2019 Driver shortage

switchlogic:
And it’s no bad thing anyway. I really enjoy supermarket store deliveries, always have

As switch says himself don’t take anything he says at face value.
I’m not biting.
Suffice to say he obviously drove a lot of needless foreign miles for someone who would have preferred to be doing local uk supermarket distribution.
But that statement might be of great interest to the DWP in allocating him ‘suitable employment’ in a supermarket warehouse and stacking shelves’ if he doesn’t get his licence back from DVLA.
They don’t know the meaning of don’t take it at face value.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
And it’s no bad thing anyway. I really enjoy supermarket store deliveries, always have

As switch says himself don’t take anything he says at face value.
I’m not biting.
Suffice to say he obviously drove a lot of needless foreign miles for someone who would have preferred to be doing local uk supermarket distribution.
But that statement might be of great interest to the DWP in allocating him ‘suitable employment’ in a supermarket warehouse and stacking shelves’ if he doesn’t get his licence back from DVLA.
They don’t know the meaning of don’t take it at face value.

Your main problem is you simply can’t conceive of the concept of liking several different things. Maybe it’s because you had a dream that you never followed so the ■■■■ to do European work overrides everything else. Many of followed our dreams therefore we can enjoy other things. I’ve done many different jobs, enjoyed them all. When I can drive again I’ll probably go back to the milk tankers because it suits and I enjoy my home life these days. You see everything through your own twisted lens and your recent posts have been more unhinged than ever. And they make it super clear you’ve been out of the industry decades.

Carryfast:

A condition of Universal Credit is that I look for work to fill the gap. I’ve applied for 3 shop jobs, 2 have been unsuccessful and one is outstanding. Not that many around in this super rural area, if I lived in a large town or city I’d likely be working now. They also accept volunteering and I have some with a local National Trust property lined up and talking to Age Concern about being a ‘Digital Champion’. Not all of us can get away with decades on the skive like you.

switchlogic:
A condition of Universal Credit is that I look for work

Who was it on here who argued that long term Incapacity Benefit/ESA only applies effectively if someone is paralysed from the neck down by the standards of the test.
That jobsearch requirement is a lot easier depending on showing evidence of serious spinal injury/problems.
Doesn’t bother me I signed off it in May.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
A condition of Universal Credit is that I look for work

Who was it on here who argued that long term Incapacity Benefit/ESA only applies effectively if someone is paralysed from the neck down by the standards of the test.
That jobsearch requirement is a lot easier depending on showing evidence of serious spinal injury/problems.
Doesn’t bother me I signed off it in May.

No idea. Just informing you of my situation and shooting down your nonsense comment in the process. I’m not on sickness benefit any more. Some of us recover and get better

switchlogic:
I’m not on sickness benefit any more.

As I said have to meet the conditions of the ‘all work test’ to claim incapacity.
I was turned down for industrial injuries benefit though.
That’s what happens when anyone breaks their back during a period of handballing artic loads put to work as a warehouse labourer.
They have to prove that lifting a specific item did it to be eligible for industrial injuries.Which is a bit difficult when it’s the result of ■■■■■■■■■■ loads over time and symptoms take time to develop and diagnosis takes more time.
( I’m not writing this for your information or argument ).
If the industry doesn’t want a ‘driver shortage’ it helps not to break the backs of the drivers it has by using them as warehouse labourers.

Indeed but as you’ve been told numerous times the fact that you did it twenty years ago doesn’t mean everyone does it now. It’s still fairly rare for drivers to even go in the warehouse in most places I’ve experienced. You interact with load at stores on store deliveries but never load yourself. At least with Tesco/Sainsbury’s/M&S Gist etc

Conor:
You can pick any year over the last 20+ years and find headlines about a driver shortage.

But the difference is that those years haven’t been accompanied by a 30-50% increase in pay rates.

Harry Monk:

Conor:
You can pick any year over the last 20+ years and find headlines about a driver shortage.

But the difference is that those years haven’t been accompanied by a 30-50% increase in pay rates.

30% more to do two job roles is a great deal …for the boss.‘‘Willingness to take on warehouse tasks alongside driving responsibilities’’ defeats the object of being a driver.

totaljobs.com/job/hgv-class- … ob94604128

switchlogic:
It’s still fairly rare for drivers to even go in the warehouse

It doesn’t take much imagination to make the link between Harry’s ‘30-50%’ ‘wage increases’ v utilising drivers for ‘other duties’ during what could easily be 30-50% of a shift being paid to sit around sleeping or watching the tele on POA.Or driving only being needed 1 or 2 days a week or 1 week in three.
There are an increasing amount of these types of jobs.Not surprising in an environment of reduced mileages needed to be driven.It doesn’t need Brexit to set off the alarm bells.
If it was me my enquiry would go along the lines of just pay me for the obviously limited driving work and hire a warehouse operative or shove it.If I was Polish I’d be out of here and don’t look back.

glosjobs.co.uk/driving-jobs- … ve-487835/

bluetownonline.co.uk/jobs/dr … operative/

Carryfast:
It doesn’t take much imagination to make the link between…….

You should have typed “it doesn’t take much of an imagination…”, because this drum you keep banging exists purely in yours. The job you describe bears little or no relation to the job that I DO, and countless others here do day in day out. Despite being corrected ad infinitum by actual real lorry drivers you still persist with this fantasy.

Give it a rest FFS! Merely parroting the same garbage repeatedly will not make it true.

the maoster:
The job you describe bears little or no relation to the job that I DO

So far.
Driver ‘shortage’ refers to ‘the jobs’ which no one is ‘doing’ ( or wants to do ) not the job that you are obviously ‘doing’.
Just read the ads I didn’t write them.The East Euros at least can obviously read the writing on the wall.You can bet if some operators are finding a way to occupy drivers with other duties, instead of paying them to sit around on POA watching the tele, many others will follow.
Now I’ll give the subject a rest.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
It’s still fairly rare for drivers to even go in the warehouse

It doesn’t take much imagination to make the link

It does for those of us with recent experience of working in these places. It’s just another of your fantasy lands.

the maoster:

Carryfast:

You should have typed “it doesn’t take much of an imagination…”, because this drum you keep banging exists purely in yours. The job you describe bears little or no relation to the job that I DO, and countless others here do day in day out. Despite being corrected ad infinitum by actual real lorry drivers you still persist with this fantasy.

Give it a rest FFS! Merely parroting the same garbage repeatedly will not make it true.

I replied before reading this. :smiley: BUT BUT BUT he provided links to two expired job adverts! Conclusive proof!

the maoster:

Carryfast:

But he thinks that searching out the extreme examples of jobs which will involve more than just being a driver will prove his point that “ALL” jobs are like this.

In this instance one of them is for an events company so anyone with half a brain cell knows you’ll be part of the team doing a bit of everything in that role. Although we all know he hasn’t got half a brain cell and is just a failed lorry driver.

Here’s my proof. Via agency I’ve worked as a driver at these RDCs-

Tesco- Magor, Avonmouth, Harlow (closed now I imagine), Welham Green, West Thurrock

Sainsbury’s- Waltham Point, Elstree, Hatfield,

Iceland- Enfield & Swindon

Gist/M&S- Hemel Hempstead

Arla- Oakthorpe & Hatfield Peverel

McDonalads- Hemel Hempstead & Heywood

That I can remember And delivered to a great many more including all the major retailers here and many abroad and you know one thing common to them all outside Lidl & Aldi? Never even been in 90% of the warehouses let alone to work, normally just having to walk through them. If CF worked some time in past 20 years he’d know drivers going into warehouses for any reason let alone to work in vast majority of places is a big no no

Tesco here. You don’t go in the warehouse. Even if I am only 100kg overloaded on the rear axle I am not allowed to put it on the bay and remove a single cage myself. I have to wait around for the best part of an hour for some warehouse bod to do it.

adam277:
Tesco here. You don’t go in the warehouse. Even if I am only 100kg overloaded on the rear axle I am not allowed to put it on the bay and remove a single cage myself. I have to wait around for the best part of an hour for some warehouse bod to do it.

Greggs here. I can go in the warehouse, provided I ■■■■ about putting on a hairnet and washing my hands. But it’s much easier shouting “Every time you open that door and the light goes red I’m going to stop doing whatever I’m doing. So come back in ten minutes and if the suzie lock key is on the hook do whatever you like, because by that point I no longer care.” up through the bay.

Carryfast:

the maoster:
The job you describe bears little or no relation to the job that I DO

So far.
Driver ‘shortage’ refers to ‘the jobs’ which no one is ‘doing’ ( or wants to do ) not the job that you are obviously ‘doing’.
Just read the ads I didn’t write them.The East Euros at least can obviously read the writing on the wall.You can bet if some operators are finding a way to occupy drivers with other duties, instead of paying them to sit around on POA watching the tele, many others will follow.
Now I’ll give the subject a rest.

2 expired job ads doesn’t an argument make.

switchlogic:

Being moaned at by those on your side of the ‘argument’ , for arguing with you about the reasons for driver shortages, on a topic about driver shortages, won’t allow it even if it did.

‘Expired’ as in probably withdrawn for lack of interest by any applicants with any sense and two more employers then whining and ■■■■■■■■ about a ‘driver shortage’.
Strange how you and your allies didn’t seem to have a go about these two similar posts.Only mine.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169968#p2781137

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169889#p2781019

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Being moaned at by those on your side of the ‘argument’ , for arguing with you about the reasons for driver shortages, on a topic about driver shortages, won’t allow it even if it did.

‘Expired’ as in probably withdrawn for lack of interest by any applicants with any sense and two more employers then whining and ■■■■■■■■ about a ‘driver shortage’.
Strange how you and your allies didn’t seem to have a go about these two similar posts.Only mine.

Its only an argument for you. Me and others a simply stating facts we learned first hand.

Carryfast:
[

I must have missed where I ‘had a go’ then. Or is your victim mentality kicking in?

Love the idea of allies though, even tho it’s another hilarious nonsense from you.

Allies you say- :smiley: trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=169922