20 mph though all towns........?

I have heard it all now, what we ought to be doing is teaching people how to cross a road… :imp: :imp: :imp:

20mph blanket is stupid… but there are areas where its not,

residential roads ie; Parked cars both sides, not enough room to get 2 cars through without one stopping.

near all schools.

in town centre/shopping districts ie; shops both sides of road more than 1 road ajoining.

I’d be tempted to agree, Niall, but you and I both know it wouldn’t stop there.

According to the report I heard on Radio 2 today, although road deaths are falling, the rate of decline has flattened out. In other words, we need yet more rules, regulations and cameras (on every street corner according to Jeremy Vine) to bring them down still further. Otherwise the people who earn their living by thinking up this twaddle will be out of a job; and I strongly suspect that they’re more concerned about that than they are about road safety.

Residential streets will only become substantially safer when pedestrians and cyclists(along with feckless parents) are educated into using roads in the same responsible manner as us drivers are supposed to; if they can be fined for dropping a cigarette end they can be fined for crossing the road in the wrong place.

Jaywalking should become as serious an offence as jumping a red light in a car, it’s potentially just as lethal.

20 mph limits already abound around schools, and like you I’m in favour of this IN SCHOOL TIME not 24/7 as it would end up no doubt.

:smiley: Hourly paid so bring it on :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

We (in Liverpool) already have quite a few 20mph areas.

There are more surveillance cameras of various sorts in this country than the rest of Europe put together… :imp: Enough is enough, teach the bloody pedestrians how to cross a road safely… :imp: :imp: :imp:

Smee:
There are more surveillance cameras of various sorts in this country than the rest of Europe put together… :imp: Enough is enough, teach the bloody pedestrians how to cross a road safely… :imp: :imp: :imp:

You’ll be aware that they have right of way then?

briliant idea :open_mouth: just hope Red Ken impliments it in London,cos its only about 1-3mph at the moment(on a good day) :wink: :smiling_imp:

chrisy boy:
briliant idea :open_mouth: just hope Red Ken impliments it in London,cos its only about 1-3mph at the moment(on a good day) :wink: :smiling_imp:

LOL!!!

Why not just bring back the guy out front with a red flag :imp:

Mike-C:
We (in Liverpool) already have quite a few 20mph areas.

It’s 40kmh (28mph) in towns and villages around here these days. Used to be 50.

Anybody know the average speed of traffic through towns? I bet it’s less than 20mph, especially in London.
20mph instead of 30 is good for the overtime, so lets make it 10mph in towns, 30 on A roads, 35 on dual carriageways and 40 on motorways.
Better still give me a cart and a donkey to toss a carrot to every couple of miles - now that would be a far more sensible pace of life!

20mph round town will increase cyclists fatalitys. Many cyclists can and do ride at around 18/20 mph without too much hassle. So they will be mixed up in all the traffic more than normal taking more risks etc.

Mike-C:

Smee:

Oh very funny… :imp: …In the USA Jaywalking is illegal, why should drivers be responsible for pedestrian stupidity… :imp: :imp: :question:

a 20 limit in the right place can only be a good thing.
Has anyone noticed how some new estates are being designed with a through road in the middle, with no house fronts leading onto it, as a 30 or 40 and all the side roads are 20 :question: :exclamation:

You see it all the time, people just walking out without looking.

People crossing the roads when only a short walk further up their is a pedestrian crossing, or crossing right next to a pedestrian crossing, just lazy some of them, would rather run risk of being knocked down.

then drivers get the blame, its wrong!! we are easy targets.

ROG:
a 20 limit in the right place can only be a good thing

I agree with that, places like outside schools is a good idea,

Smee:

Mike-C:

Smee:

Oh very funny… :imp: …In the USA Jaywalking is illegal, why should drivers be responsible for pedestrian stupidity… :imp: :imp: :question:

Nothing funny about it. We are not in the USA. Pedestrians have right of way here.

Mike-C:

Smee:

Mike-C:

Smee:

Nothing funny about it. We are not in the USA. Pedestrians have right of way here.
[/quote]

Not in front of me … :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Mike-C:

Smee:

Mike-C:

Smee:

As far as I am concerned…when they start paying road tax they can claim right of way on the road. NOT BEFORE

That’s all very well and good Smee and Semtex, until you hit one…Mike’s right, in this country the LAW gives pedestrians Right of Way, whether you like it or not. :unamused: