2003 Foden Alpha

I am looking at getting a second hand unit for taking a few of our toys to shows. Our annual milage will be in the region of 3k-4k miles but we do need to be able to maintain it ourself in the workshop where we maintain our 2 60’s Fodens.

Does anyone know if they have any main reliability issues that would be out of our ability to repair? (Mainly electrical issues I am thinking).

Any feedback greatfully received!

If it’s not going to do much Milage I’d possibly avoide a Alpha 2 as disc brakes and standing around don’t always go together .Alpha 1 drum brakes be better .

Parts wise ,it is basically DAF CF 85, the only main difference is the engine ,so parts are plentiful ,Downside it will have all the wiring issues that the DAF has

EC has to be good choice

There is a firm in the East End of London that used to buy all the ex BOC motors & sell them on, they are still running some ex BOC EC’s now,

norb:
Parts wise ,it is basically DAF CF 85, the only main difference is the engine ,so parts are plentiful ,Downside it will have all the wiring issues that the DAF has

Thanks. What kind of wiring issues?

Toddy2:
EC has to be good choice

There is a firm in the East End of London that used to buy all the ex BOC motors & sell them on, they are still running some ex BOC EC’s now,

I did fancy an EC Olympic - trouble is they seem to be just out of my price range and all seem to be a long way from home (■■■■■■■■■

If it is just for taking vehicles to shows then best to avoid any thing with any electronics, so plastic cab and pre Celect ■■■■■■■■

cav551:
If it is just for taking vehicles to shows then best to avoid any thing with any electronics, so plastic cab and pre Celect ■■■■■■■■

I’d have to disagree on this ,as it’s 21 years since the electric engine came out ,the knowledgable mechanical ■■■■■■■ men are getting thin on the ground ,but there are plenty of people with laptops and ■■■■■■■ celect knowledge ,and really they don’t give any trouble .

Where the cab tilts and the loom flexes is common failure area…A problem can be too many cable ties ,as in pipes tied then another 3 or 4 looms tied separately on top ,so you end up with the square lock rubbing through.it doesn’t help that the outer ■■■■■■ goes brittle and rubs on the metal guide

j_turner023:

norb:

Toddy2:
EC has to be good choice

I did fancy an EC Olympic - trouble is they seem to be just out of my price range and all seem to be a long way from home (■■■■■■■■■

Amazing isn’t it - I was looking for one for months, none around my area, so I have just recently bought one in Scotland & drove it back to Essex - probably came past your door !!!

your looking at something over 10 years old any electrical issues should of been sorted on it anything else is going to be age related and your going to get that on anything you are going to get at that age ive got one not much newer and it works hard its been alright for what I gave for it there cheap to buy and they still make a lot of the parts unlike the older erfs

truckcentral.me/vehicle/63

theres a lot of this type for sale, this one is quite smart.
trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … /model/ecx

kindle530:
Account Suspended

theres a lot of this type for sale, this one is quite smart.
trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … /model/ecx

I’d seen this one actually and would be perfect, unfortunately the vat makes it too expensive for me. Because it’s for personal use I can’t claim it back :frowning:

DONT buy a ECX ,not even if it’s free .