21st Century slaves?

I’m very much in favour of getting people working rather than living exclusively on benefits but this just wrong. Big business benefiting as usual…no doubt it would have pleased Maggie.

guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ … employment

Well i suppose you could say there getting paid by the goverment in benifits so the goverments asking if you coud do some work experience maybe get a name for your self with a potential employer. Not saying its right or wrong but an option. I think people should do something for there dole money anyway.

Could be a way of Teaching young folk that money does’nt come for free but has to be earned. :open_mouth: Perhaps they shoulld do this for all the long term unemployed. :bulb:

Not often i look at the Guardian, yuck. :unamused:

By the look of these profits reports all the main Supermarkets can afford to pay all those that work for them. So why as a taxpayer should I have to pay for them to take on so called work experience kids. I’m old enough to remember the YTS scheme and what a con that was. Sure get them doing something, if only to get the disipline of getting out of bed in the morning and turing up for work. but let it be a charity or something.

muckles:
http://thewealthnews.com/uk-supermarket-morrisons-sees-profit-increase-on-the-back-of-record-customer-numbers/0674285

Sainsbury's annual profits rise by 12.8% - BBC News

Tesco profits grow but UK sales subdued - BBC News

By the look of these profits reports all the main Supermarkets can afford to pay all those that work for them. So why as a taxpayer should I have to pay for them to take on so called work experience kids. I’m old enough to remember the YTS scheme and what a con that was. Sure get them doing something, if only to get the disipline of getting out of bed in the morning and turing up for work. but let it be a charity or something.

YTS scheme? I’m still on it! :open_mouth:

pavaroti:
Well i suppose you could say there getting paid by the goverment in benifits so the goverments asking if you coud do some work experience maybe get a name for your self with a potential employer. Not saying its right or wrong but an option. I think people should do something for there dole money anyway.
Could be a way of Teaching young folk that money does’nt come for free but has to be earned. :open_mouth: Perhaps they shoulld do this for all the long term unemployed. :bulb:

I agree.
We all need the “work ethic” and a bit of self discipline, even if not in paid work.
The culture of not needing to try because the state will look after you has done no-one any good.
If people are receiving money from the state, I can see no wrong in the state asking for something in return.
Whether it should be to work for a commercial organisation is another matter, but it’s probably the cheapest option for the government, who would otherwise have to set up some kind of supervision, costing even more money.

Like pavaroti says, no one in the world of work would pay anyone to do nothing.
(Not knowingly anyway :slight_smile: ).

Regards,
Nick.

u nailed it ncooper , state might have 2 pay 4 supervision ! goes with tv news announcement , all 2 often these days , TESCO (for example only !)are creating 5000 new jobs, does not say, but part time , under the hours nec. 4 the co 2 pay tax.so the employees get tax credits (perhaps) there is something wrong when 5000 part time jobs is newsworthy in the 6th wealthiest nation in Europe ! BUT THEN I AM AN OLD GEEZER so ,(pulls up chair , lights pipe…) alternative is what ?unemployed work 4 “benifits” so co"s reduce employment overall ? classic example , THAT ■■■■■■ ALEX SALMOND, orders a new bridge and MOST OF STEEL A INT COMING / BEING MANUF. in britain , 4 christsakes!!! thou benifits v armaments well, new jet £100 MILLION ,thats one jet " sorry 2 rant but the BENIFIT SCROUNGERS DAILY MAIL mindset is wearing this guy out but its a forum ,we all have opinions…

guardian.co.uk/business/2012 … rk-schemes

Congratulations go to those companies who have adopted a more enlightened attitude. You should encourage them by giving them more of your business and boycott the others.