24-12v

as im only in a 7.5ton to start, will everything be 12v or will i need to buy a 24-12v converter ■■

If you want to use a standard sat-nav it will be O.K You should start the engine before plugging any thing in and remove it while the engine is running.

well i want to use my satnav and also wan to use my in car phone charger.
will this item be any good to buy?

ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-3-WAY-TRU … 2c709cf459

like will i be able to plug that into a lorry cigarette lighter and be able to use 24v or 12v products in it?

Don’t panic there is a ciggy lighter that is 12v if you want to run a phone charger and the sat nav then buy a ciggy 1-2 splitter don’t worry about 24v it will never be an issue in your time-give e-bay a rest go to the £ shop for the splitter. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

As far as i can tell most trucks have a 24v and a 12v system .the ‘ciggie’ output is a stepped down 24-12v so will charge and run phones/sat navs with no problems .I use a splitter and run my phone and sat nav from the same socket with no problems .The only thing you have to remember is that when it comes to power inverters for laptop charging or running a small tv you must get a 24v one not a 12v even though it will be plugged into the same output

alamcculloch:
If you want to use a standard sat-nav it will be O.K You should start the engine before plugging any thing in and remove it while the engine is running.

Silly question…why??

stevo101:

alamcculloch:

Silly question…why??

I was wondering that too ,i would have thought that removing when the engine is running is increasing the risk of a power surge into the phone or sat nav

martyh:
As far as i can tell most trucks have a 24v and a 12v system .the ‘ciggie’ output is a stepped down 24-12v so will charge and run phones/sat navs with no problems .I use a splitter and run my phone and sat nav from the same socket with no problems .The only thing you have to remember is that when it comes to power inverters for laptop charging or running a small tv you must get a 24v one not a 12v even though it will be plugged into the same output

■■?

Never take it that a ciggy socket is 12v in a truck, man’s are 24v as I found out to the demise of a 12v inverter lol. As for sat navs and mobile chargers they are (mostly) 12/24v best to check the plug as they usually have it on a sticker, if your using a snooper or tomtom they are 12/24. If your not sure about the plug socket im sure one of the fitters will know or failing that have a look in the hand book and finally just put a voltage tester on it.

On a side note, most in car chargers have a voltage range printed on the side. For example my in car phone charger has from 12v-24v so can be used in either socket. Even so mine goes in the 12v socket (just because its easier in the cab).

Stick to better brands too. Nokia chargers seem to be dual voltage when they supply them. My office phone is a Nokia N96 which has never had an issue with the charger. My private mobile is a Nokia lumia 820 which didn’t have one. I bought one locally and it was fine for 6 months. 2 weeks ago it blew a fuse so i replaced it and that blew. I put a 3amp fuse in and smoke started coming out of it. My ebay purchased Nokia dual voltage charger arrived yesterday

Most chargers have a voltage dependent resistor fitted which automaticaly reduces current flow to give a constant out put voltage (usually 5 volts).Same as a lot of LED lights they will operate on any system between 9 and 24 volt as they produce a constant 5 volts no matter what the input voltage.

Most chargers and sat nav power supplies these days are switched mode power supplies, therefore the input voltage can usually be anything from around 10 volts to 30, unfortunately the same does not go for inverters, inverters draw far too much current to be drawn through switched mode circuitry, do not try to run a 12 volt inverter through a 24 volt socket, you’ll fry it, a 24 volt inverter powered from a 12 volt socket will not give you the output needed for your equipment, but will attempt to draw excessive current to make up for the insufficient voltage, resulting in blown fuses or if the socket is not properly fused, smoke!!!