2 types of driver

Right the more i think about this the more it does my head in as there seems to be two schools of thought on this subject :confused:

Roughly half the drivers i talk to believe that you can do a 15hr spread then take 9hrs off 3 times a week (nothing outstanding about that revalation i know :unamused: ) but then you can still do 15hr spreads but then take 11hrs off for the remainder of your working week and that this is perfectly legalā€¦

But the other half i talk to firmly believe that you can only do 3 x 15hrs with 9 hrs off (adding up to 24 hrs) and then only 13hrs with 11hrs off (again adding up to 24hrs) for the remainder of your working week. Their argument being that a shift period is 24hrs and 11 + 15 dont go into 24 (the answer is 26hrs for those that are struggling :stuck_out_tongue: )

Now iā€™ll be honest ive used both ways, One firm i worked for didnt like us having too many nights out so i used the 13 hr spread to my advantage (ooh look ive used all my reduced rests i have to park up now :wink: )

And another firm i worked for had you out all week regardless so i used the always 15hr approach to get in more hours

But surely both ways cant be right can they (obviously i never mixed the two ways it was either always one or always the other)

So anyway what do you do iā€™d be most interested to know which is the most popular and also are they both legal

(also if you have any official links which clearly state vosaā€™s or the policeā€™s view on this subject i would be interested to read up on that too)

you can actually do 5x15 hr shifts by doing split daily break but you nee 3 hrs i one or 2 breaks of no lesst then 1hr and then take your usually
9 hr break so you could do

1 hr +2hrs+9 hrs

2hrs + 1 hr+9 hrs

1.5hrs + 1.5 hrs+ 9 hrs

or 3hrs +9 hrs

ok i was trying to keep this as simple as possible but guaranteed thereā€™s always a smartarse who will try and complicate things :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I also know you can do split daily rests and have 2 x 2 hr breaks and 1 x 8 hrs adding up to 12 hrs off

and i also know you can do a 16hr spread

And we can get really anoraky and start spealing off about the WTD

BUT that is not what i asked :unamused:

Not having a go at you Alix its a valid point you make but i really was just interested in the basics of this subject and i dont want to open the floodgates to all the nerdy ā€œ101 ways to skin a catā€ anoraks (no i dont mean lucy :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: honest )

for split brreaks wtd doesnt have any impact

but yes simple way 3x 15 shift which is where your 9 hr breaks come from
and 3 x 13 hrs breaks of 11 hrs :wink:

Reef:
Right the more i think about this the more it does my head in as there seems to be two schools of thought on this subject :confused:

Roughly half the drivers i talk to believe that you can do a 15hr spread then take 9hrs off 3 times a week (nothing outstanding about that revalation i know :unamused: ) but then you can still do 15hr spreads but then take 11hrs off for the remainder of your working week and that this is perfectly legalā€¦

Perfectly illegal.

Reef:
But the other half i talk to firmly believe that you can only do 3 x 15hrs with 9 hrs off (adding up to 24 hrs) and then only 13hrs with 11hrs off (again adding up to 24hrs) for the remainder of your working week. Their argument being that a shift period is 24hrs and 11 + 15 dont go into 24 (the answer is 26hrs for those that are struggling :stuck_out_tongue: )

Correct, and perfectly legal. If you work even just one minute over 13 hours you have reduced you rest as there is no longer 11 hours left in that 24 hour period for a rest period. In the case of working 13 hrs and 1 min you will be having a rest of 10 hrs 59 mins, which is a reduced rest, regardless of how long you park up for between the two shifts.

Reef:
(also if you have any official links which clearly state vosaā€™s or the policeā€™s view on this subject i would be interested to read up on that too)

Any copy of the tacho rules clearly state that is the only correct way, but you can find the answer HERE - FAQ 25. Mind you that isnā€™t to say you canā€™t do 6 x 15 hour ā€˜spreadsā€™ if you shifts fall over two fixed weeks - start Friday after weekly rest and no 15 days since Monday - then finish after the Wednesday shift. :wink: Above link FAQ 24 confirms this.

Reef:
and i dont want to open the floodgates to all the nerdy ā€œ101 ways to skin a catā€ anoraks (no i dont mean lucy :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: honest )

But maybe i did mean coffeeholic :laughing: :laughing:

Only joking Neil M8 :wink: Thx for the link i could never be arsed to search through for it myself

my question to you then is this why do so many drivers and nearly all (as far as iā€™ve encountered) companies allow this major infringement and also why does it not get picked up on chart analysis?..

God this stuff does my head in :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Iā€™ll stick to what i do cause i just couldnā€™t be arsed to work it out.

Good greif !! Trying to figure out your hours of service

givea me a HEADACHE !!!

WHY dont the europrats make life easier and just say you can drive for 10 hrs a day and work 14 clock on to clock off 5 days a week and oneday at 5hrs driving and 6 hours clock on to clock off with a minimum break of 36hrs within every severn days
not to many hours and at least a day and a half off every week

Donā€™t bother learning split shift rules now, they basically go next June, youā€™ll only be able to split to 15 and 9 with 3 hours sat in one go. Those of us who rely on splitting shifts to get through the week are going to be stuffed[/i] :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink:

I dont do 15ā€™s or even 13ā€™s if i can help it.
Iā€™m on salary.So the less i can do the better.

Tony b

Reef:
my question to you then is this why do so many drivers and nearly all (as far as iā€™ve encountered) companies allow this major infringement

In the drivers case it is most likely because they have never bothered to read the regs and rely on the MMTM* version of the rules. In the companies case it must be because they arenā€™t checking charts or if they are they just donā€™t care or they also havenā€™t bother toread or donā€™t understand the regs.

Reef:
and also why does it not get picked up on chart analysis?..

If the charts are being analysed properly it will get pulled. One company I work in have just recently had a notice from their analysis company put up on the notice board in the transport office pointing out that this type of infringement has been increasing and explaining the rules in easy to understand language.

Hereā€™s a question for you in return. The drivers who are operating this way, why have they decided to do a 15 hour duty and then take an 11 hour rest? Why do they not do 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 or more hours and then take the rest? What has made them settle on 15 hours? OK, that was three questions disguised as one but they are connected :wink: :smiley:

*MTMM = My Mate Told Me

Lucy:
Donā€™t bother learning split shift rules now, they basically go next June

April. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Lucy:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink:

Lucy:

Coffeeholic:

Lucy:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink:

Yep, 11th of to be precise.

Youā€™re enjoying this far too muchā€¦ :cry: :open_mouth: :cry: :open_mouth: :cry: :open_mouth: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Lucy:
Youā€™re enjoying this far too muchā€¦ :cry: :open_mouth: :cry: :open_mouth: :cry: :open_mouth: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Not at all, Iā€™ll be sorry to see the split thing change. It takes a good deal of the flexibility away from the regs.

My feelings exactly. :cry:

Lucy:
Donā€™t bother learning split shift rules now, they basically go next June, youā€™ll only be able to split to 15 and 9 with 3 hours sat in one go. Those of us who rely on splitting shifts to get through the week are going to be stuffed[/i] :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink:
[/quote]
And those of us who want to be at home with our families will be celebrating. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

jammymutt:

Lucy:
[/quote]
And those of us who want to be at home with our families will be celebrating. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
[/quote]
The current split shift system can be the difference between getting home or not. The new system will make it harder for those that make the most of it to use it and get home, could mean extra nights out. For those that donā€™t use it there will be no change so nothing to celebrate.