2005 Volvo FM No Electric Windows & Radio

Hi,
I have a Volvo FM that the radio wont turn on(can see some of the letters on the display but hardly) and the electric windows wont work.
No blow fuses.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Nick

Next time you go to take it out VOR it,you will end up nutty as a fruit cake sitting there talking to your self, at least the window wont open, no one will be able to hear what your saying

still cant figure it out, doing my head in.
Any suggestions?

the radio will probably have a small bulb to illuminate the display… it could possibly be replaced by a competent auto electrician…

the windows is a completely separate problem…
a multimeter would be handy to test for any current …
have you tried the window switches on the passenger door ?

If the window wont open, VOR it… as for the radio, it may be shagged…so report it.

The computer needs rebooting, try disconnecting the batteries and reconnecting them, it will take a few minutes to actually reboot. My truck actually has a reboot switch on the side of the monitor.

Window problem possibly a failed relay?

Harry Monk:

Is it windows 10 os. :smiley:

biggriffin:

Harry Monk:

:smiley: On a serious note. Aren’t the windows supposed to open and close properly for the mot?

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies, i forgot to mention that radio just started working after i was playing with the relays and fuses.
A assume a MOT is a yearly check? in Australia we only have an inspection when the vehicle is sold, no other inspections.

Any idea which relay it is?
Cheers,
Nick

bowers340:

No, somebody might, but the standard method for identifying a duff relay is to randomly swap relays about, two at a time, until the broken thing starts working and something else stops working.

peterm:

biggriffin:

Harry Monk:

:smiley: On a serious note. Aren’t the windows supposed to open and close properly for the mot?

Why?

Wheel Nut:
Why?

Don’t think it would as I think this is the only reference to windows :-

Reasons For Failure

1. A windscreen or window:
    a. so insecure that it is likely to fall out.
    b. with damage which presents a danger to occupants or to
    other road users.
  2. Damage or obstruction of a side window which impairs the
    driver’s view through a mandatory mirror

BUT, it would be handy if it worked :-

So that you can adjust your mirrors ? (even if you have electric it might be the next relay to fail :laughing: )

So that you can stick your head out and check for miniature cyclists / kittens hiding next to your wheel ?

So that you can let some air in when the air con fails.

So that you can look down when talking to gatehouse people :laughing: (and not have to struggle out when you can only half open the door)

I am sure there are others

“in Australia we only have an inspection when the vehicle is sold, no other inspections.” Interesting idea :open_mouth:

bowers340:
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies, i forgot to mention that radio just started working after i was playing with the relays and fuses.
A assume a MOT is a yearly check? in Australia we only have an inspection when the vehicle is sold, no other inspections.

Cheers,
Nick

Depends on what state you’re in and what type of vehicle. Qld: Buses go every 6 months, not too sure about trucks nowadays. Cars, as you said, no test unless selling to someone other than a car dealer or wrecker. NSW, I’m pretty sure (correct me if I’m wrong) that cars go every year. No idea on other states. It feels like different countries sometimes.

bowers340:
Hi All,

Cheers,
Nick

you obviously do not live in NSW, bikes,cars and trucks all have tests in this state. ie BLue slips, if it is outside of 3 months if not a pink slip, the same as a UK MOT, trucks still go in for an annual check with the RMS here in NSW, I assume you are in QLD.

An 05 Volvo will have a module that operates the windows, they usually go on a mad one and the passenger window opens by itself and stays down. Take out the panel containing the window switches, check that they’re still plugged in first, 13yrs of the door being slammed shut could have loosened the plug and you’ll kick yourself if its something that simple.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, it is all plugged in at the door. i figured out today that there is no power to either side of the fuse.