20mph speed limit Wales

I’m on holiday in Cyprus at the moment, it appears nobody adheres to the speed limits here.

I’m trying to, but 30kph is just under 20mph and its in all the towns and is very slow, I do like the speed camera vans, I’ve seen one so far and they put out warning signs before you get to the van, which seems odd if they want to catch people speeding!!!

So, i reckon its not treated like another tax out here, like in the UK!!

What a change of attitude. Just been on a owners club forum where they are so anti 20mph, but here reflects my attitude and my post on there.
The only speed limit that annoys me is a on the A36 through Salisbury when it goes up then down again after a few hundred yards.

the maoster:
I don’t have a problem with this personally. Countless studies have shown the huge difference in injuries caused to a pedestrian hit by a vehicle travelling at 30mph as opposed to one travelling at 20mph.

Sure I like speed as much as the next person, but there’s a time and a place. Anywhere children may be playing isn’t one of them.

What type of sane parent sends their children out to play on A and B classified through routes ?.
In general most buses totally ignore the numerous 20 mph limits imposed on roads like A243 and A312.
Also for the umpteenth time the M25 doesn’t denote London.
While Tory controlled Kent and Surrey County Council’s are slashing speed limits everywhere including previously NSL routes in addition to planning an even worse blanket 20 mph crusade than even the Welsh have done.

Sploom:
One thing I realised about London.Once you are inside the m25,28mph to 35mph seems to be enough,even on a 50 mph limit,and all the traffic that passes you,you catch them up at the next set of lights

Be careful what you wish for.The resulting non viability of through routes within so called ‘Greater London’ using laughable speed limits and weaponised traffic signal phasing just forces more traffic onto the M25.Bringing that to a standstill.Which then creates total gridlock caused by motorway traffic trying to divert back onto the old now unfit for purpose historic routes like A232, A312, A308, A243, A240 etc. etc All plagued by weaponised speed limits and traffic light sequences.

the maoster:
Lol. Everyone knows you’re a ■■■■ Conor, no need to keep highlighting the fact.

That’s a bit harsh on dicks to be fair. :smiley:

This the, sort of, official take on enforcement from “Go safe”, basically the speed van people :-

The partnership between the four police forces, 22 councils and government in Wales has enforced 20mph limits for over a decade.

GoSafe says there will be no change in the amount of enforcement they provide but there will be an increase in roadside education.

The Welsh Government has provided GoSafe with an additional £600,000 in funding specifically for 20mph roadside engagement and the partnership will see a £244,500 boost in annual funding next year.

The GoSafe website says they will work with partners to “promote the change in driver behaviour” while the most dangerous drivers will face prosecution.

Where there is evidence of “low compliance”, they will consider roadside education operations, speed calming measures or continued mobile enforcement.

GoSafe will work with local authorities to, where necessary, adjust fixed camera schemes. They note that roadside cameras are positioned where collision risks are highest.

“GoSafe enforce in the right place, at the right time, for the right reason,” its website reads. “Enforcement locations are chosen based on collision data and safety concerns at each location.”

If you witness careless or dangerous driving, you can submit images or video to Operation SNAP here.

Goff118:
Hope you had a nice holiday here Dozy!

Contrary to what the Tories are saying, it’s not a blanket 20mph limit. Lots of 30mph zones will remain 30mph. It just looks to be residential areas that will now be 20mph as a default.

They’ve trialled it on the main road I use every day for work for 2 years, and not many people have stuck to it. It’ll be interesting to see how that changes tomorrow now that it has come into law officially. It’ll also be interesting to see how long it takes for the speed camera vans to set up in the 20mph zones.

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

We did thankyou , brought back memories of being a kid & spending my days on Tenby / saundersfoot beach , lovely place & as the wife said it’s it lovely to have people say hello , good morning , so friendly, 4!nights went to quick

The Welsh Conservatives seem to be dumber than Welsh Labour.
gbnews.com/lifestyle/drivers … nges-wales

It’s actually 10%+2 is the threshold at which the law will prosecute sometimes possibly less.
Which means you’re nicked at 24 mph not 26.
Even if you were ‘allowed’ the supposed 10%+2 that would still only be 24 mph and nicked for 25mph.There are already examples in Richmond borough of prosecutions for travelling at and below the 25 mph mark which means the cameras are set at 24mph.

Good one…

lancpudn. :smiley:

Wales is now the only place where cyclists have to give 1.5m gap as they overtake cars

dozy , I had a holiday in Wales and found the Welsh to be friendly, as you said you get greeted, if you liked Tenby, you would like Aberystwyth, I felt so relaxed there, but the sea was absolutely freezing, nice people,a good choice of restaurants.

It’s first come first served if you park at the Premier Inn, small charges apply, non guests can park there, brilliant all you can eat breakfast and evening meal package deal, or park for free on North Road.

I can also recommend the Marine Hotel, good breakfast and evening meals, free car park but give them your car registration on arrival, not a big car park at the rear.

As regards the 20 mph limit and those who are dead against it,no one has said about how much extra time it has added to the journey,because it’s probably minimal

Sploom:
As regards the 20 mph limit and those who are dead against it,no one has said about how much extra time it has added to the journey,because it’s probably minimal

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66867280

This guy has, but I’m not sure that the maths tally up with his idea that changing the limit from 20mph to 30mph has meant his day has gone on 90 minutes longer than it usually does.

Stand by for the looming bandwagon when your local council realises how lucrative this scam… (sorry safety campaign) can be.

You can just hear the guy chairing the council meeting…"■■■■ the road safety guys, just look how much money we can make out of this ‘’ …KERCHHHING ‘’ :sunglasses:

Coming to your home city very soon. :bulb:

kentonline.co.uk/faversham/ … ne-293839/

robroy:
Stand by for the looming bandwagon when your local council realises how lucrative this scam… (sorry safety campaign) can be.

You can just hear the guy chairing the council meeting…"[zb] the road safety guys, just look how much money we can make out of this ‘’ …KERCHHHING ‘’ :sunglasses:

Coming to your home city very soon. :bulb:

kentonline.co.uk/faversham/ … ne-293839/

It’s inevitable…

They’ve dropped a lot of A roads from 60 to 50. Sections of m’way are 60 for clean air purposes blah blah. It’ll be a blanket 20 where it used to be 30.

For a while, it’ll be ker-ching until everyone gets used to it.

yourhavingalarf:
For a while, it’ll be ker-ching until everyone gets used to it.

Yeah it will be, but by the time that time comes think of the revenue raised the length and breadth of the country.

Then to justify it and convince the people of it’s motive, their next step is that they go on to massage and manipulate the stats on rta.s with smoke and mirrors to announce… ''How successful this ‘safety campaign has been’ …but at same time avoid stating how many million has been generated up and down the UK.
Mission accomplished,.every body is happy, the gullible have been convinced,.and the councils are much richer,.and popular for ‘the reduction of accidents’ that they claim.
Brilliant. :sunglasses:

Goff118:

Sploom:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66867280

This guy has, but I’m not sure that the maths tally up with his idea that changing the limit from 20mph to 30mph has meant his day has gone on 90 minutes longer than it usually does.

Having to do a lot of running through and around the London Boroughs could easily mean journey times extended by more than 90 minutes by the combination of 20 mph limits and traffic lights.
I’d guess that 90 minutes extra for same around Wales is a conservative estimate.

Whenever I go through a 20mph zone, I set the limiter at 20, keeps me at 20 unless I’m going down hill!!

And when driving around Tata Port Talbot, I set cruise at 20mph, they have speed cameras and do check, if you want to get banned just blast around the site!!!

Stephenjp:
Whenever I go through a 20mph zone, I set the limiter at 20, keeps me at 20 unless I’m going down hill!!

And when driving around Tata Port Talbot, I set cruise at 20mph, they have speed cameras and do check, if you want to get banned just blast around the site!!!

Yep I do the same, especually in M.way roadworks.
Cruise control.can and has saved me getting 3 points, and I’m never in a hurry anyhow tbh.