks from the time you start driving.
Measure your daily rest (11 hours, or 9 hours up to three times a week) from when you stop working.
It might be this next one which confused you - A weekly rest becomes due no later than 6 x 24 hour periods from the time you stopped the last one (the time you started work for the week). So if for example I started work 9am on Monday, I must have stopped working for a weekly rest no later than 9am on Sunday.

Hope I haven’t confused you more. My favorite summary is on these two pages:
Driving Time Regulation | Transports Friend
Driver Rest & Break Periods (Daily & Weekly) | Transports Friend

This would mean that anyone sent home after say even 15 minutes driving at the beginning of a day mid week, in order to cover nightshift sickness, would have to be very careful if that changeover break was even 1 minute short of 24 hours.

Right that makes more sense I thought it seemed a bit silly since I finished so early yesterday.

cav551:

th2013:
A weekly rest becomes due no later than 6 x 24 hour periods from the time you stopped the last one (the time you started work for the week).

This would mean that anyone sent home after say even 15 minutes driving at the beginning of a day mid week, in order to cover nightshift sickness, would have to be very careful if that changeover break was even 1 minute short of 24 hours.

It doesn’t matter how long the rest period is as long as the daily rest requirements are met, the six periods of 24 hours equates to 144 consecutive hours from the end of the previous weekly rest period.

tachograph:
You need to consider both the start time and the finish time when calculating how much daily rest you’ve had.

Thanks for explaining that. I have the luxury that I would hardly ever do more than a 12 hour day (or shift) so hadn’t needed to think too much about the 24 hour daily rule.

It’s about time this was all simplified to something sensible and more readily understandable, like the UK domestic regs!

th2013:
A quick summary:
Measure your daily rest (11 hours, or 9 hours up to three times a week) from when you stop working…

Three times between weekly rest periods, you could do six in a week with a midweek weekly rest period.

Reduce Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday off and the reduce Friday, Saturday and Sunday so six reduced daily rest periods in one week. You wouldn’t then have any reduced periods until completing your next weekly rest.

Should be a rule you can’t do 15 hour shifts unless your a tramper doesn’t give you much time for rest especially if you live 40 or 50 minutes from work.But on the other hand it does give you that extra time if you need to get home.

scally2:
Should be a rule you can’t do 15 hour shifts unless your a tramper doesn’t give you much time for rest especially if you live 40 or 50 minutes from work.But on the other hand it does give you that extra time if you need to get home.

That is assuming the start time is the same each day

A driver could do a 15 hour shift and have well over 9 hours off if they wanted to but only the first 9 would count for the regs

scally2:

Should be a rule that everyone does 12 on 12 off, regardless of what work you are doing! trying to get a rule in for work shy day workers to pile the work on to trampers isn’t on either mate :smiling_imp:

weeto:

scally2:

Should be a rule that everyone does 12 on 12 off, regardless of what work you are doing! trying to get a rule in for work shy day workers to pile the work on to trampers isn’t on either mate :smiling_imp:

I don’t think he’s trying to put more work on trampers, most drivers on a night out seem happy to have a short rest then get on their way, 12 on 12 off would mean drivers having a lot more nights out.

Personally I think the 15 hour spread-over three times between weekly rest periods is fine, but I think the law should say it has to be followed by a daily rest period of at-least 11 hours and preferably 12.

scally2:

what would happen if getting back to the yard would take you to 14 hours?