2015 era Volvo Trucks - Handbrake Switch is Dangerous!

I dunno the specifics of this truck. But I was driving a Volvo for the 2nd time ever as a long time (5 years+) agency driver. They have managed to allude me.
Drove one last night and not impressed. Primary the handbrake “Toggle Switch” - been a few times I pull it and it doesn’t engage! Can’t see it in the dark, can’t physically check its on!
Practically every other truck as a big purposeful lever! You know it’s engaged, you feel it engage! Also, easily find it in the dark.

Always held Volvo in high regard, but a bit disappointed here.

It should have a light which comes on when applied.
I know on some you really have to pull the leaver down.

Does it automatically come on when the door is opened with the engine running?

Daani:
It should have a light which comes on when applied.
I know on some you really have to pull the leaver down.

Does it automatically come on when the door is opened with the engine running?

Didn’t realise it auto applied. I’ll test it out if I get a chance.

Should be a red park brake symbol on the dash the same as your car when it’s on.

Shellshocker:
Practically every other truck as a big purposeful lever! You know it’s engaged, you feel it engage!

I don’t like electronic handbrakes either, for this very reason.

This is what I drive, can’t say I’ve ever had an issue, I was sceptical when they 1st came out but don’t have an issue.

Previous job we had an FM and I tended to reverse with the door open as the window dropped height, so you just need to select reverse before opening the door otherwise it wouldn’t auto release, bit annoying to you got into the habit

I drive a 65 plate V4 with said electronic handbrake and don’t have any problems with it. Pull and hold for about 2 seconds, and the red light will come on at the bottom of the toggle to say it is applied. When setting off, press the throttle gently, and it will disengage after about a second, and away you go.

However there are times when you will have to manually disengage it, like a few seconds after engaging it, and then you decide to go. They don’t seem to like a quick change of mind, but it will tell you on the dash to manually do it.

The Renault system is the same. (Wonder where they got that from?)

Ken.